CraftBanter

-   Yarn (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Another Mohair Question (Question #2) (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=44265)

m1h January 16th 05 07:05 PM

Another Mohair Question (Question #2)

I have two balls of chunky mohair that I bought to play with, but can't
figure out what to do with. Everything I try comes out thick and stiff
even on the largest needles. Any ideas?

Mark

Richard Eney January 16th 05 09:08 PM

In article ,
m1h wrote:
I have two balls of chunky mohair that I bought to play with, but can't
figure out what to do with. Everything I try comes out thick and stiff
even on the largest needles. Any ideas?

The largest needles I know of are size 50. They are about one inch in
diameter. If it's stiff and thick on those, I guess you could try
crocheting it into a rug.

Is it stiff even before you use it? If so, it may have some sizing in it.
Try washing a piece of it to see whether it comes out softer.

=Tamar

Richard Eney January 16th 05 09:37 PM

In article ,
m1h wrote:
Actually, in the ball it seems quite soft. When knit it feels like my
woolen overcoat, which is still on the stiff side.

I have two balls of chunky mohair that I bought to play with, but can't
figure out what to do with. Everything I try comes out thick and stiff
even on the largest needles. Any ideas?

Are you twisting it tighter when you knit it?

Some years ago there was a book called "Hard Crochet" that was about
using certain synthetic rug yarns to crochet very tightly and make
hats that were waterproof and held their shape. Maybe this yarn could
be used to crochet a shaped hat.

=Tamar