How to form patina on brass?

Old October 2nd 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.crafts.metalworking
Norm Dresner

Default How to form patina on brass?

I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it look
old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do that or
do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

TIA
Norm
Old October 3rd 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it

look
old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do

that or
do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

TIA
Norm

Bury it in wet earth for a day or two

AWEM

Old October 3rd 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner[_2_]

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it look
old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do that or
do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

TIA
Norm

I did some repair work on an casting that was part of an antique easel for
an art dealer. I matched the patina with an airbrush with layers of
woodworking stains finished with a clear coat. The dealer said that the job
was perfect.

Old October 3rd 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Norm Dresner wrote:

I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it look
old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do that or
do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

TIA
Norm

I use a chemical sold as "Liver of Sulphur" by some jewelry supply and
crafts shops.

http://tinyurl.com/2xtgzw

Works great for me.

HTH,

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old October 3rd 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl

When Norm Dresner put fingers to keys it was 10/2/07 12:12 PM...

I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it look
old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do that or
do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

Pack it in sawdust in a waterproof container.
**** on it for a couple of weeks.
Really.

- Carl
Old October 3rd 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it look
old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do that or
do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

TIA
Norm

Check in Machinery's Handbook-----where it details how to color brass and
bronze.

Harold

Old October 3rd 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Werby

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it look
old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do that or
do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

TIA
Norm

[Try sealing it up in a plastic bag with some open containers of household
ammonia.]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

Old October 3rd 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.crafts.metalworking
jb

On Oct 2, 11:12 am, "Norm Dresner" wrote:
I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it look
old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do that or
do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

TIA

After cleaning a brass black powder revolver, take a wet dirty patch
(such as one that just cleaned the bore) and wipe the brass and let it
set. The black powder residue really makes a gun look very old in a
short time.

Old October 3rd 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

**** on it.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old October 3rd 07, 09:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:15:20 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Carl
wrote:

When Norm Dresner put fingers to keys it was 10/2/07 12:12 PM...

I have a brass casting that I've used in a piece and need to make it look
old and weathered. Are there any household chemicals that will do that or
do I need to purchase a specialty chemical?

Pack it in sawdust in a waterproof container.
**** on it for a couple of weeks.
Really.

- Carl

And Abrasha also replied,,

**** on it.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

For the squeemish, if you've got a cat, you've got a ready made agent. Save
some of the dampened/used cat litter from the cat's litter pan (just the litter.
You don't need the cat crap), and bury the item in that. Cat **** is rather
more concentrated than human, so works very well. And the granular litter will
give somewhat spotty grainy contact with the metal, giving an interesting
texture to the patina. Seal up the container you're doing this in so it
doesn't dry out.

For the even more squeemish, or those without a cat, use sand or cat litter
sawdust or whatever, and pour in a little household ammonia. Also mix in some
table salt. Stir well and bury the item in this mess. Stir it a bit every now
and then till you like the finish.

Both these methods often give you some nice blue/green corrosion products. If
all you wish is dark grey/black, then sulphur compounds like liver of sulphur
work well. Or try egg yolks, which also have sulphur. Takes longer. Liver of
Sulphur can do the job in minutes.

Peter Rowe

Patina Issue.... Jman Glass 5 July 29th 07 03:07 PM
Transfer Coin / Token Impressions to Rubber Stamp Form... Could someone inform me as to how it might be possible to transfer the impression on a coin (actually, small brass arcade tokens) to a functional rubber stamp? I wish to do exactly this wi Dr. Sooz Rubberstamps 4 August 1st 05 03:17 AM
Transfer Coin / Token Impressions to Rubber Stamp Form... Couldsomeone inform me as to how it might be possible to transfer the impressionon a coin (actually, small brass arcade tokens) to a functional rubber stamp?I wish to do exactly this with Barbara Hass Rubberstamps 1 July 31st 05 09:13 PM
Brass patina wanted Bill Cademy Glass 3 December 21st 04 03:12 AM
Wood patina George G Carving 0 July 6th 03 09:52 PM