Quilt Shop Hop Report

Old July 28th 03, 04:04 PM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Default Quilt Shop Hop Report

Hi the

I want to report that I just came back from a 2-day QSH with 3 other
women. What a great time we had!! I recommend going on a trip like
this, even if you're *not* a sewer. We visited one store in Canmore
(Alberta), one in Cochrane, 2 in Edmonton (south end) 1 in Red Deer
and 1 in Innisfail. + one night is a beautiful B&B called "Green
Acres".

Now I have 2 questions: Does anyone know of any beautiful Jacobean
patterns, or am I better off just buying a book? Also, I'm looking
for a beautiful Halloween quilt. Any ideas for patterns?

Thanks,
Cynthia
Old July 28th 03, 04:28 PM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Yeah, I'm just learning applique. But if I ever get good at it, I
want to do one of those. I haven't seen any large jacobean patterns,
which is why I asked the group. I saw a couple of small patterns in a
New Zealand quilt shop on the web. I just think that stuff if
gorgeous.

I did a search and couldn't find much for patterns. I did find a
couple of books on Amazon.

Thanks,
Cynthia

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:18:48 -0700, "Diana Curtis"
wrote:

Have you tried a search for jacobean designs? thats what I would suggest
first..
Id love to see what you decide to do. Jacobeans are so intricate and
lovely.. were you planning to applique?
Diana

Old July 28th 03, 06:18 PM
Diana Curtis

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old July 28th 03, 06:40 PM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Thanks for that info Sonja. I have also had problems with Traditional
Pastimes. They have a beautiful store, but I find it impossible to
get waited on there. I find that they like their regular customers
and are not interested in meeting new ones. I have walked out of
their stores 2x because the staff were huddled in the corner and I
couldn't get anyone to wait on me. Incredible. Which is part of the
reason I organized the QSH to find some new stores. I'm beginning to
think a book might be a better deal than a pattern.

Thanks,
Cynthia

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:20:00 GMT,
(rdquiltkat) wrote:

Traditional Pastimes in Calgary has a Jacobean Block of the month called
Jacobean Delights, which is very nice. It is by a Canadian designer,
Louise Girard. You can see some of her patterns and her work at
http://members.tripod.com/~QuiltSmith I have been working on this quilt
as a Block of the Month, and the blocks are beautiful. Having said
that, I was not happy with Traditional Pastimes' service with these
blocks, and two other members of my guild have had problems with them as
well. They sent out one of my last blocks with no background, and then
waited for five months before finally sending the background for the
last block and the borders-in background fabric that did not match the
first eleven blocks. It was the same colour-cream on cream-but a bigger
floral design. Having worked on this for nearly 2 years, I'm going to
finish it, but I'm really disappointed, because the blocks are set edge
to edge, and I'm betting the difference in that last block and the
borders is going to show. You might have better luck with them, being
in Calgary and able to follow up with them in person, or you might be
able to just buy the blocks and use your own fabric. I have seen
one book out that had nice patterns, and I think it's certainly a
cheaper option than block of the month.

Old July 28th 03, 06:56 PM
Patti

Hullo Cynthia
You might try looking for Jacobean embroidery, rather than appliqué. I
should think there is a great deal more published for embroidery in that
style. You can always enlarge any of the motifs to make them suitable
for appliqué. I have done a full sized tablecloth in Jacobean
embroidery, and I love it. My pattern is terribly ancient and all in
black and white with diagrams rather than pictures, but I'm sure the
modern ones will be coloured and possible to translate. Sounds like a
lovely project. I am getting to like appliqué more and more too.
..
In article ,
Jacquard_The_Ripper writes

wrote:

Have you tried a search for jacobean designs? thats what I would suggest
first..
Id love to see what you decide to do. Jacobeans are so intricate and
lovely.. were you planning to applique?
Diana

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 29th 03, 04:15 AM
Mary in Rock Island IL

Pat Campbell has some beautiful Jacobean applique work. Maybe you can
find one of her books.
Mary
Old July 30th 03, 04:48 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
Jacquard_The_Ripper wrote:

Yeah, I'm just learning applique. But if I ever get good at it, I
want to do one of those. I haven't seen any large jacobean patterns,
which is why I asked the group. I saw a couple of small patterns in a
New Zealand quilt shop on the web. I just think that stuff if
gorgeous.

I did a search and couldn't find much for patterns. I did find a
couple of books on Amazon.

Thanks,
Cynthia

Pat Campbell has several books out (and a new line of wonderful fabric).
All her books are Jacobean style applique patterns. She does have a web
site, but I know you can get the books through other suppliers.

http://www.patcampbell.com/pages/books.html

Oh, and I can vouch for how great her thread caddy is. Everytime I take
it places people try to buy it off me. Love it.

marcella
Old July 30th 03, 05:09 PM
taria

This pattern might be something you are looking for:
http://www.maryappliques.com/delectlarge.htm
Taria

Marcella Tracy Peek wrote:

In article ,

[...]