Old September 25th 03, 05:16 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Janner" wrote:

Do any of you have advice on how to teach 8 + 9 years old to sew?

We are going to make Christmas stockings. Hopefully I'll be teaching them
in pairs, but I have no experience of teaching other people's children and
some of them are strong characters! Is that polite enough....

How do I handle them - at arm's length I know.

Now wondering why I was so keen to help )

I've taught a couple of kids camps - 8 kids age 9 and up. I always
started them sewing on paper with no thread. I printed parallel lines
on plain old computer paper and they were simply to try and follow the
lines. Once they got familiar with that I gave them a sheet with zig
zag lines and I taught them how to pivot with the needle down. Then on
to a sheet of paper with curves. They really enjoyed this because they
could see if they were on the line by looking that their needle
perforations and they kinda felt like it was an old fashioned video game
:-) Plus they got to do something right away without having to listen
to a bunch of talking by me first.

Next came how to wind a bobbin and thread the machine.

After this I gave them strips of fabric to sew together. They had to
sew a straight seam, press it and measure it to see if it was really
straight and the right finished size.

Then came the seam ripper lesson. Taught this way, taking things out
was never viewed as a chore, just part of the process. I now do this
step with my adult beginner classes and it works just as well for them.

Finally they get to cut out some of their own pieces and sew them
together.

Take breaks. Bring a little snack and water to drink for everyone even
you.

At the final class I always give out certificates I make up on the
computer and take a polaroid picture of them with their project and that
is always a huge hit.

Stock up on headache medicine of choice...they will keep you hopping!

marcella