A new approach to tumbling blocks

Old February 27th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default A new approach to tumbling blocks

One of my goals in quilting was to do a quilt in baby or tumbling
blocks. I have always understood that the only way to do this
particular pattern was to use the English paper piecing method. This
has been off putting for me as I didn't want to do all of that hand
sewing for each and every block on the large sized quilt I had
envisioned. I tried to think of the reason that it was stated in every
book that I own that makes reference to sewing that design, that the
only way to do it is with paper piecing. Well, let me disabuse you of
that idea. I decided to spend the afternoon sewing a number of blocks
into a pattern that will constitute the soon to be long hoped for
quilt of baby or tumbling blocks.. I don't understand what all the
fuss is about using a machine to sew this pattern. Yes you have to set
in points, but that is half the fun of it. I note that my Bernina 1/4"
quilting foot has hash marks on both sides of the base of the foot,
and that greatly facilitates placement of the needle in exactly the
right place to make the points on the block meet. I have a starting
swatch of 8 blocks completed and I don't see how using the paper
piecing method could have produced any more exact placements of the
blocks. I won't be able to finish this quilt with any great speed, as
it is an exacting discipline to get every thing right and requires
constant attention. I am also in the midst of a woodworking project so
I only have afternoons to devote to this project. But I am happy to
report that it is possible to do this pattern only by machine, and it
is not any more demanding than some other ones of a supposedly
difficult nature. Good news for me as I don't do hand sewing with any
degree of interest or skill, due to the calloused stubby fingers that
are the result of work experience plus genetics. They are, as I like
to say, perfectly suited to potato grubbing like my Irish ancestors
used to use such for. If you have ever thought of doing this pattern,
but hesitated to try it by machine, go ahead and disregard the books
and give it a try. You will probably find that it is not that big a
deal, and you will be able to add another skill to your quiver of
quilting arrows. I have for edification, the proof of the above,
below.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635qXHzbG

John
Old February 27th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte

Beautiful John. Can't wait to see the finished quilt. This is one of those
quilts that are on my someday list but seeing how I love doing things by
hand, I will probably EPP it.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old February 27th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

John wrote:
One of my goals in quilting was to do a quilt in baby or tumbling
blocks. I have always understood that the only way to do this
particular pattern was to use the English paper piecing method.

There are always options! Anything that can be paper pieced can be
machine pieced, it may have Y seams, or curved piecing, but it's never
impossible.

There is a way that reduces the number of set in seams, but would only
look tolerable on certain fabric choices, which is to split one diamond
into two triangles, join each of those to a diamond, join the results to
a hexagon. You'd still have set in seams whilst joining all the blocks
together.

Tumbling blocks is something I've never really had an urge to do, but
it's not the construction that puts me off, it just doesn't really "do"
anything for me.

Cheers
Anne
Old February 27th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 27, 4:53*pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

I love the optical illusion of this design. The next thing on the
agenda for this type of thing, is the hollow tumbling block quilt. .
Even more set in stuff. That should put the challenge back in quilting
for me. Gotta love those challenges.

John
Old February 27th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Way to go, John!!

Karen, Queen of Squishies,
always proud of someone's growth!
--
and when you get the chance
to sit it out or dance.......

Old February 27th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Very nice John.

http://aliciasattic.com/
Some gorgeous variations here and in the book featured by
Sara Nephew, but also the "Not Your Grandmother's . . . . "
series of patterns with easier construction techniques for
hex and diamond designs for those put off by the piecing.
They work best in prints as they involve extra seams.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

:

Old February 28th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

I have done some similar blocks by machine, and have some more planned. G
However smaller ones are easier to do by hand, but not with English
Paper Piecing, at least for me VBG !!!! I am working on some with
Inklingo printed fabrics, diamonds that are 1" on a side. G

Pati, in Phx who also has short, stubby Irish fingers.G

Old February 28th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Karen Combs (???) has a book titled "Optical Illusions for Quilters"
that has a lot of info on this type of quilt. And how to machine piece
it all. G Great book for those who like the op-art type things.

Pati, in Phx

Old February 28th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

I played with Tumbling Blocks for a few days, John and decided that they
weren't for me. They ended up in the trash; no temper fit or anything. I
just didn't enjoy the doing of it. If you would consider suggestions from a
confessed failure, I think you might want to set your stitch length a little
shorter, consider using a darker thread (perhaps gray) and see what happens
if you press your seams open. Don't know if any of these ideas will be
worth a hoot to you; just wanted to help you succeed where I shamelessly
abandoned ship. Polly

Old February 28th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 27, 10:04*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
* * I played with Tumbling Blocks for a few days, John and decided that they
weren't for me. *They ended up in the trash; no temper fit or anything. *I
just didn't enjoy the doing of it. *If you would consider suggestions from a
confessed failure, I think you might want to set your stitch length a little
shorter, consider using a darker thread (perhaps gray) and see what happens
if you press your seams open. *Don't know if any of these ideas will be
worth a hoot to you; just wanted to help you succeed where I shamelessly
abandoned ship. *Polly

I know about he stitch length. This was just a test series to see of I
could do it. The color of the thread is natural, which is what I use
for most piecing, I just pressed these open really flat and with a lot
of heat so they are still cooling down from the pressing and have not
come back to their natural lay. I think the stitch length is about
2.40 or so. it is hard to tell on the mechanical slide on the 1008,
but they are short. When they are stitched in the ditch, they will
likely disappear.

John

Tumbling Blocks Alice Quilting 24 January 13th 08 07:11 PM
Tumbling Blocks Help Mika Quilting 14 April 18th 07 08:24 PM
S.E.X. and Tumbling Blocks revisited Dannielle Quilting 8 January 5th 07 01:58 AM
Can't resist them tumbling blocks... spampot Yarn 26 March 27th 05 12:23 AM
Tumbling Blocks help dogmom Quilting 13 February 9th 04 02:06 PM