Discussion: the market for the contemporary Chinese porcelain & ceramic arts

Old November 18th 04, 05:09 PM
S. S.

Default Discussion: the market for the contemporary Chinese porcelain & ceramic arts

Dear list,

I do not know whether this is the right place for this question. If
not I appreciate someone can refer me to the right place.

I would like to know the current market condition in USA and worldwide
for the contemporary Chinese porcelain & ceramic arts. First let me
define a couple of things. By "contemporary" I am talking about works
currently produced by the artists in their 50 ~ 70's years old. And I
am not talking about mass productions, but the artistic porcelain &
ceramic works with highest possible quality based of the most current
state-of-art. Each and every one of them is uniquely hand made
(including the whole process of mold, paint, and fire, etc) by the
artists in JingDeZhen area. They are usually decorative items like
vases, plates, and etc. And what is painted on them usually is Chinese
style painting or calligraphy. I hope I explain clearly what items I
am talking about. For them, is there a market or demand existing at
all world wide in general and in the USA particularly? If so, what
kind of market or demand we have for them? Thanks!

K.S.
Old November 19th 04, 02:46 PM
Slgraber

there's always a market for good work, but what you describe shouldn't be
distributed thru the wallmarts of america.

there are small shops all around that are always looking for classic ware.
there's actually 2 in my small town of claremont, california.

the one shop owner in claremont travels to china about twice a year to visit
the villages hidden away for classic ware. i have bought many of his artwork.
jade, scrimshaw, cut rocks, ink-painted inside glass jars, etc.

i have no idea how you can get in contact with anyone beyond this one shop
owner i know. ~ unless you do what he does and come HERE for a while and
search for your proper style store.

or, since you didn't say where you were and i assume you're in china, contact
the US console office. (consolet? how's it spelled? spell check doesn't even
know...)

you might get access to lists to help focus a group with your ware.

see ya

steve

Subject: Discussion: the market for the contemporary Chinese porcelain &
ceramic arts