OT who? oil painting artists here?

Old September 2nd 12, 04:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT who? oil painting artists here?

I have a very strange request from my sister and need some help. When her
granddaughter was visiting here, I had sketched 3 hummingbirds. I painted
one, she painted one (hers looks like a fuzzy purple duck) =) and there is
one who is still just a sketch.
The canvas 'as is' is a special moment - and sister asked for it.
I need some shared thoughts. Will the landscape, seascape, still life
artists here please identify yourselves? Polly

Old September 2nd 12, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 22:56:02 -0500, Polly Esther wrote:

I have a very strange request from my sister and need some help. When
her granddaughter was visiting here, I had sketched 3 hummingbirds. I
painted one, she painted one (hers looks like a fuzzy purple duck) =)
and there is one who is still just a sketch.
The canvas 'as is' is a special moment - and sister asked for it. I
need some shared thoughts. Will the landscape, seascape, still life
artists here please identify yourselves? Polly

I used to paint in oils, but gave it up for kids and cats. Multi-colored
paw prints do make a decorative touch to furniture and floors though. DH
is hyper-sensitive to fumes from a lot of the turps and what have you so
he was pleased. I jumped to acrylics and found that I could do a
painting a whole lot faster that way. I generally work in glazes so you
can imagine how long that takes in oils. I did have to learn a wholly
different pigment system.
I do a variety of subjects. I have done some birds for Roger Tory
Peterson Institute competitions, I've done Lucy the Diva and other
assorted Lucille Ball themed paintings for Lucyfest competitions, I did a
hands series just to get better at them, and so forth. I seldom do plain
landscapes, but I have done a fair few still lives, often to use as
inspiration for sewing or needlework.

Relatives especially, always want the painting before it is finished.
It's like a rule or something.

NightMist

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 4th 12, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ramona Walker

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012 22:56:02 -0500, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I have a very strange request from my sister and need some help. When her
granddaughter was visiting here, I had sketched 3 hummingbirds. I painted
one, she painted one (hers looks like a fuzzy purple duck) =) and there is
one who is still just a sketch.
The canvas 'as is' is a special moment - and sister asked for it.
I need some shared thoughts. Will the landscape, seascape, still life
artists here please identify yourselves? Polly

Are you wanting to keep it for your own memento? Offer to send a
photo of the piece. I do projects with my granddaughter all the time
and she keeps some and I keep some to have the special memory.

Are you close to the child or is it an issue that your sister asked
for it? I assume you weren't planning to finish the piece as a state
fair contest entry if the child already painted one of the birds! I
try to keep my special projects out of sight of the grandkids or I
would also have lots of "help" finishing them, mostly because I can't
resist those sweet faces.

I'm so glad you are sharing the joy of painting with another
generation. At 14, my nephew has begun painting with spray can/air
brush and is showing lots of talent. He was always my craft buddy and
still loves to spend time in my craft room trying new things. Haven't
got him stitching yet but at age 2 he knew the difference between
string and floss and that some of my fabric was off limits, as was my
cross stitching frame. He got the vocabulary right as well - time
well spent as his day care auntie! Moni
Old September 5th 12, 01:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Nay, I'm happy that my sister would like to have it. I was wanting to photo
it and share it with someone else who paints. *Somehow* I need to make the
background colorful/soft without touching the birds and would welcome
another painter's imagination. Polly

Old September 5th 12, 10:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Well if you have six months to spend mostly watching paint dry I could
tell you how I would do. Unfortunately glazing techniques are probably
the easiest way to go when it comes to putting in a background after
painting a delicate subject. That amount of oil takes some time to dry
though, even if you use a light touch.
You could try painting a rather abstracted background, leaving a wide
margin around your birds, and then dry brushing in towards the birds with
a soft brush, badger or the like. That could give you a soft glowing
look.

NightMist

Old December 5th 12, 04:00 AM
Max0 Max0 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Canada

Hi everyone today am here to ask something which is that How long will an oil painting last without a protective coating? I want to sell some artwork, but I don't want to wait a year, since it takes about a year before you can put the protective coating on.
Find out more details

Last edited by Max0 : October 12th 13 at 10:53 AM.