"Redwork" and Vintage Stitching....

Old July 23rd 03, 03:37 PM
Lula

Default "Redwork" and Vintage Stitching....

Hello Linda,

I think you will really enjoy trying out "redwork"
embroidery......especially if you get one of the following books to
inspire and show you how.......that's how I got hooked on this type of
stitchery.....Pam Kellogg sent me the Linen Heirloom book as a
gift.....and then I sent her Embroidered Childhood Memories.......then
we bought went to a Michaels using a 40% off coupon to buy the Vintage
book! We're both crazy about vintage needlework patterns and the
techniques to create!

Here are the books that Pam and I both have.......each of the books have
easy to understand instructions, historical background info and
excellent selection of vintage patterns in black and white line drawings
to work, and color illustrations of finished projects.

There are other similar titles listed on the back cover of these books.

Learn to do Redwork
Produced by Rita Weiss
Pub: 1999 - American School of Needlework
ISBN: 0-88195-915-4
$15.95

Embroidered Childhood Memories
Authors: Brenna Hopkins & Nori Koenig
Pub: 2002 - American Quilter's Society
ISBN: 1-57432-792-5
$19.99

Vintage - Tinted Linens - Quilts
Authors: Brenna Hopkins & Nori Koenig
Pub: 2002 - Design Originals by Suzanne McNeill
$19.99

Linen Heirlooms - Vintage Linens
Authors: Brenna Hopkins & Nori Koenig
Pub: 2000 - Design Originals by Suzanne Mcneill
$19.99
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Linda Wright wrote:

I'd love to know how to do this or a book I could learn from - sounds
like something I would like to do!

Linda in Columbia, MO

Lula wrote in message ...
FYI......the recent Martha Stewart Living magazine has a feature on bird
embroidery patterns similar to vintage red and bluework
designs.......these designs embroidered with a single floss color in a
simple outline stitch, the most popular thread color used being red,
known as Redwork.

The article features a good selection of State bird motifs to stitch.
Many birds in line drawings to choose from.

In stitching this type of embroidery, any thread color can be used or a
combination of colors to differentiate areas of the design but the main
point of this embroidery is the use of the basically simple outline
stitch to follow a line drawing, creating a piece of decorative
embroidery.

Many of these "redwork" pieces were stitched as squares and made into
quilts.....in fact my designer friend Pam Kellogg has designed and is
stitching a redwork quilt right now to go with her vintage style home.
(Martha Stewart suggests stitching the State bird motifs into a quilt).

In fact, I've learned a lot of vintage stitching ideas from Pam
Kellogg.....in fact, we're both planning to use an iron-on crayon
technique we read about in a vintage embroidery book to create pastel
colored embroidered squares using muslin to imitate the feed sacks used
during the 30's.

It was a good excuse to buy the biggest box of Crayola crayons available
in anticipation of using them to create art for iron-on designs. Thanks
to Pam, this has opened a whole new design window for me.....a new
technique to try and a new outlet for my drawings. The designs can be
very country or very elegant depending on the art used......so many
possibilities!!
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Old July 23rd 03, 09:26 PM
FKBABB

in fact, we're both planning to use an iron-on crayon
technique we read about in a vintage embroidery book to create pastel
colored embroidered squares using muslin to imitate the feed sacks used
during the 30's.

It was a good excuse to buy the biggest box of Crayola crayons available
in anticipation of using them to create art for iron-on designs.

In her book "Needlework Magic," Jane Iles includes several projects combining
the iron-on crayon technique with embroidery. Stunning, surprisingly designs,
most with an East Asian feel, based on textiles from the V & A. She specifies
a crayon especially made for this type of work by Crayola, called a "fabric
transfer crayon." I wonder what the difference is between this and what's in
the kids' coloring box.

Annie
Old July 24th 03, 08:32 AM
Lula

I purchased a set of the Crayola fabric transfer crayons out of
curiosity after reading your post......I might also have the Jane Iles
book, will search the bookshelves.....would love to see her "crayon"
project.

From reading the package info and directions on how-to use......these
crayons are used to transfer drawings onto fabric.....as in creating an
iron-on pattern.
These fabric crayons are especially good for the transfer of permanent
color patterns to synthetic and synthetic blend fabrics.
The basic technique explained in my simple terms: use the crayons to
draw and color chosen motifs on paper........lay paper on fabric with
the design face down on fabric and iron.......the paper design can be
used again as the process creates an iron-on pattern.

There are eight fairly dark colors in the package set.....a limited
palette but I imagine more effects can be created layering colors, the
amount of pressure applied and whatever other techniques one can dream
up.

I think the main difference between the transfer crayons vs the regular
Crayola colors are the transfer crayons are noted on the package to be
PERMANENT colors once transfered to fabric by hot iron.

So far, I've not had the chance to try out the technique of crayon
tinting muslin......I think Pam Kellogg has done some samples.....maybe
she'll post and explain what her experience has been.

Since this question was brought up, now wondering if I can use fine art
materials, the professional quality ones that feature high pigment
content such as color pencils......I have complete sets of every brand
in water color and regular color pencils and there are differences from
brand to brand. My favorites are the Swiss made Caran d'Ache and the
German made Faber-Castell - Albrecht Durer........also have a set of
high pigment painting "crayons" by Caran d'Ache, Neocolor sticks given
to me by an artist friend......well, the only way to find out is to
experiment.......I hope to get to doing this soon.

Since I was out at the local Michael's checking out the crayon
dept.....saw another brand of crayons that looked like the Crayola
brands. In fact, the brand had the same product lines, markers, color
pencils and so on with the same exact color and style of packaging too
for most of the products.

I bought the set of 101 colors, a few more than the 96 Crayola colors.
The 101 crayons are packed in a very useful, see through hard plastic
easel case that opens and props up the crayons for easy access of every
crayon color.....comes with a built in sharpener......the brand,
RoseArt, made in Taiwan....Crayolas are made in Easton, PA. Prices are
similar.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com