Old September 25th 03, 04:28 PM
Jalynne

What Wendy said! This is how I taught my student last year, it's how my mom taught
me and my brother and sisters, and her students in high school, and it's how I'm
teaching DD.
--
Jalynne

"frood" wrote in message
I taught 2 of my kids (so far) both hand and machine sewing. For machine
sewing, after pointing out the important stuff we know like putting the
presser foot down, and how to push the pedal (it's amazing how easily we do
these things that it is second nature, but beginners don't know how!), I had
them sew on lines drawn on paper (no thread) to get the hang of steering.
Next came large squares, to practise pivoting. There is a book (I think
there is a series of them, actually) called I Teach Myself to Sew (or
something), but we just used paper.

My kids both used scissors to cut pieces out, or I cut them with the rotary
cutter. DD#1 is now mature enough to handle the rotary cutter (she's 11,
going on impossible), but I did get her a Klutz glove and automatically
retracting cutter.

Have you picked out a pattern? Is it piecing or whole cloth? Stitch & flip
crazy quilting style on a foundation would be simple to do, then cut it to
size/shape, and put the backing on.

Use lots of patience, take deep breaths, have chocolate handy. And remember,
if it doesn't turn out the way the pattern shows, it's ok. It's the process
that's important!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Janner" wrote in message
Do any of you have advice on how to teach 8 + 9 years old to sew?

We are going to make Christmas stockings. Hopefully I'll be teaching them
in pairs, but I have no experience of teaching other people's children and
some of them are strong characters! Is that polite enough....

How do I handle them - at arm's length I know.

Now wondering why I was so keen to help )

--
Janner

"Quite often lately I have the feeling I don't know what's going

Snoopy!

"You have to have a Dream!"

---