OT EQ5 file problems

Old February 24th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

Default OT EQ5 file problems

sorry i replied twice then read thru rest of replys.
i see you already tried this. hmmmmmm.
if EQ5 is not showing on your puter as a choice of 'program to open with' cuz as
you said you removed it,
this could be why its having a hizzy fit.
i'd be tempted to reinstall so both EQ5 and EQ6 are on it.
seems silly i know but oh heck i dont know squat about the MS problem you're
having there.
i'll go take a nap i think, sorry to be a pita.
j.

"nzlstar*" wrote...
oh, you removed EQ5, no wonder it wont open.
if a PJ5 will open in EQ6 (so the EQ folks tell us), then you might need to
right click/open, then choose EQ6 and tick the box 'always open with'. might
need to do it with each PJ5 file for this to work so you then just need to
double click after giving it that instruction.
puters automatically want to open a program that the file was written with in
the first place.
you're asking it to open with a different version of EQ, just change that to
EQ6 and you should be away laughing.
fingers crossed, lol.
j.

"Kay Ahr" wrote...
eq5.exe
eqtools.ocx

I wondered what would happen if I just reinstalled EQ5. What will an
uninstall and/or reinstall wipe out? (It's been 10 years since I've done
desktop support on a Windows PC! Boy, do I feel old!)

--
Kay Ahr in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
Someone had already asked in the EQ forum, so I took their suggestion.

Microsoft says it is an EOM (DELL) problem. But funny how the MFC error
message comes up and says it is related to how Microsoft collects personal
information from my computer!

I will try to replicate the problem and come back. . . . .

Thank you!
--
Kay Ahr in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr
to respond to me directly, remove "WESTHI" from the email address

"SewVeryCreative" wrote in message
FWIW, though you probably already know this, MFC (Microsoft Foundation
Class) files are the files that decide what file formats belong to which
apps, and are responsible for opening and closing files, period.

The problem (again, you probably already know this) lies completely with MS
(no teasing you about having a Mac!) and not EQ. MS is the group you need
your answer from (rather than asking at the EQ forum.

I'm currently scouring the MS knowledgebase to see if there's a fix or
patch
out there for your problem ... do you have any more info for me? Was it
more
specific in the filename?

Honestly HTH!!
--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
I've visited the new EQ forums, but another member's solution didn't help.

I've always been able to double-click on a PJ5 file and it would then open
in EQ5. Can't do that anymore. I get an error message that says
"C:\Documents cannot be found." I get the option to send a message to
Microsoft (no comments about getting a MAC instead please), and it
indicates
something about an MFC file.

Anyone else having this problem? Or have you found a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Old February 24th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*[_2_]

did EQ6 when installed overwrite the EQ5 version of the program perhaps.
so there is no EQ5 for the PJ5 files to open in.
without telling it to open in EQ6 its lost in cyberspace so to speak.
just another of my two cents which are fast becoming worth less than a penny,
lol.
j.

"CATS" wrote...
I have the same problem. It started some time after I had
installed EQ6 (not immediately) so I had just assumed that
it was not an EQ issue and left it at that.

In my case if I double click a PJ5 file - not found
message you are getting

If I dc a PJ6 file - it opens in EQ6

If I right click a PJ5 file and select open with EQ5 - no
joy, not found message again

If I right click a PJ5 file and select open with EQ6 - PJ5
files open in EQ6.

That started me wondering if it was an issue between EQ5 and
EQ6. But either way, I have to open EQ5 and search for my
files from there, or I have to use EQ6 (and convert all
files to EQ6 format - probably not so bad now they have
addressed some of the issues they had back when it was firts
released).

Many of my EQ files are very detailed applique designs, and
EQ5 was far more "forgiving" about stray lines in blocks.
So I often had lines to mark block centres or diagonals on
my EQ5 files. If I try to open them in EQ6 I get error
messages and I have to go through every single block and
version to remove the "unclosed shape" before I can use the
file in EQ6. There were some nice things about EQ5 that I
miss in EQ6.

And I still HATE their limited installation system (I have
used all mine already!!). If they really wanted protection
against piracy - perfectly understandable - why couldn't
they have introduced a USB dongle like the one I have to use
for my digitizing software?

But I digress, and I promised not to rant anymore about EQ6
and it's "issues"

I hope you get an answer, but in the meantime - would you
mind converting all the EQ5 formats to EQ6 as you open them?
I won't change mine because I want to keep some of my
marking lines, but if you have mostly pieced designs that
might not be an issue.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
: "Sandy" wrote in message
: ...
: In article
,
: "Kay Ahr" wrote:
:
[...]
: Gosh, Kay, I hope you get this solved soon. If it helps
any, I've
: learned something from your post. Just on a whim, I
tried
: double-clicking on one of my EQ6 files, and what do you
know? It opened
: right up! I didn't realize it would do that. No big
deal, you say? Well,
: remember I was clicking on it from my Mac OS -- my
emulator promptly
: opened, and so did EQ6 with the selected file! Wow!
:
: --
: Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
: sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the
obvious)
: http://www.sandymike.net
:
:
: It's just more of an inconvenience than anything else. I
can still open EQ5
: first, then open the PJ5 files from within the
application.
:
: I can still double-click on PJ6 files and have EQ6
automatically open.
:
: --

Old February 24th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Kay Ahr wrote:
I've visited the new EQ forums, but another member's solution didn't help.

I've always been able to double-click on a PJ5 file and it would then open
in EQ5. Can't do that anymore. I get an error message that says
"C:\Documents cannot be found." I get the option to send a message to
Microsoft (no comments about getting a MAC instead please), and it indicates
something about an MFC file.

Anyone else having this problem? Or have you found a solution?

Having read through all the other answers, I'm inclined to think this is
at least in part a windows problem, unless you've made other changes
I've not picked up on. I'm happy to ask my DH (he's a microsoft employee
and in the relevant group). So I need to get specific details.

Which version of windows are you using? Between last being able to do
this and now have you made any EQ related changes, such as reinstall,
upgrade etc. Do you currently have EQ5 installed? EQ6? Have you made any
changes with virus/spyware software?

Cheers
Anne
Old February 24th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

EQ6 does not overwrite EQ5 on installation. Both programs
remain independently functional. I don't think they share
anything in common.

--

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
[...]
: miss in EQ6.
:
: http://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest
: catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau
:
:
: "Kay Ahr" wrote in message
: om...
: : "Sandy" wrote in message
: :
: : In article
: ,
: : "Kay Ahr" wrote:
: :
: : I've visited the new EQ forums, but another
member's
: solution didn't
: : help.
: :
: : I've always been able to double-click on a PJ5 file
and
: it would then
: : open
: : in EQ5. Can't do that anymore. I get an error
message
: that says
: : "C:\Documents cannot be found." I get the option
: send a message to
: : Microsoft (no comments about getting a MAC instead
: please), and it
: : indicates
: : something about an MFC file.
: :
: : Anyone else having this problem? Or have you found
: solution?
: :
: : Thanks in advance.
: :
: :
: : Gosh, Kay, I hope you get this solved soon. If it
helps
: any, I've
: : learned something from your post. Just on a whim, I
: tried
: : double-clicking on one of my EQ6 files, and what do
you
: know? It opened
: : right up! I didn't realize it would do that. No big
: deal, you say? Well,
: : remember I was clicking on it from my Mac OS -- my
: emulator promptly
: : opened, and so did EQ6 with the selected file! Wow!

: :
: : --

Old February 24th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition on a DELL.

I have part of it figured out -- EQ5 suddenly doesn't like file names or
folder names with spaces. I have uninstalled and installed several times
this afternoon. Finally had it put My EQ5 at the root of C and called it
MyEQ5 -- no spaces. I could double-click on files from there and they would
open as long as they had no spaces in the names.

--
Kay Ahr in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr
to respond to me directly, remove "WESTHI" from the email address

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
. ..

Old February 24th 08, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Have you tried asking the info-EQ list? Penny and her crew usually have an
solution to almost any problem.
Join here. http://www.planetpatchwork.com/info-eq.htm I think the
message boards on the website were closed due to trolls. Though maybe they
have solved that by now. Good luck!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"nzlstar*" wrote in message
[...]

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
: "Sandy" wrote in message
: ...
: In article
,
:

Old February 24th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

That's where I went first. Someone else had already asked the question back
before the forums were shut down. One person had issues with a Microsoft
Security Update.

--

newsc3wj.46950$9j6.36534@attbi_s22...

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
[...]

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
: "Sandy" wrote in message
: ...
: In article
,
:

Old February 24th 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Are you a member of the list? You can ask the question again and get up to
date assistance. Much better than trying to research the archives.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
om...

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
[...]

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
: "Sandy" wrote in message
: ...
: In article
,
:

Old February 24th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

Yes, I'm a member of the list. Everyone had to reregister. The question
had been posted before the forums were shut down and answered when the new
forums came up.

--

"KJ" wrote in message
Are you a member of the list? You can ask the question again and get up
to date assistance. Much better than trying to research the archives.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
om...

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
[...]

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
: "Sandy" wrote in message
: ...
: In article
,
:

Old February 24th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I see. I hope you get it figured out. I get a daily digest of the eq
list....the shut down of the forum didn't have anything to do with the daily
messages. If all else fails....call Penny!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
om...

"KJ" wrote in message
Are you a member of the list? You can ask the question again and get up
to date assistance. Much better than trying to research the archives.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
om...

"nzlstar*" wrote in message
[...]

"Kay Ahr" wrote in message
om...
: "Sandy" wrote in message
: ...
: In article
,
:

how do I kill file? Patti Beads 3 November 25th 07 08:01 PM
File under OH MY Cheryl Isaak Needlework 16 February 21st 07 11:50 AM
Mystery glass? Big File (sorry) Glassman Glass 1 February 1st 06 02:17 PM
Mystery glass? Big File (sorry) Steve Ackman Glass 0 January 30th 06 08:20 PM
OT - file under small world Cheryl Isaak Needlework 8 March 15th 04 01:19 AM