A knitted "onesie"

Old December 5th 13, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

Default A knitted "onesie"

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/936773_766425373371157_1724069263_n.jpg
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old December 6th 13, 04:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 12/5/2013 1:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/936773_766425373371157_1724069263_n.jpg

The mind, and imagination, boggles!
Old December 6th 13, 04:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 12/5/2013 10:00 PM, Gillian Murray wrote:
On 12/5/2013 1:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/936773_766425373371157_1724069263_n.jpg

The mind, and imagination, boggles!

However, Sheena, you are old enough to remember Winnie Churchill's siren
suit in WW 2, don't you?

Old December 7th 13, 04:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 12/6/2013 6:59 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 22:03:29 -0500, Gillian Murray
wrote:

On 12/5/2013 10:00 PM, Gillian Murray wrote:
On 12/5/2013 1:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/936773_766425373371157_1724069263_n.jpg

The mind, and imagination, boggles!

However, Sheena, you are old enough to remember Winnie Churchill's siren
suit in WW 2, don't you?

Very definitely!! I had a red one and it was on the foot of the bed,
handy for when the siren went off. It was auto reaction, siren,
wake, drag siren suit on, start for shelter!

You know, I always thought it was normal to get up in the night like
that. I loved my siren suit but the bathing suit my granny knitted
for me, not so much ! It stretched but it also irritated the skin so
for the longest time I just wore my underwear for swimming. We were
not allowed to go on the beach, there was barbed wire to prevent
against invasion but there were some lovely rivers in our area so we
went there.

I remember the barbed wire on the beach at Teignmouth!

I also remember the lovely blue and yellow two piece swimsuit my mother
knitted for me. Obviously, it had not been designed to be immersed in
water, as the top was around the waist, and the bottoms around my knees
when I got out of the sea!! Terribly embarrassed, though there wasn't
much too show at that age.

I also had the brightest, most sickly looking silk nighty, made out of a
parachute my mother and her friends had acquired. Probably why I dislike
silk to this day!

Gil
Old December 16th 13, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 12/5/2013 12:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/936773_766425373371157_1724069263_n.jpg

Bruce, you do find the most interesting items!!!! LOLOL! Are you the
model???

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old December 17th 13, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

Looks like someon had a bit too much time and yarn on thier hands....

Old December 17th 13, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

On 16/12/2013 22:13, Joan Erickson wrote:
On 12/5/2013 12:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/936773_766425373371157_1724069263_n.jpg

Bruce, you do find the most interesting items!!!! LOLOL! Are you the
model???

I doubt whether I'd have the strength to put it on let alone stand up in
it. And what happens if you go out wearing it in the rain?
Bruce
Old December 17th 13, 08:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shirley

On 17/12/2013 03:33, Bruce wrote:
On 16/12/2013 22:13, Joan Erickson wrote:
On 12/5/2013 12:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/936773_766425373371157_1724069263_n.jpg

Bruce, you do find the most interesting items!!!! LOLOL! Are you the
model???

I doubt whether I'd have the strength to put it on let alone stand up in
it. And what happens if you go out wearing it in the rain?
Bruce

The gusset would probably drop down to your knees.

Like the swim suit my mother knitted for me during WW11. Since wool was
not available she knitting it in the yarn that was being produced. When
I went to the swimming baths first time wearing it at a mixed session, I
got in the water and immediateness the waist was round my bottom and my
new bosom on full view. I hastily gathered yards of wet fabric up to
hide my modesty and blushes and rushed to the changing room.
I went back to wearing the darned moth eaten one donated by a neighbour.
It dated back to the 1920's. Can laugh about it now but it was not funny
at the time

--
Shirley
www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old December 18th 13, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 12/16/2013 10:33 PM, Bruce wrote:
On 16/12/2013 22:13, Joan Erickson wrote:
On 12/5/2013 12:51 PM, Bruce wrote:
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/q71/936773_766425373371157_1724069263_n.jpg

Bruce, you do find the most interesting items!!!! LOLOL! Are you the
model???

I doubt whether I'd have the strength to put it on let alone stand up in
it. And what happens if you go out wearing it in the rain?
Bruce

My husband saw this on a totally different site, here in the US. I told
him there weren't enough sheep for the wool, and I didn't have enough
years to make it. LOL

Gillian
Old December 18th 13, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

On 12/17/2013 2:57 AM, Shirley wrote:
[...]

Shirley, I remember my mother very proudly knitted me a blue and yellow
two piece swim suit...maybe just at the end of the war, when things were
hard to get. I will never forget rising from the ocean like aphrodite,
hands covering the non-existant bust LOLOL. I also remember the ghastly
bilious yellow silk nighty she made me from a parachute which someone
had obtained. Yuck!!

WE must be close to the same age..I was born in 1936.

Gillian