Weekend adventures: new quilt shop!

Old December 23rd 03, 10:14 PM
Nbhilyard

Default Weekend adventures: new quilt shop!

My weekend did not lend itself to stashbusting but there was a blessing and a
new discovery.

Patched Works in Elm Grove, Wisconsin, has the a Frequent Buyer's card that
expires every December 31. The last two weeks of December they'll transfer the
balance over to next year's card; otherwise, the balance is lost. Sale
merchandise does not count toward the FB Card.

I went there Sunday afternoon so I could keep the credit--I had about $30
toward $225. I decided to splurge on the sale (buy a yard, get a yard free).
I saw a new flamingo print (son-in-law "does" flamingoes....this will be great
for a pillowcase for next Christmas). While the clerk was cutting she got a
phone call. She came back and said that the call had been to tell her that her
friend had just died (age 45, cancer, two young children). We talked through
her tears about cancer/life/death/hope. When she checked me out I presented
the Frequent Buyer Card. She took $20 off my purchase and said, "Consider this
card finished. Come and get the 2004 card when you come in next time."

One of the Patched Works purchases was the Quilter's Travel Companion, a
compendium that lists 1700+ quilt shops in the U.S. and Canada. I had wanted
one for a while and finally decided to get it.

That's how I found the Cutting Table (www.cuttingtable.com) in south Milwaukee.
WOW! If I ever own a quilt shop it will be like this one. Two old houses put
together (original hardwood floors, etc.). And such a grand selection of
fabric! I got some good stuff in the bargain basement (literally in the
basement). When I checked out I asked about their Frequent Buyer's program.
They keep track in their computer, the clerk explained. Meanwhile she'd rung
up the sale items (plus the 3 half-yards of regular-priced). She counted it
all on the FB program!

Then I found a new-to-me Joann's in the south 'burbs of Milwaukee....hey, 70%
off Christmas fabrics means only 30% on.

Nann
in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
off the wagon and damn' happy about it