OT EQ5 file problems

Old February 23rd 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

Default OT EQ5 file problems

I've visited the new EQ forums, but another member's solution didn't help.

I've always been able to double-click on a PJ5 file and it would then open
in EQ5. Can't do that anymore. I get an error message that says
"C:\Documents cannot be found." I get the option to send a message to
Microsoft (no comments about getting a MAC instead please), and it indicates
something about an MFC file.

Anyone else having this problem? Or have you found a solution?

Thanks in advance.

--
Kay Ahr in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr

Old February 23rd 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Kay Ahr" wrote:

I've visited the new EQ forums, but another member's solution didn't help.

I've always been able to double-click on a PJ5 file and it would then open
in EQ5. Can't do that anymore. I get an error message that says
"C:\Documents cannot be found." I get the option to send a message to
Microsoft (no comments about getting a MAC instead please), and it indicates
something about an MFC file.

Anyone else having this problem? Or have you found a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Gosh, Kay, I hope you get this solved soon. If it helps any, I've
learned something from your post. Just on a whim, I tried
double-clicking on one of my EQ6 files, and what do you know? It opened
right up! I didn't realize it would do that. No big deal, you say? Well,
remember I was clicking on it from my Mac OS -- my emulator promptly
opened, and so did EQ6 with the selected file! Wow!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old February 23rd 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

"Sandy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Kay Ahr" wrote:

[...]

It's just more of an inconvenience than anything else. I can still open EQ5
first, then open the PJ5 files from within the application.

I can still double-click on PJ6 files and have EQ6 automatically open.

Old February 23rd 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

FWIW, though you probably already know this, MFC (Microsoft Foundation
Class) files are the files that decide what file formats belong to which
apps, and are responsible for opening and closing files, period.

The problem (again, you probably already know this) lies completely with MS
(no teasing you about having a Mac!) and not EQ. MS is the group you need
your answer from (rather than asking at the EQ forum.

I'm currently scouring the MS knowledgebase to see if there's a fix or patch
out there for your problem ... do you have any more info for me? Was it more
specific in the filename?

Honestly HTH!!
--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

om...

Old February 23rd 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Try this... Right-click on the PJ5 file and select "Open with..." You
will get a list of programs that can open the file. Select the program
you want to use to open it and check "always use this program for this
file type" (or similar words).

Julia in MN
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/
-----------

Old February 23rd 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

Someone had already asked in the EQ forum, so I took their suggestion.

Microsoft says it is an EOM (DELL) problem. But funny how the MFC error
message comes up and says it is related to how Microsoft collects personal
information from my computer!

I will try to replicate the problem and come back. . . . .

Thank you!
--

"SewVeryCreative" wrote in message
FWIW, though you probably already know this, MFC (Microsoft Foundation
Class) files are the files that decide what file formats belong to which
apps, and are responsible for opening and closing files, period.

The problem (again, you probably already know this) lies completely with
MS
(no teasing you about having a Mac!) and not EQ. MS is the group you need
your answer from (rather than asking at the EQ forum.

I'm currently scouring the MS knowledgebase to see if there's a fix or
patch
out there for your problem ... do you have any more info for me? Was it
more
specific in the filename?

Honestly HTH!!
--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

om...

Old February 23rd 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

It still tells me, "C:\Documents cannot be found."

I'm not the only EQ user who has had the problem. One person tracked her
problem to a Microsoft Security Update. I removed the update as she had,
but I still have the problem. She removed the update and had no problem.
Installed the update again and had the problem. Removed the update and had
no problem. (Great scientific method there!)

Maybe restarting my computer was not enough. Maybe I actually have to turn
it off then back on.

Old February 23rd 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

eq5.exe
eqtools.ocx

I wondered what would happen if I just reinstalled EQ5. What will an
uninstall and/or reinstall wipe out? (It's been 10 years since I've done
desktop support on a Windows PC! Boy, do I feel old!)

--
Kay Ahr in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr
to respond to me directly, remove "WESTHI" from the email address

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
[...]

om...

Old February 23rd 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

First off ....
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Kay}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} }}}}}}}

I thought you'd need a virtual hug ... I know how frustrating stuff like
this can be ... you expect something to work and help you stretch your
creative wings -- and then it poops out on you and you have no rhyme or
reason to it!!!

I'd try a complete reboot -- completely turn off the computer, grab a cuppa
and then come back and reboot cold. Then see what's what.

Also, empty your trash completely and back up the important stuff for EQ ...
'cause I think the next thing to try would be a reinstall ... I don't know
how EQ handles previous proggie files (the files that makes it work, not
your project files) it encounters -- some apps will overwrite them (AKA,
"repair"), and some will refuse to write at all while they're there (some
proggies make you do a complete uninstall before it will let you reinstall).

As to your project files, AFAIK, they're kept in a completely different
folder than the working bits ... but I'd back'em up just in case (better
safe than sorry). I don't have EQ5, though ... so I can't be sure how the
file hierarchy works.Or at the very least, rename the folder (but write down
the original folder name) ... that way if anything WANTS to overwrite that
folder, it won't "see" it to overwrite it.

I really hope we can get this thing licked!!!

Warm hugs!!
--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

om...

Old February 23rd 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

I'd try (I mentioned this in another post -- piggybacking on to your reply
to Julia) backing up your project folder FIRST and foremost -- or you can
just leave it and rename it (but make a note of it's "original" name) ...
that way, when you reinstall, it won't overwrite the project folder (it
won't even know it's "there" to overwrite). Then, I'd completely dump your
trash. Then, I'd do a complete cold start -- log off your computer, turn it
off, walk away for a bit, and then restart/turn it back on.

I really don't think that will fix your problem ... but I *do* think that it
will give you a better place to reinstall to. It might not hurt to delete
any temp files you've got on there, too. I do that twice a month ... keeps
the ol' HD fit as a fiddle.

I've never reinstalled EQ ... so I can't tell you whether or not it will
either overwrite your files or refuse to reinstall until you've UNinstalled
the whole shebang. Just to be safe, either copy your files (projects, image
libraries, any scanned fabrics, etc -- i.e., not JUST your projects, but
anything you want to keep) and then give reinstalling a try. You may end up
wasting about ... what? 15-30 minutes of "extracting" files for EQ to tell
you whether or not you need to do an uninstall first. If you need to do an
uninstall, I'm pretty sure that EQ doesn't have a dedicated Uninstaller ...
so just go to your Control Panel and choose "Add or Remove Programs" and
choose EQ5 from the list.

If the reinstall doesn't work then it's *ALL* MS and not EQ. If the
reinstall DOES work, it could still be all MS's fault since EQ will install
supporting files.

Please let me know and keep us posted!!!!

(BTW, I hope I didn't offend you by going into oodles of detail about the
"hows" ... I don't know what your experience is and it's better to OVER
explain than UNDER explain -- especially when it comes to computers!!!)

BEST of luck!!!
--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
eq5.exe
eqtools.ocx

I wondered what would happen if I just reinstalled EQ5. What will an
uninstall and/or reinstall wipe out? (It's been 10 years since I've done
desktop support on a Windows PC! Boy, do I feel old!)

--
Kay Ahr in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr
to respond to me directly, remove "WESTHI" from the email address

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
[...]

om...

how do I kill file? Patti Beads 3 November 25th 07 08:01 PM
File under OH MY Cheryl Isaak Needlework 16 February 21st 07 11:50 AM
Mystery glass? Big File (sorry) Glassman Glass 1 February 1st 06 02:17 PM
Mystery glass? Big File (sorry) Steve Ackman Glass 0 January 30th 06 08:20 PM
OT - file under small world Cheryl Isaak Needlework 8 March 15th 04 01:19 AM