Life, quilts, and children's clothing

Old September 11th 04, 03:40 PM
CNYstitcher

Default Life, quilts, and children's clothing

So, I finally have the time to attack the children's rooms and clear out
clothing that can no longer fit either of them. Mother tried to help by
filling a huge tote with all sizes of clothing that DS outgrew but that
DD can't yet wear. Good thought, however....DD is almost 1 year old,
and can still wear 6-9m clothing (12month is HUGE on her). So, today I
started in DSs room, getting rid of anything that didn't say 4T, 4, or
anything higher. I only made it through the dresser before I had to
take a brain break; since he is taking on more responsibility for his
room, he has to put his clothing away...all drawers now have labels on
them with both pictures and words.
Onto DDs room....mainly that crazy storage tote, which lead to the rest
of the closet (it's probably time to go through my stuff since there are
still some of my clothes in her closet). All in all, I have a lawntrash
size garbage bag filled of stuff, and I'm not even finished yet!! I got
rid of everything that was larger that 18 months because I didn't want
to end up on Clean Sweep being told how stupid it is to keep clotehs
that long since fibers/threads disintegrate over time, yada, yada.
Now, here's where quilting enters the picture....while sorting through
the clothes, I discovered DSs Christening outfit, 2 of his first
t-shirts, and his first "big boy" pajama pants. I want to add these to
the collection of clothing that I am saving for memory quilts for the
kidlets. What else would you suggest that I save?? Right now, all I am
saving are MY *favorite* outfits...should I save outfits from special
occassions?
Yes, I shed a few tears as I was sorting through everything, however I
managed to pull myself together enough to set somethings aside for the
neighbor who is expecting her second child. Now I just need to finish
the closet in DSs room and the dresser in DDs room, then onto my room
where I will sort through DHs and my stuff.

Larisa, doing everything I can to avoid attacking the bridesmaids dress
right now

Old September 11th 04, 04:12 PM
-=- Jennie-=-

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:40:51 GMT, CNYstitcher
wrote:
{snipped oodles of good stuff}
I want to add these to
the collection of clothing that I am saving for memory quilts for the
kidlets. What else would you suggest that I save?? Right now, all I am
saving are MY *favorite* outfits...should I save outfits from special
occassions?

Larisa, doing everything I can to avoid attacking the bridesmaids dress
right now

can't believe I'm putting this on the net but anyway my Mum made a
memory quilt eons ago (think dinosaurs were still around) and in it
she put *blushing now* my brothers and my **first grown up pants** out
of nappies (diapers) and into big kid knickers the terry towelling
variety and cut hearts out of each of the three to mark a milestone in
our lives.. Even now when that quilt is so old archaeologists are
brushing dirt off it lovingly with paintbrushes and exclaiming over
each uncovered stitch, it still makes her smile .. hope that's of
some use
Old September 11th 04, 08:48 PM
Debra

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:40:51 GMT, CNYstitcher wrote:

Now, here's where quilting enters the picture....while sorting through
the clothes, I discovered DSs Christening outfit, 2 of his first
t-shirts, and his first "big boy" pajama pants. I want to add these to
the collection of clothing that I am saving for memory quilts for the
kidlets. What else would you suggest that I save?? Right now, all I am
saving are MY *favorite* outfits...should I save outfits from special
occassions?

Larisa, doing everything I can to avoid attacking the bridesmaids dress
right now

You asked so I'll put in my 2 cents worth. You say you are saving
Your favorite outfits. Please consider saving something of the
children's favorite outfits in addition to your favorites. The
clothes they like to wear the most often will be the ones that will
bring them the most happy memories later in life. Usually they are
not the same clothes as the ones you would pick as your favorites.
Your favorites will be picked because of how they look in the clothes,
or a major event in their lives. Their favorites will be because of
how they feel while wearing the clothes: happy, warm, safe, good
looking, special, lucky, etc..

I only mention this because my mom had no idea what my all time
favorite dress was when I was young, or why it was my favorite. She
only knew I wore it out. I have one small black and white picture of
me wearing it when I was either 4 or 5 years old to remind me of it,
but I can see it in my mind in full color. It was my favorite because
it made me feel special because I knew no one else had one like it
because it was hand made just for me. I can remember the fittings and
watching it being made. The skirt part had the perfect twirliness
(very important to a little girl), and the fabric was smooth and soft
too! I felt beautiful in it. Mom's favorite of all my clothes was a
dress I hated wearing because it was stiff and scratchy, and I thought
the color was icky. I felt ugly in it. I'd give my eye teeth for a
little square of that dress I loved because I did so many different
and fun things while wearing it, but the only memory that I have of
mom's favorite is that I had to take a school picture while wearing
the ugly thing.

So keep saving your favorites, and ones from major events in their
lives like the Christening outfit, but also please, please, please
save something from the most worn-out, ragged clothes they have over
the years because those bits from the worn out clothes will bring the
greatest memories later.

Debra in VA
Old September 12th 04, 03:25 AM
CNYstitcher

well...Duh....lol...I do have some of DSs favorites set aside, like his
first big boy pair of pajama pants....he *loved* them because Daddy had
a pair just like them...gotta file this away

Larisa

Old September 12th 04, 04:40 AM
nzl*

hey, did ya save daddys too, lol.
snorfle!
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"CNYstitcher" wrote...

Old September 12th 04, 05:05 AM
Debra

Oh goody! It was the line: "Right now, all I am saving are MY
*favorite* outfits" that made me think that you were only saving your
favorites. They are going to love those quilts.

By the way, have you thought about making one for yourself with a
little bit of stuff from both kids clothes? Might be just the thing
for the empty nest blues when they are all grown up. After all, you
will have as many memories from them as the kids will.

Debra in VA

Old September 12th 04, 07:30 AM
Irrational Number

CNYstitcher wrote:

So, I finally have the time to attack the children's rooms and clear out
clothing that can no longer fit either of them. [...]
Now, here's where quilting enters the picture....while sorting
through the clothes, I discovered DSs Christening outfit, 2 of his first
t-shirts, and his first "big boy" pajama pants. I want to add these to
the collection of clothing that I am saving for memory quilts for the
kidlets. What else would you suggest that I save?? Right now, all I am
saving are MY *favorite* outfits...should I save outfits from special
occassions?

For the moment, all the clothes are being saved
for the next child(ren), whenever that is. However,
DH keeps mentioning items he would like in the
quilt, such as the dinosaur swim trunks, etc. I'm
going to use the receiving blankets as the backing.

-- Anita --
Mommy to Pillbug, 15 months old today

Old September 12th 04, 07:31 AM
Irrational Number

Debra wrote:

By the way, have you thought about making one for yourself with a
little bit of stuff from both kids clothes? Might be just the thing
for the empty nest blues when they are all grown up. After all, you
will have as many memories from them as the kids will.

I've considered making one per child(ren) and
one for me. Maybe DH will want one, too...

Old September 12th 04, 03:16 PM
CNYstitcher

PBBBBBBBBBBBTTTTTTTTTTTTT~!!!!! Actually, he will be getting a t-shirt
quilt eventually. He has a habit of cutting the neck band and sleeves
off t-shirts to use them when he is working around the house....they are
soon going to disappear into the "quilts-from-clothes" box...doubt he
will ever miss them since we combined all of our t-shirts into one box

Larisa

Old September 12th 04, 03:17 PM
CNYstitcher

nope, hadn't thought about that, but guess that's one more quilt to add
to the "to-be-done" list...lol

Larisa