Teaching Embroidery to Children

Old June 17th 04, 07:10 AM
Liz Hampton

Default Teaching Embroidery to Children

Has anyone taken this EGA correspondence course? The teacher is Barbara
Herring. My EGA group, bless their hearts, is paying for me to take the
class. I can't seem to make up my mind whether the whole idea is fun or
scary! :-) I haven't heard from the teacher yet, only from the EGA
secretary confirming the enrollment in the class. Hmmm. I wonder who I
will use for guinea pigs???

Another member of the group & I helped a Daisy/Brownie troop stitch their
initials on felt cup holders last month, but that was just for fun - no
class involved. Wait a minute - that didn't come out right. We may have
held our pinkies out while we drank our punch, so there was obviously some
class there, but it wasn't for credit. ;-))) I have no idea what kind of
stitch some of the girls ended up doing, but they all seemed to be having a
good time and were very proud of their cup holders. Some were actually
doing a double running stitch & we figure they'll be ready for reversible
blackwork in a few years if we keep at them. :-)) Others were just happy to
be making something with "grown up needles" .
Liz from Humbug

Old June 17th 04, 12:55 PM
Debbie Hamann

What a cool idea..I am a Brownie leader and we will be working on the
Stitching Try-it next year. Were the felt cup holders already made?
If not, was there a pattern for them?

thanks
debbie

Old June 17th 04, 02:10 PM
Joan Erickson

Nice to see you back here, Liz!!! Must have gotten your computer
problems straightened out!

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old June 17th 04, 05:35 PM
Liz Hampton

What a cool idea..I am a Brownie leader and we will be working on the
Stitching Try-it next year. Were the felt cup holders already made?
If not, was there a pattern for them?

thanks
debbie

They were made by the time we got there, but we did the making. We used a
pattern that another EGA member had used for a machine embroidery class. I
made a template and cut out 25 of them. (When you have the felt cut from
the bolt, make sure the cutter is careful to cut it STRAIGHT so that you get
the full width all the way down.) My EGA helper then used her sewing
machine to sew the Velcro pieces on the ends of the felt shapes. I used
light brown felt & used some yellow #3 DMC Perle Cotton. I did a sample
using my own initials & pre threaded 24 needles with long enough lengths to
do one initial plus some. We used a laundry marker to write the girls'
initials on the pieces and actually put the needle in where we wanted the
girls to start. As each girl finished her thread, we would grab another and
one of the moms would thread & knot another so that no one had to wait for
her next needle.
Liz from Humbug

Embroidery software futa Machine Knit 0 February 6th 05 06:13 AM
Japanese Embroidery Ctr - Mary Monica & Dianne Please Read Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 11 December 5th 03 10:10 PM
Books about Stitches - longish list Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 20 August 8th 03 07:27 AM
CHINESE EMBROIDERY HISTORY & MORE Zoe Marketplace 0 August 7th 03 06:46 AM