OT, but would appreciate input Warranties etc, maybe revisited.

Old July 4th 09, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default OT, but would appreciate input Warranties etc, mayberevisited.

On 7/3/09 12:37 PM, "Susan Hartman" wrote:

ellice wrote:
Interesting, Ericka. I think the last 10 years at least, Sears has truly
capitalized on its reputation, particularly with so to speak Middle America.
I had a lot of Kenmore appliances growing up, and my first washer/dryer - 20
years ago. But, in the last 10 + years, we did a bit of research, and went
as you did - with a locally owned independent appliance store that carried
quality lines. And were extremely happy with the service they provided,
their installers, etc. Only getting the extended warranty at the end of the
comes with time - and it was transferrable when we sold the other house.

I understand Fred's point - and 10 years ago - I wouldn't have bought
extended warranties. But, some of these items - the reality is they are
very expensive to have a basic service call, and are more specialized, so
the cost - even with quality items - worked out - for us. Would I do it for
anything like a stereo or tv? No, 'cause they'll either go immediately, or
way later past any warranty. Recently, however, with some of the large tvs
- like the Mitsu's with the lamps in them - depending on pricing - it may be
worth it because the lamp replacement is so expensive.

When we decided to get the warranties this time - after having waited 2
years - it was because both Whirlpool/Kitchenaid made us a good offer - and
the handle on the front loader had cracked - so after pricing ordering a
part, etc - well - might as well do the warranty. Incrementally - the cost
of covering the fridge is so miniscule compared to everything else - maybe
$60 for 3 years, it's worth it - IMHO.

We've been really happy with the folks that have the main contract - A&E,
and I also have found that when we need to schedule an apptmt - the
Whirlpool people work with you -offering up dates and which company would do
the service - so after the not fab experience with the other contract
service folks, I just say "no" to them.

Ah, we each make our own decisions.

ellice

I tend toward the same philosophy about covering major household
appliances because of cost of repair. We have plans with GE, with Sears,
and with Kitchen Aid, and I've been going round and round with the
Kitchen Aid folks and they can't get the billing/payment straight, so I
don't have confidence in their repair abilities. I'm going to let that
one lapse and switch it over to the GE people, who've been really good
in the past.

I would actually. Since Whirlpool/Kitchenaid are the same company - I deal
with the Whirlpool person, and they also handle Kitchenaid. That said - we
just got an "incorrect" bill for the kitchenaid appliances. The bills come
as 1 for the Whirlpool labelled, 1 for the Kitchenaid, and a 3rd which is
just the Maytag Drying Center.

You could ask them who does the repairs. At least in this area Kitchenaid &
Whirlpool are A&E Appliance Service - I think the guy who's serviced us
actually comes from Catonsville, or Gaithersburg. We've had good work done
by them.

(You don't want to know how much time I've wasted on the phone trying to
straighten out the plan payment, which should be a simple thing!
Especially since we're in agreement about how much I owe. And when
you're willing to give someone money and they're not smart enough to
take it, well...duh!)

sue

Seriously, I totally believe it. It's like the opposite of our Verizon
issues, they take too much money, and I spend hours trying to straighten it
out - but the technical service is great.

Ellice

Old July 5th 09, 03:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
J. H. T./B.D.P.

I use to work for a few companies that "sold" the extra
warranties, most of them were actually from a third
company and not the one you bought the item from.

Things to look at:
1) Does the manufacturer cover the period they are selling,
ie. 2-3 year, when manufacturer has 3 year included.
If no to #1, then how long does it extra really cover, most
only "add" extra years to come up to the total not the
amount of years on top.
2) What is included in price. ie Shipping/Handling covered,
one way or both. Replacement batteries each year, what
is cost to purchase on own compared to extra warranty.
Checkups/tune-ups extra without warranty or cheaper with.
3) Forget extra warranties when store staff doesn't tell about
till you are at the cash register. When store does extra
warranties this method, it is pushed as impulse so you do
not have time to check details and most are not needed.
4) When for warranty talked about, ask for pamphlets about
it. Forget it when the staff uses any reason to not give one
a.s.a.p., or when they don't let you have time to read any of
it. Most of the time, these type will have enough shortcuts
to not let you use it properly. Such as, certain items in 30-90
days of purchase of the full warranty term.
5) Who does the repairs and such, the manufacturer or the store.
Except for authorized repair centers owned by store itself, most
repairs by stores can void the manufacturer's warranties.

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message
Don't remember if it was this group or the RV group where we discussed
extra warranties.

Our new Kenmore frig/freezer, delivered yesterday from Sears has the usual
warranty.

They are "pushing" a $65/pa program where they come out annually to do
maintenance ( apparently the cooling fans whatever are underneath) . I
never knew they needed anything. It also covers a lot of parts, food
replacement ( up to $250 pa, which is under the Homeowner deductible).

To begin with I was against it, as is JIm.

On retrospect, we are in our 70s, don't do much of this "pull it out and
clean it" stuff.

I think I will try to talk DH into doing the five year contract. ONly god
or some other fate knows what we will be like 5 years from now. Makes
sense to me.
Opinions??

Gill

Old July 16th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Hello All,

If the little bird in the head is singing "rip-off!! rip-off!! rip-
off!!" then it probably is one...

I moved into a house where the dryer exhaust was vented under the
fridge which was 8 years old and in good working order. Plenty of
dust bunnies but the fridge didn't seem to mind.

In my experience an extended warranty has NEVER been worth it.

Irene

Old July 16th 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
MelissaD

wrote:
[...]

I generally would agree with you except when it comes to very expensive
items.

I had a new GE Profile refrigerator that had an extended warranty -
within the first 2 years the electronic motherboard failed and it only
cost me a few hundred $ to have everything swapped out - and I saved
about $600 by doing that.

Also - same issue with a big trailer-mounted log splitter - we paid a
few $ for coverage and when the motor died we got a new one for free -
instead of $600-800 out of our pocket.

Small items like VCRs, yard tools, etc. I don't think it's worth it.

MelissaD

need input on new needles please! myswendy Yarn 7 August 14th 07 11:15 PM
Two items I would really like to have need input Maureen Wozniak Quilting 0 January 10th 07 01:50 PM
Need your input..... nana wilson Quilting 6 October 20th 06 10:13 PM
OT - Bra input Helen C Beads 18 February 10th 05 04:02 AM
Your Input Lisa Rubberstamps 11 September 22nd 03 02:38 PM