OT questions about chemo treatments

Old January 18th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default OT questions about chemo treatments

My mom is going to start chemo and radiation treatments for her breast
cancer pretty soon. I have some questions about how I can help her thru
this. If you've experienced either and are willing to answer some (possibly
personal) questions for me, please email me at quilteacher at yahoo dot
com

Thanks a bunch!

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

Old January 18th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews Moore

Hi Leslie, just click reply to answer to my email address I might can help
as I went through this with my mom.
Barbara inFL.

Old January 18th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon

On Jan 18, 3:59*pm, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:
My mom is going to start chemo and radiation treatments for her breast
cancer pretty soon. *I have some questions about how I can help her thru
this. *If you've experienced either and are willing to answer some (possibly
personal) questions for me, please email me at quilteacher *at *yahoo *dot
com

Thanks a bunch!

Leslie, Missy & The Furbabies in MO.

Both sisters have gone thru this ... they both complained about being
cold all the time. I got them those big wooly work socks for one
thing - a quilt with a flannel backing is great too. All the best to
your Mum.

Sharon (N.B.)
Old January 18th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Thanks Sharon! I'm working on a snuggle quilt for her, but had planned to
use a coordinating batik for the backing. I'm going to re-think that one-
the flannel is a good idea, but they live outside Phoenix and it's going to
be pretty warm during her treatments-- at least outdoors it will be warm.
Hmmmmm...

Hope your sisters are doing well.

Old January 18th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Yes, but hospitals are ALWAYS cold - I've never gone through chemo, but I've
spent LOTS of time in the hospital getting tests for this and that done.
Even in the middle of our summer (where it's between 89-101 on average), if
I'm going to the hospital, I bring a sweater or two!!

--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

Old January 18th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews Moore

Mom was always cold, even when she was sitting in the sun during 88 degree
temps.
Barbara in FL

Old January 18th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

SewVeryCreative wrote:
Yes, but hospitals are ALWAYS cold - I've never gone through chemo, but I've
spent LOTS of time in the hospital getting tests for this and that done.
Even in the middle of our summer (where it's between 89-101 on average), if
I'm going to the hospital, I bring a sweater or two!!

An inside that's kept a constant temp feels much cooler when it's hotter
outside. Our gym is the same temp all year round, I know because they
have units with the temp on them everywhere. When I go in there in
winter, I feel fine with a medium weight clothes on. When it's been
really hot in summer, I can go in in the same clothes and feel
unpleasantly cold.

Anne
Old January 18th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Bobbie Sews Moore wrote:
Mom was always cold, even when she was sitting in the sun during 88 degree
temps.

If they do the icepacks on the head to reduce the chance of hair loss
she'll be even colder, it doesn't seem all that common to offer that though.

Anne
Old January 19th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

I found that my dear friend Anne liked the fleece backing I did for her!
--
Estelle UK
Gallagher one one at btinternet.com

You are never too old to become the person you should have been!
My photos are here!
http://community.webshots.com/user/EstelleUK11

Old January 19th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Your Mom will lose her hair and her scalp will become very tender.
She will need a cap or hat of some kind to keep her body heat in. You
lose most body heat through your head. Baseball caps with those
adjustable plastic things on the back are very painful. A cap made of
fleece or knit cap or toboggan as some folks call them are great. A
wig can be very painful if it has a web or netting on the inside. Not
too tight. The seams of a lot of hats and caps are very hard on the
scalp and hurt like the dickens. A hat, in the summer time, with a
brim will help shade the eyes.

A full size hug quilt is the best with a flannel backing keeps the
patient warmer than the usual cotton fabic backing. A lap quilt is
not big enough to keep out the chill.

With the radiation treatments the skin will be burned badly like a 3rd
degree sunburn. One thing I recommend it a product called Aquaphor by
Eucerin. Its a healing ointment. This is applied after her radiation
treatments are completed. This ointment should be applied very gently
as the skin is very tender. Once the skin has started to heal it will
become very dry and itchy. Aquaphor helps greatly to stop the pain
and itching. It can be found in most drug stores. I am not
affiliated with the company, my doctor recommended I use it and I got
great results.

Can you find her a hospital gown that has snaps on the shoulders so
they can be undone easily without having to get undressed. Those
things that tie in the back and around the neck are a real pain to
wear.

When your Mom goes for her treatments go with her. She will never
tell you that she feels less scared with you there, but she will. Her
attitude about the whole process will be a big factor in her going
through her treatments and them being successful.

Remember that a big tote bag will carry a lot of things. Easier to
handle than a purse and can be hung on the handles of a wheelchair.
Two things in the tote bag, tissues and bottled water.

Hope this helps.

Kate T. South Mississippi

chemo pami Quilting 43 September 20th 06 09:25 PM
Arts and Crafts Style Window Treatments MAK Sewing 8 April 16th 04 11:57 PM
Textile treatments ......makes you wonder Aud Yarn 8 January 29th 04 06:59 PM
Advice please: melt-in surface treatments? David Blood-Deschamps Glass 0 August 29th 03 03:54 PM