silk for quilting?

Old September 20th 04, 02:26 PM
-=- Jennie-=-

Default silk for quilting?

Heyas All,

Well as I'm the deserving type and don't have days off I've been
"given" a holiday to thailand mid november, yes I'm getting in early
so much to organise before I go, anyway work stuff aside,,,

Does anyone have any opinions on working with thai silk? last time I
was there I bought 15 meters of silk for just under 50$ Australian and
now that I'm exploring the world of quilting wondered if those amazing
jewel coloured silks would be any good in a quilt. these silks aren't
the thin slippery stuff they have body but retain that luxurious
texture and sheen. given it's so cost effective to buy there it may be
a perfect op to stock up if it's worthwhile.

so please any thoughts?

Jennie who lusts after a decadent quilt
Old September 20th 04, 03:01 PM
georg

-=- Jennie-=- wrote:

so please any thoughts?

Who can think with all the drool on my keyboard??

GO FOR IT!

That's ideal for crazy quilts, or just luxury.

-georg

Old September 20th 04, 09:40 PM
Kate Dicey

-=- Jennie-=- wrote:

Heyas All,

Well as I'm the deserving type and don't have days off I've been
"given" a holiday to thailand mid november, yes I'm getting in early
so much to organise before I go, anyway work stuff aside,,,

Does anyone have any opinions on working with thai silk? last time I
was there I bought 15 meters of silk for just under 50$ Australian and
now that I'm exploring the world of quilting wondered if those amazing
jewel coloured silks would be any good in a quilt. these silks aren't
the thin slippery stuff they have body but retain that luxurious
texture and sheen. given it's so cost effective to buy there it may be
a perfect op to stock up if it's worthwhile.

so please any thoughts?

Jennie who lusts after a decadent quilt

Be careful as it can ravel like crazy.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old September 20th 04, 10:03 PM
dogmom

I completely agree with georg, altho' if you just can't come up with any
ideas, if you send it to me it won't go to waste! (hey--my first beg! How'd
I do?)

Dogmom

Old September 21st 04, 07:43 PM
BDS2pds

I have quilted with moire silk and it is some fun time let me tell you !!!
Old September 21st 04, 07:55 PM
Roberta Zollner

Silk is actually a very strong fiber if you don't ever wash it with enzyme
detergent. I've used it in lots of quilts. Prewash, because it tends to run
a lot, especially those gorgeous dark jewel colors! But otherwise, you can
easily combine Thai silk or raw silk with cotton, they are a similar weight
to what we use for patchwork. (Amish designs in silk on a black
background...!)
Roberta in D

"-=- Jennie-=-" wrote in message
Heyas All,

Well as I'm the deserving type and don't have days off I've been
"given" a holiday to thailand mid november, yes I'm getting in early
so much to organise before I go, anyway work stuff aside,,,

Does anyone have any opinions on working with thai silk? last time I
was there I bought 15 meters of silk for just under 50$ Australian and
now that I'm exploring the world of quilting wondered if those amazing
jewel coloured silks would be any good in a quilt. these silks aren't
the thin slippery stuff they have body but retain that luxurious
texture and sheen. given it's so cost effective to buy there it may be
a perfect op to stock up if it's worthwhile.

so please any thoughts?

Jennie who lusts after a decadent quilt

Surface Embroidery Kits - Designs Influenced by Wm Morris sewingsusan Needlework 12 June 17th 04 07:05 AM
silk mori BDS2pds Needlework 0 February 20th 04 01:31 PM
Kreinik Silk Mori question Anne Tuchscherer Needlework 13 February 7th 04 05:59 AM
Navy blue silk velvet Ericka Kammerer Needlework 0 September 30th 03 02:22 AM