Kiln arrived: Is this damage?

Old April 28th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Kiln arrived: Is this damage?

Hi, all! The kiln I ordered has arrived and was I ever excited! After
digging through a small mountain of peanuts, I finally was able to haul it
out of the carton. Now mind you, I am at present a hobbyist in stained
glass and a total novice to warm glass. So what I purchased was a small
120v fusing/annealing octagon kiln with pyrometer and infinite heat
controller. Internally it measures 11.25" diameter and 4.5" deep. Anyway,
upon opening her up and amidst the pinholes, indentations and knotholes that
make up most kiln bricks, I discovered a hole 3/4" deep and about 1/2" in
diameter that also burrows in behind the face of the brick about 5/16" in
two directions.

I contacted the vendor who assured me that this is typical in kiln bricks
and will not cause me any issue. My personal experience, which is limited,
says that the hole is significantly larger than "business as usual." You
can see what I am talking about in these photos (assuming this link works.)
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/flamen...f85scd&.src=ph

Oh yes...one of the photos is of the broken kiln shelf that was packed with
the kiln.

The point is that I just want to play...now! So my questions to you are
whether this is indeed typical in kiln bricks; would you return the kiln,
repair the hole, or just use the kiln as it is; would you expect any trouble
down the line due to a hole of this size; or, finally, am I just showing my
ignorance?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Lori

Old April 28th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 15:59:18 GMT, FlameNwind wrote:
The point is that I just want to play...now! So my questions to you are
whether this is indeed typical in kiln bricks; would you return the kiln,
repair the hole, or just use the kiln as it is; would you expect any trouble
down the line due to a hole of this size; or, finally, am I just showing my
ignorance?

From the pictures, the hole doesn't look all that awful. You'll probably
have similarly sized chunks missing after you've opened the lid while the
kiln is hot a few times. My personal opinion is that it's nothing to worry
about.

Old April 28th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:44:13 -0400, Ron Parker wrote:

From the pictures, the hole doesn't look all that awful. You'll probably
have similarly sized chunks missing after you've opened the lid while the
kiln is hot a few times. My personal opinion is that it's nothing to worry
about.

(And if you're still worried, just stuff some fiberfrax in there.)

Old April 28th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"FlameNwind" wrote in message
[...]

My opinion, that is an air hole in the making of the brick, maybe the
builder shouldn't have used it, but it doesn't do much, good or bad. IF you
fill it with something, you risk that something falling in your project.
Leave it alone, it will make no difference in the heating or cooling of the
kiln, and nothing will fall in your "stuff".

The shelf, call the idiots up and remind them that the shippers are not as
careful as the builders, or the artist, then call the shipper and make a
damage claim. The shipper will go after the person that packed it in such a
half way sturdy method.

Old April 29th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Square shelf to fit octagon kiln?
Ask the kiln supplier if they have some patching insulating cement
(paste). You will have to spray the lid to wet it and then apply the patch
like plastering mud. Maybe undercut the hole a bit although it looks
undercut somewhat already. If they do flack and you have (or can get a
small quantity) some, use the frax suggestion to partly fill the hole and
then get Furnace Cement, used for repairing wood stoves, etc., thus at some
hardware stores or wood stove stores if you have them. Ugly black stuff
that turns white when fired. Read container for precausions and safe
practices.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website

Old April 29th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

That's a pretty ugly looking hole but it should be OK. Just vacuum out any
crumbs in the hole and rub any loose crumbs from the edges. What brand is
this kiln? Definitely get the shipper or company to replace the broken kiln
shelf.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old April 30th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

I appreciate everyone's input and assurances. The vendor has been quite
exceptional; they are sending me kiln cement (which I doubt I will use given
the chance that it could fall into my projects), kiln gloves and infrared
safety glasses. Oh yes, they are also sending a replacement shelf.
Frankly, I was double-minded about the gloves and glasses...since a freebie
isn't what I was looking for...just a kiln that was good to go. They also
assured me that if any problems should arise or if I chose to use the
cement, that the warranty for the kiln still stands. So, I am more than
happy...and will most likely purchase other tools, materials and possibly my
next kiln from these folks when I go to upgrade!

All your assurances have really helped this novice not totally freak
out...I'll save that for what I am sure will be some interesting projects!
lol

Lori

Old April 30th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"FlameNwind" wrote in message
newsTU4g.207$6d4.15@trnddc03...
[...]

Lori, Given the temperatures you will operate at, that little indent doesn't
amount to much, and I doubt you will even know it's there for operating the
kiln, and it sure was nice of them to send stuff, to "make you happy". But
I would think, and use the kiln while thinking, before I put anything
"above" my projects that might fall in to something very important to me...
I know I already said it, but it is worth saying again...can you tell I have
been there? Done that, and won't do it again.

Now play!! Remember all those rules? there are NO rules.. push the limits
of what you ere taught.