CraftBanter

-   Beads (http://www.craftbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kiln Advice (http://www.craftbanter.com/showthread.php?t=82704)

[email protected] April 10th 07 05:09 PM

Kiln Advice

Hello all : ) After lamping for a few months , my partner and I are
ready for a kiln . Any input , advice , recommendations would truly be
appreciated . What a dizzying array of kilns there are ... capabilities
, size , wiring requirements . We are two ladies torching in a detatched
garage , with normal household current . We're not doing any fusing ,
but who knows what'll pique our interest next week ? Thanks bunches for
any help .

Lou Ann

Barbara Forbes-Lyons April 11th 07 01:14 AM

Kiln Advice

Take a look at the Jen-Ken with the digital controller and bead door. It
will give you a lot of flexibility in terms of annealing, fusing, PMC,
enameling, etc.

Barbara

Bead & Polymer Clay Votary

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

http://www.penguintrax.com and http://www.backseatgrammarian.com
NEW! http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com

Patti April 11th 07 03:34 AM

Kiln Advice

I have a Jen Ken kiln with a digital controller which I use for
fusing. I've been very pleased with it. I bought it from Centre de
Verre. There's a lot of information on the warmglass site on kilns -
www.warmglass.com. While a lot of the info will be primarily about
fusing, it will give you an idea of which brands are good and which
ones to avoid. www.isgb.org gives a lot of kiln info in their forum
archives.
Patti

Christy Phelps April 11th 07 10:45 PM

Kiln Advice

I bought a kiln from Arrow Springs 4 years ago and (knock wood) haven't had
a bit of trouble with it. It's a firebrick kiln with a bead door that also
has the option of being closed for fusing. I can do beads, PMC, fusing in
it. Very dependable and (what's the word) = multitasking... (senior moment)

HTH

live and be well,
Christy

http://www.christyphelpsglass.com