Where to begin?

Old January 28th 04, 12:29 PM
lloer

Default Where to begin?

Hi again,

My Dad died two weeks ago, it was very peaceful and he was at home with my
Mum next to him. While it was hard we are also glad that he didn't have to
been in hospital.

I have many (30 plus) of his old shirts some of which are barely worn and I
plan to make at least two quilts with them. There's about ten heavy
cotton/denim shirts which I plan to use to make a raggy quilt. They even
have some cartoon motifs which I will include. But the others are a mix of
formal and casual shirt. About half are blue/white stripes and checks. There
are about half a dozen plain white shirts - including two with pleats etc.
to be worn with dinner suits. The rest are a mixture including some really
great patterns. I also have a pile of his boxers which I'd like to include
as they're all good quality cotton and one or two have some novelty designs
which I know my Mum would love to see in a quilt.

I'm finding it very hard to decide on a pattern that would work and I'd be
grateful for any suggestions.

Finally, I had a go at free motion quilting the other day, I've read plenty
about the theory and I've got a couple of great books but I would like to
know how long I should expect to have to practice before I get usable
results? My big problem was being able to follow a marked line, I had
started to get a feel for the speed I needed to move at to get a decent
stitch but only if I stitched completely randomly.

Emma

--
-----------------------------------

Free the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Old January 28th 04, 02:44 PM
DeB Shaw

(((((Gentle Hugs, Emma)))))

Am not sure what sort of piecing you enjoy, but there's a paper pieced
pattern at paper panache called Flannel Shirts:
http://www.paperpanache.com/guests/awagner.htm
The short sleeved version, called Hawaiian Shirts, is he
http://www.paperpanache.com/guests/ashirt.htm

Here's a pattern called Denim Rag Edge with a Twist:
http://www.yorkstreetquiltingco.com/free_pattern.htm

Useful tip - How to make the Magic 9Patch Block:
http://www.lindalowers.com/magic_9patch.htm

Checker Distributors has a variety of patterns & ideas:
http://www.checkerdistributors.com/p...rns_index.html

Kim Graham's Bible Block Mystery Quilt is AWEsome!!!
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham/partners/Rejoice1.html
Don't forget to check out the finished quilt while there.

If you're into applique, perhaps something here will stir a creative spark:
http://www.freeapplique.com/

9Patch Hearts from Srap Box Patterns:
http://www.scrapboxpatterns.com/9_patch_heart.htm

A tip on adjusting block sizes ... if needed:
http://www.quiltcollections.com/bb05.htm

Free Motion Practice - I've found the heavier my foot is on the pedal
(faster & faster), then a shorter stitch length is better for me ... 'cause
my arms & hands get carried away with moving a little too quickly, not
really jerky, but just get caught up with looking ahead and start moving
things around a little faster.

Just get comfy, put on some nice tunes or something, remember to take your
time ... kinda' like slow dancing and your body needs to follow the moves
and meld along with them ... don't forget to take breaks.

We wanna' see pics if possible ... please. :^)

DeB Shaw
Queen of the *Northern Lights*
(Am sure others will be of more help than myself.)
;^)

Old January 28th 04, 04:50 PM
Roberta Zollner

So sorry, Emma!
Don't worry about following lines, it will come naturally. And free motion
is lots more fun if it's really free. No idea how much practice you'll need.
For ideas on continuous line quilting, try copying some of your machine's
embroidery stitches as quilting motifs. Watch how the machine makes a
garland of leaves, flowers, hearts, etc. Then do likewise on a grand scale.
If you're getting even free motion stitches now, go ahead and take the
plunge. I've been doing it for several years and still feel that every quilt
teaches me something.
Roberta in D, about to take a big plunge into free-hand feather wreaths!

Old January 28th 04, 09:28 PM
Renee Clark

Hi Emma,

What a wonderful way to remember your father. I have a large bag of my Dad's
shirts too - he died last February. Over Christmas, I sat down to do
something with them, and with one whiff of his Old Spice aftershave, I went
to pieces. It was harder than I could ever have imagined. It may take time
before you are ready to do this, so don't be surprised if your emotions
catch you off guard.
Blessings,
Renee

Old January 28th 04, 11:06 PM
hfw

Ah...Wish I'd been quilting when my mom died almost 5 years ago. We donated
her clothes to women's shelters (and a few of her dressy things to the
Guthrie Theatre), but I would have loved to make a quilt from some of her
clothes, especially the ones with memories.

It would have taken me a while to do it--probably would have felt "too soon"
for over two years, so I do know what you mean...

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

"IMS" wrote in message
I kept several of my mom's dresses and skirts after she died last April,
planning to do the same thing - make them into a quilt. Have not been
able to even take them out of the plastic storage containers yet and
actually start, though. Still feels like it's too soon :-(

But I am glad I kept them and someday, someday, I will make that quilt.

"lloer" wrote in message
[...]

------------------------
Adult: A person who has stopped growing at both ends and is now growing in
the middle.

Old January 29th 04, 03:01 AM
nana2b

Don't rush it. Somehow a pattern will just hit you when you see it. My
heartfelt sympathies for you loss. Linda in Tx.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old January 30th 04, 12:25 AM
Lisa Ellis

I like the idea of a memorial quilt. I saved my mom's tee shirts to
make quilts with.

I think a bow tie quilt made from your father's shirts would be nice.
The light colored ones could be used as the background and the darker
ones (including the novelty prints from the boxers) could be the tie part.

lisae

Old February 1st 04, 10:28 PM
lloer

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts.

I've spent the day cutting squares for the first quilt using my Dad's
shirts. I decided on the 'All Triangles Scrap Quilt' thats in Making Scrap
Quilts to Use It Up! by Lynne Edwards (P66 in my copy). It uses all half
square triangles and light and dark values to create a diamond pattern.

Judging by the way things are going, I'll be making at least three quilts
out of his shirts. I'm finding it very theraputic and I know it will mean a
lot to my Mum to have this quilt.

As well as the shorts I'm also using some of his boxer shorts and its quite
surprising how much fabric you can get out of them. They have more
interesting patterns than the shirts and included some Purple Ronnie ones
(do they have Purple Ronnie outside the UK) which Mum says he loved. There
were also some 'Fred' cartoon ones (Kate might know what I mean - they have
a similar sense of humour to the Far Side), I'm think of taking the four
different cartoons and making something small with them - maybe a cushion.

Thanks again,

Emma