Handbags

Old March 2nd 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

Default Handbags

Kellie,I got one of those at the Hallmark store, too. I always hate to put
my purse on the floor so when I saw them I had to have one.

--
Donna in NE La.
"Kellie J Berger" wrote in message
that's where these purse hangers
http://www.pursejewelry.com/shoppursehangers.html come in handy! ( nayy,
just the first link that came up when I searched. ) I got mine at a
halmark store.
The best part is the heavier your purse, the better they hold lol

--
Kellie J. Berger
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"Val" wrote in message
I've never passed anything on to this group I've gotten in email but this
sort of made me go "hmmmmmm". I'm not a germ freak and have used just
soap and water and sometimes a little bleach to keep me and my family
clean and very healthy since the Apostles were Cub Scouts, it's worked
fine and I've never used "anti bacterial" anything. BUT, I think you need
to be smart. I threw a hissy when I found the boys putting their gym
shoes on the kitchen counter, gave them a huge lecture about where THOSE
had been and we have food on that counter. The following is something I
had never considered.

Read on...

Have you ever noticed women who sit their handbags on public toilet
floors, then go directly to their dining tables and set it on the table?
Happens a lot!

It's not always the 'restaurant food' that causes stomach distress.
Sometimes "what you don't know will hurt you"!

Mom got so upset when guests came in the door and plopped their handbags
down on the counter where she was cooking or setting up food. She always
said that handbags are really dirty, because of where they have been.

It's something just about every woman carries with them. While we may
know what's inside our handbags, do you have any idea what's on the
outside? Women carry handbags everywhere; from the office to public
toilets to the floor of the car Most women won't be caught without their
handbags, but did you ever stop to think about where your handbag goes
during the day.

"I drive a school bus, so my handbag has been on the floor of the bus a
lot," says one woman. "On the floor of my car, and in toilets."

"I put my handbag in grocery shopping carts and on the floor of the
toilet," says another woman "and of course in my home which should be
clean."

We decided to find out if handbags harbor a lot of bacteria. We learned
how to test them at Nelson Laboratories in Salt Lake , and then we set
out to test the average woman's handbag.

Most women told us they didn't stop to think about what was on the bottom
of their handbag. Most said at home they usually set their handbags on
top of kitchen tables and counters where food is prepared.

Most of the ladies we talked to told us they wouldn't be surprised if
their handbags were at least a little bit dirty.

It turns out handbags are so surprisingly dirty, even the microbiologist
who tested them was shocked.

Microbiologist Amy Karen of Nelson Labs says nearly all of the handbags
tested were not only high in bacteria, but high in harmful kinds of
bacteria. Pseudomonas can cause eye infections, staphylococcus aureaus
can cause serious skin infections, and salmonella and EColi found on the
handbags could make people very sick.

In one sampling, four of five handbags tested positive for salmonella,
and that's not the worst of it. "There is fecal contamination on the
handbags" says Amy. Leather or vinyl handbags tended to be cleaner than
cloth handbags, and lifestyle seemed to play a role. People with kids
tended to have dirtier handbags than those without, with one exception.

The handbag of one single woman who frequented nightclubs had one of the
worst contaminations of all. "Some type of feces, or possibly vomit" says
Amy.

So the moral of this story is that your handbag won't kill you, but it
does have the potential to make you very sick if you keep it on places
where you eat.

Use hooks to hang your handbag at home and in toilets, and don't put it
on your desk, a restaurant table, or on your kitchen countertop.

Experts say you should think of your handbag the same way you would a
pair of shoes.

"If you think about putting a pair of shoes onto your countertops, that's
the same thing you're doing when you put your handbag on the
countertops" - Your handbag has gone where individuals before you have
sneezed, coughed, spat, urinated, emptied bowels, etc!

Do you really want to bring that home with you?

The microbiologists at Nelson also said cleaning a handbag will help.
Wash cloth handbags and use leather cleaner to clean the bottom of
leather handbags.

This isn't really just a handbag thing. Men & women carry around
briefcases, computer cases, backpacks, book bags etc, all having been
pretty much the same places as handbags. Where have those shopping (not
grocery ) bags, been when you get home and put them on the counters and
tables?

Old March 2nd 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Default OT Handbags

Don't know 'bout you - but the older I get the more amazed
I am at how much wisdom my mum had and tried SO hard to pass
on. Back then I called it nagging.

Like many "rebels", as a teenager I swore I would never be
like my mum. I am constantly surprised to hear her words
coming out my mouth now lol.

I am sure she would have an "I-told-you-so" smile if she
were still around to read this too.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
: Some quilting friends were talking about this as if it was
news. I don't get
: why this is such a surprise! My mama taught us back in the
dark ages, to not
: put our purses and school bags where we put food. I have
always followed
: that rule. In fact, I avoid putting bags on floors any
how, though I realize
: it is sometimes unavoidable. Once I had someone arrive at
my home and plop
: her purse on the buffet table where I had food and dishes
set out for
: serving. I did not say UGH, but I thought it!! I just
stated that the food
: might splash her purse, and suggested she put it on a
bench. Boy, my sisters
: and I really appreciate the little things our Mom taught
us.
: PAT in VA/USA
:
:
:

Old March 2nd 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Much of my misspent youth was spent working at the local mall and from all
the things that I've seen *there* in the public ladies rooms, I have NEVER
put my purse on the floor. Never. Ever.

Women can be every bit, if not MORE, nasty than even the most drunken,
immature male college student (no offense). I have seen ladies rooms that
prove that fact. In fact, it got so bad there (and this was, believe it or
not, an upscale mall) that most of the gals that worked at the mall just
gave up on the ladies' room and just used the mens!!

Anyway, I always hang it up. Or if worse comes to worse, I will balance it
on one of those huge toilet paper dispensers (the ones that are the size of
the average Volkswagen Bug) and lean against it to keep it from falling. Or,
better yet, since I don't keep make-up in my purse, I'll just leave it with
hubby at the table in restaurants, or have DD hold it while shopping!! Those
two are messy, too, but at least I know where they've been!! LOL!!

--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

Old March 3rd 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

There's a big drive on in the UK at the moment to get people to use
cloth bags instead of grocery store ones, in fact there have been
suggestions that plastic carrier bags not be issued at all in shops.

When we went to France we got caught out the first time we shopped as we
hadn't taken any bags - so used to them just being there!
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Julia Altshuler wrote:
Val wrote:

Have you ever noticed women who sit their handbags on public toilet
floors, then go directly to their dining tables and set it on the
table? Happens a lot!

Snopes gives this one a TRUE.

I've had reason to do some research on Winter Vomiting Disease and have
been learning about disinfectants. It turns out that bleach-water is
still a good one. It's obviously not perfect for everything, but it's
surprisingly available and inexpensive and effective.

But more to the point for this list: Cloth bags that can go in the
washing machines. I've never carried a handbag. I keep small necessary
items in my jeans pockets. Purchases go in the plastic bag that the
retailer gives me (and gets recycled on a dog walk). Now I'm thinking
what a good idea a simple colorful cloth bag with handles is. It could
be folded and stuffed in a pocket when not in use. It can be brought
out for grocery store purchases (for those of you who don't need the
plastic for dogs). It can be used as a handbag when needed. IT CAN BE
THROWN IN THE WASHING MACHINE every few days just as t-shirts are.

Cloth bags are next on my list. It's not like I don't have a stash to
make them out of.

--Lia

Old March 3rd 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy

That struck a "great moment" of "Mommy-hood" for me, Cheryl. Sometimes I
didn't have the time or was not in a place to explain to my kids when I told
them to NOT do something... so I'd say, "Because I said so, that's why!!!"
My DD swore that that was one thing she would Never, Ever say!! Well, one
night, my DD called me (laughing her head off)... She said, "It just came
out of my mouth before I could stop it!"

ME-Judy

Old March 3rd 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

I was shopping with my daughter (who enjoys being a grandmother of
seven) and caught one of those 'Mommy' things. Usually, I set my purse in
the toddler seat of the shopping cart and weave the cart's belt through the
purse's straps. I know it won't disturb a mad bandit but it might slow them
down 1/10th of a second anyway.
When she saw me securing (somewhat) the purse, DD growled, "Don't DO
that! Do you have any idea what's been in that seat?"
Then she enlightened me with the number of germs, viruses, and other
unspeakable stuff that little kids distribute.
Oh my, how my own mother would have smiled to hear the lecture I got.
Polly

"ME-Judy" wrote That struck a "great moment" of "Mommy-hood" for me,

Old March 3rd 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mystified One[_2_]

Reminds me of a sad story regarding the niece of a friend of mine. The
little girl is about 3 years old, and both her parents are addicted to meth.
They've been in and out of jail several times, and this child needs a new
home. They were ready to adopt her, but wanted to have a medical exam
first, mostly because of the pathogens carried by IV drug users, like
hepatitis and HIV. Turns out this child at the rich age of 3, has MRSA,
which has colonized. This is especially sad because not only will she carry
the disease the rest of her life and face amputations and other outbreaks,
but my friend would run the risk of contracting the disease, something he
could not afford, due to his COPD.

Children in those cards will have diarrhea, which doesn't ever get cleaned
up enough, IMHO, and then they mouth the handle of the cart, which has been
touched by God Knows Who, and then we touch the carts. If you've ever
wondered about those antibacterial wipes in the fronts of the stores, now
you know why. Bleah!!!

Old March 3rd 08, 12:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AliceW

My grandson, even at 3.5 years, doesn't go into a shopping cart without Mom
inserting the cart cover. Not only does it cover the seat entirely, but it
covers the handle as well. He loves it too since it has all kinds of
pockets where he can stash his little cars and dino figures. Plus it has a
cup holder. Mom also wipes the handle and seat with the antibacterial wipes
provided by the store before the cart cover even gets put on. The cover is
washable as well and gets washed after their weekly shopping trip to the
food store.

--
AliceW - Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old March 5th 08, 08:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
René[_2_]

What a valuable subject! I've always been a bit on the OCD side of
what germs I want to encounter. Of course, I'm an RN and every job I
had emphasized infection control (Labor & Delivery, Newborn and NICU,
Surgical Dept.). It's affected everything I do -- where I put my
dishcloth; how I clean everything in the house; where I eat out; how I
store food in my refridgerator; what soaps and detergents I use; even
what jewelry I wear.

It can get out-of-hand unless you're willing to use some common sense
along with your war on germs. LOL If you have kids or pets, you need
to consider a lot of things, and temper it with being "normal."

It's important to see a possible problem, when everyone else is
clueless. Like where you put your handbag. Or where you put your
grocery bags after you pay for things at the store. Or when you try
on shoes at the store. Think about those cosmetics demonstrations.
Think about shaking hands (this weirds me out sometimes). Or who is
kissing your baby.

I'm sure you can add your own nit-pickers. Don't be afraid of setting
good examples; don't be embarrassed.

René

beautiful handbags ryhuj Quilting 0 September 7th 07 06:24 AM
Anyone design handbags? Cheryl Isaak Marketplace 1 August 24th 05 04:32 PM
Denim Handbags [email protected] General Crafting 0 April 16th 05 07:15 AM
Neat handbags Christina Peterson Beads 3 March 15th 04 07:54 PM
Making handbags Sakamoto Sewing 3 February 4th 04 07:37 PM