Interesting Kiln Repair development

Old June 7th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Interesting Kiln Repair development

Here's the latest in my Kiln repair wars. In attempting to patch up my
broken coil, it broke in several more places. No worry, I got these cool
little tubes that I can crimp on to connect the broken ends. The trick is to
propane torch the coil, and then it gets really pliable and easy to stretch
and bend. OK now I needed to rebuild a few places along the wall where all
the firebrick is broken or missing. I plopped in trowel fulls of furnace
cement and let it harden for a few days every 8" or so to keep the double
coil separated, and in place. OK so now I cranked it on to see if it heats
up. While it's getting hot, the cement looks slick like it's melting on the
top. I touch it to see, and I feel the familiar tingle of electricity
coarsing through my hand. I had no idea that the almost dry, but now wet
cement was conductive? Weird huh?

*Java.... no lectures about what an asshole I am for tinkering with this
thing, and not doing it properly like you suggested. I can take 100 hours to
solve a computer techie problem rather than formatting and starting over. I
like the little challenges of life, and am compulsive enough to get lost in
them sometimes. I've fixed old radios that were worthless, just cause they
were there.

--

JK Sinrod
www.sinrodstudios.com

Old June 7th 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Glassman wrote:

[...]

I guess you have more time than jobs. A new set of elements won't set
you back more than $40. But hey, you fixed it. Just hope it doesn't bite
you in the ass during a long anneal.

Jack
Old June 7th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

*Java.... no lectures about what an asshole I am for tinkering with

this
thing, and not doing it properly like you suggested. I can take 100 hours

solve a computer techie problem rather than formatting and starting over.

like the little challenges of life, and am compulsive enough to get lost

in
them sometimes. I've fixed old radios that were worthless, just cause they
were there.

I would never lecture you about being an asshole, I don't know anything
about the subject.
I am sure there is someone, somewhere that will disagree with that, but to
hell with them.

I know for a fact, I have met some of them, that there are those that enjoy
bashing their head against a wall, too. But I never talk them out of it, so
enjoy what makes you happy....

Old June 14th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

JK@work wrote:
"nJb" wrote in message

Glassman wrote:

[...]

I have none left. Used it all on myself. Second most popular indoor sport.

Jack

Kiln arrived: Is this damage? FlameNwind Glass 7 April 30th 06 03:44 AM
Venting of Electric Kiln question?? Zander Pottery 10 February 5th 04 06:01 PM
should i buy a kiln? Beowulf Pottery 6 January 3rd 04 12:07 AM
should I buy a kiln [email protected] Pottery 5 December 31st 03 01:21 PM
Kiln question Kalera Stratton Beads 13 July 11th 03 06:35 AM