Teaching children to sew

Old September 26th 03, 06:00 PM
Diana Curtis

Is there a way I can beg, borrow or steal the pattern for the soft toy ball
pictured on the same page as your DDs first place ribbon winner? I used to
have that pattern but since I thought I was done with children I must have
tossed it.
TIA
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"frood" wrote in message
DD#1 and DS both started hand-sewing at age 6 (Miss Fussy Rose will start
next year). DS did not have the fine motor dexterity to finish that

summer,
so he completed his first (and prize winning) quilt the next year. It is
hand-pieced and machine quilted.
http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/state_fair1.htm

DD#1's paper pieced quilt was machine done - she was 9 or 10.
http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/state_fair.htm

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Jan Dunaway" wrote in message
news
Just out of curiosity? What age is everyone starting at?? I would
think different techniques for different ages?? Also so I know when I
can start Jess!! :-)

Jan

Old September 26th 03, 07:07 PM
Diana Curtis

Thats ok. Im notoriously slow at making things. Marcus will be lucky if he
gets it for Christmas next year.
Thanks Wendy!
Diana
ps, I only need the pattern, I remember how to make it.

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"frood" wrote in message
.. .
Sure, come and get it. :-) It's a book from the 70s - I can't remember

where
I picked it up. It has all sorts of wonderful patterns in it. I'll put on

my
list of things to mail out. But don't stand by the mailbox yet! I'm
notoriously slow at that sort of thing.

Old September 26th 03, 08:47 PM
Janner

How about a shoelace and some empty old cotton reels to thread up. Helps
with the co-ordination and gets them used to a sewing action, of sorts. Or
large old buttons, sometimes you can buy them especially for children, and a
shoelace again.

Have fun ))
--
Janner

"Quite often lately I have the feeling I don't know what's going on..." ---
Snoopy!

"You have to have a Dream!"

"Jan Dunaway" wrote in message
ink.net...
That is so cool!! I had Jess on my lap when I was doing the embroidery
function on her quilt, the only thing required is pushing the pedal.
She thought that was so cool! :-) I have an old machine reserved for
her so I'm ready!!! LOL!! Here's hoping she's ready!! Lace up cards is
a great idea! Thanks! She is so busy and into everything that as soon
as she's ready I would like to start her on creative things so we can
channel some of that imagination in a positive way!! :-)

Jan

---

Old September 27th 03, 12:52 AM
Elizabeth Young

frood wrote:

That is similar to mine, but mine used 2 pattern pieces - a pointed oval,
and a triangular sort of piece. Each section of the ball uses 1 oval, and 2
triangles, sewn together to make a cone shape (sort of). The ball connects
with the points of the cone, so has a solid middle. It looks like the other
pattern makes a hollow ball. Other than that, they are very similar. :-)

Oh, I know! I know!
The 'triangular sort of piece' was a 1/4 of a circle. Two of those and
the pointy oval make one unit.

liz young in sunny california

Old September 27th 03, 02:37 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

I started my granddaughter, Sierra, when she was 7 and she was visiting
here. I sat her at my machine and told her how to line things up and
what buttons to push when. She took right to it with no problems! She
made a quilted pot holder, 3 small pillows and a small 9 patch WH. Of
course, being MY granddarling, she is exceptionally intelligent..... and
beautiful..... and sweet, etc. I'm NOT prejudiced or anything!

I have taught many adults to sew/quilt and Sierra was MUCH easier to
teach. She had no preconceived ideas or fears and she *paid attention*
to what I said to her. And she wanted to do this "just like Grandma
Leslie" so she had a great incentive to learn so we could share quilting
together. And she is still sewing on her own a year later! Yippee yoo!

Leslie proud granny of another quilter

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life... they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

Old September 27th 03, 12:48 PM
frood

Yeah, that's it! I guess my brain was addled from twin baby-making at the
time when I made those!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Elizabeth Young" wrote in message
et...

Old September 30th 03, 04:12 PM
Diana Curtis

Thank you Val, that is very similar, but the one I remember has two pattern
pieces. Ive looked for it online and havent seen it. I appreciate you
looking for me.
Diana

--
"Valkyrie" wrote in message

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Is there a way I can beg, borrow or steal the pattern for the soft toy

ball
pictured on the same page as your DDs first place ribbon winner? I used

have that pattern but since I thought I was done with children I must

have
tossed it.
TIA
Diana