Teaching children to sew

Old September 25th 03, 10:09 PM
Janner

My student was 10, and DD is 6. I am gonna start DD off on my antique
Singer, then
have her work up to the knee levered Montgomery Wards machine in cabinet.

I want her
to experience as many different kinds of machines as possible, so she'll

feel
comfortable with any of them.

They have a Singer at school that we can use, but it has a broken needle.
Can the old Singers use the modern needles? Or do we need to hunt for an
old needle? I can't remember the type, hand crank table top (no trestle
table).

--
Janner

"Quite often lately I have the feeling I don't know what's going on..." ---
Snoopy!

"You have to have a Dream!"

---

Old September 25th 03, 11:57 PM
Kate Dicey

Jalynne wrote:

My student was 10, and DD is 6. I am gonna start DD off on my antique Singer, then
have her work up to the knee levered Montgomery Wards machine in cabinet. I want her
to experience as many different kinds of machines as possible, so she'll feel
comfortable with any of them.
--
Jalynne

"Jan Dunaway" wrote in message
news
Just out of curiosity? What age is everyone starting at?? I would
think different techniques for different ages?? Also so I know when I
can start Jess!! :-)

Jan

Excellent idea!

I often teach kids to sew on my Lily (there are pix of some of my
classes on my web site), but I'm sure this spoils them for other
machines!

These kids are all years 5 & 6, so 9-11 YO's. Fun! I make sure the
machines are threaded up nicely, set to their slowest stitch, and we
just dive straight in! I pre cut the bags and pockets, but they do all
the decorating.

I was about 5 when I first started sewing (standing at Granny's treadle
because I was too little to sit at it!), 8 when I made my first wearable
garment (with Mother's help). I 'inherited' the embroidery of moon
monsters I made for my granny when I was about 6. Even then it had to
be all my own design! When I look at it now, I'm amazed at what I had
the nerve to tackle, not knowing how 'difficult' it was: the faces of
some of the monsters are woven out of 2 different threads! I must take
a picture of it - it's stashed away somewhere out of mind at the
moment...
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 26th 03, 12:38 AM
Jan Dunaway

:-) Mine is only 20 months old tomorrow!! :-) You must be having lots
of quilting fun with yours!!! :-))) Does this mean we have good taste
in names??!!

Jan

Janner wrote:

I've got to ask , another Jan (short for Janet) on this group and a daughter
called Jess as well? How old is your Jess, mine is 8 yrs old?

Old September 26th 03, 02:16 AM
Jalynne

YES, i have an oooold Singer (1910) and it uses Singer needles. THey haven't changed
in a very long time.
--
Jalynne

Old September 26th 03, 09:24 AM
Janner

:-) Mine is only 20 months old tomorrow!! :-) You must be having lots
of quilting fun with yours!!! :-))) Does this mean we have good taste
in names??!!

OH definitely, wouldn't you agree? Hehehe. Yep we're into quilting fun
now! I got her sewing when she was about 3 with lace up cards, then
aida/binca, now on to the sewing machine. It is great to have someone to
share with, plus I have an almost 5 year old as well, who is at the
aida/binca stage and can't wait to sew on a machine, so it won't be too
long.

Old September 26th 03, 02:59 PM
Jan Dunaway

That is so cool!! I had Jess on my lap when I was doing the embroidery
function on her quilt, the only thing required is pushing the pedal.
She thought that was so cool! :-) I have an old machine reserved for
her so I'm ready!!! LOL!! Here's hoping she's ready!! Lace up cards is
a great idea! Thanks! She is so busy and into everything that as soon
as she's ready I would like to start her on creative things so we can
channel some of that imagination in a positive way!! :-)

Jan

Old September 26th 03, 03:43 PM
Valkyrie

My mother sewed but I, and everyone else, was banned from the room when she
was at it. My grandmother had an old treadle machine in her bedroom and I
remember her giving me paper to run through it so I could pretend sew. I had
to stand up and 'treadle' with one foot. I got my first machine when I was 4
years old and was off to the stitches. The first thing I sewed was a dolly
blanket for my 'Quaker Oats doll cradle'. Anyone remember those? The Quaker
Oats container was laid on it's side and a section was cut out so you could
have a little rocking bed for your doll baby. I still have my first machine,
the little Singer Sew Handy. I have pictures of it on my album page.
http://photos.yahoo.com/valkyriemi

Val

ink.net...

Old September 26th 03, 04:43 PM
frood

Sure, come and get it. :-) It's a book from the 70s - I can't remember where
I picked it up. It has all sorts of wonderful patterns in it. I'll put on my
list of things to mail out. But don't stand by the mailbox yet! I'm
notoriously slow at that sort of thing.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Is there a way I can beg, borrow or steal the pattern for the soft toy

ball
pictured on the same page as your DDs first place ribbon winner? I used to
have that pattern but since I thought I was done with children I must have
tossed it.
TIA
Diana

Old September 26th 03, 05:14 PM
Valkyrie

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Is there a way I can beg, borrow or steal the pattern for the soft toy

ball
pictured on the same page as your DDs first place ribbon winner? I used to
have that pattern but since I thought I was done with children I must have
tossed it.
TIA
Diana

Is this what you are looking for??

http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa061099.htm Sew a Baby Grab Ball

Val

Old September 26th 03, 05:55 PM
frood

That is similar to mine, but mine used 2 pattern pieces - a pointed oval,
and a triangular sort of piece. Each section of the ball uses 1 oval, and 2
triangles, sewn together to make a cone shape (sort of). The ball connects
with the points of the cone, so has a solid middle. It looks like the other
pattern makes a hollow ball. Other than that, they are very similar. :-)