Back from sewing retreat

Old August 18th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

Default Back from sewing retreat

I actually got back Wednesday afternoon (only 1 night away) but had to go
into work yesterday, so am only now getting a chance to report on the trip.

Unfortunately, I did not get much done and very little of that was quilty. I
spent most of my time ripping. Honestly, you'd think I never seen a zipper
before, let alone put bunches of them in.

I had a big pile of things with me, but didn't get much of it done. Managed
to finish a sundress for my uncle's wedding in September, late Tuesday night,
after I'd ripped out the zipper once, managed to somehow get the orginial
zipper off its track and spent half an hour trying to get back on track,
breaking about 4 needles, and making a run into the Walmart "in town" for
more needles and two more zippers (figured at the rate I was going I might
need a spare), Fortunately the second zipper went in smoothly and I was able
to finish the dress except for the hem. Wednesday, after discovering the
spool of thread that I thought was nearly full was not because everything on
the spool ended up on the bobbin (does that make any sense?) and begging
thread from one of the other ladies, ( I wish I'd known I needed thread when
I was at W\allyworld the night before) I proceeded to a pair of shorts. Now,
I've made this pattern before, actually twice last summer, and it fit fine
and the shorts I made from it still fit fine, but for some reason, these are
a little tightish, and once again I could not get the zipper in to save my
life. I ripped that one out at least three times and it still does not look
right to me when I hold them up from the waist band, though it looks just
fine when its laying on the ironing board. I'm hoping it just need the final
press to make it look okay, otherwise I don't know what I'll do with these
things.

On the quilty side I did manage to finish a pile of blocks for a guild
exchange (only had to rip a couple of those) and quilted and bound a table
runner that I pieced in a class with Annette Ornelas this spring at Paducah.
Of everything I did Tuesday and Wednesday, that turned out the best, although
I swear as I was sewing the binding to the back it grew to about a million
feet long. It then shrunk its self back up to table runner size.

I'd also hoped to get all my BOMs finished and start a Halloween wallhanging,
but I spent so many hours ripping I never even got to look at them. My pile
for show and tell at the end of the afternoon on Wednesday looked pitifully
small compared to the output of the others.

Yes, I will post pics as soon as I get them taken. (Well, maybe not the
shorts--I think those might be too hideous) I'm hoping to get everything
back down to the sewing room and sorted out today, and with luck I'll get the
pictures taken too.

Maureen

Old August 18th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article l.net,
Maureen Wozniak wrote:

Unfortunately, I did not get much done and very little of that was quilty. I
spent most of my time ripping. Honestly, you'd think I never seen a zipper
before, let alone put bunches of them in.

It sounds to me as though you got a *lot* done, Maureen!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 18th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Welcome home, Maureen!

Sounds like a fun retreat, esp. w/ all those zippers.
(never put in a zipper in my life, don't intend to start now g)

Making no judgments on family and the like, or their likes,
how sweet of you to make that sundress for your uncle's wedding;
I'm sure he'll look quite fetching, however unconventional.

A table runner, too? Having not heard otherwise, I'm sure it
turned out beautifully, you pre-washed the fabrics, right?
(hi, Polly! NASA wants to know if you can make enough of those
placemats to cover a Space Shuttle, small one, of course g)

Bet you're so busy you haven't even noticed any changes in your
stash; raiders are good, real good, about covering tracks. ;-D

Looking forward to the pics.

Ragmop/Sandy

On 8/18/06 8:11 AM, in article
, "Maureen Wozniak"

Old August 19th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:32:42 -0500, Sandy Foster wrote
(in article ):

In article l.net,
Maureen Wozniak wrote:

Unfortunately, I did not get much done and very little of that was quilty.
spent most of my time ripping. Honestly, you'd think I never seen a zipper
before, let alone put bunches of them in.

It sounds to me as though you got a *lot* done, Maureen!

LOL

Old August 19th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:53:58 -0500, Sandy Ellison wrote
(in article ):

Howdy!

Welcome home, Maureen!

Making no judgments on family and the like, or their likes,
how sweet of you to make that sundress for your uncle's wedding;
I'm sure he'll look quite fetching, however unconventional.

A table runner, too? Having not heard otherwise, I'm sure it
turned out beautifully, you pre-washed the fabrics, right?
(hi, Polly! NASA wants to know if you can make enough of those
placemats to cover a Space Shuttle, small one, of course g)

Bet you're so busy you haven't even noticed any changes in your
stash; raiders are good, real good, about covering tracks. ;-D

Looking forward to the pics.

Ragmop/Sandy

yes, I think he will look quite fetching. LOL!

The table runner fabric and batting were pre-washed--one of the few times I
actually did so. Of everything I finished, its my favorite.

You're right, I haven't noticed the missing pieces from my stash. but
haven't had time to take a good look either. Thanks to the raiders for
cleaning up so well after the party they had.

Maureen