OT completely OT! question about ipod shuffles

Old February 21st 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Default OT completely OT! question about ipod shuffles

I have so far steered clear of this technology but I am
thinking of getting something to allow me to carry music
with me on train trips.
http://tinyurl.com/24k8vq
Do these load from PCs? I do not have a Mac, so I was
hoping someone here might have one or could point me in the
right direction for clear (as in "written for dummies")
specifications. I do not want or need a full ipod (40,000
tunes!!?) or any video capability (can't see a TV screen so
3" screens are out!). I just need something to hold a
couple of hundred favourite tunes to while away the time on
trips.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

Old February 21st 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

I have an iPod and it syncs from my PC. You need to install the iTunes
software... but it should work without any problems.

--
Kate in MI

Old February 21st 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
steve

Totally agree with Kate. I've been using iTunes on a PC, without and iPod,
and it is very simple. I now have an iPod Classic, long story but a
wonderful gift from my guy on Valentines, and I tend to load my music first
into iTunes and when I connect my iPod it syncs automatically. Very user
friendly.

And I don't say that lightly. I may be a computer teacher, and very
computer and software literate, but things like cell phones and iPods throw
me for a loop. You'll manage just fine.

Steven
Alaska

Old February 21st 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Thanks Kate and Steve. Sounds like what I need. Just gotta
find one over here now.

(Sometimes it can be a real bu##er being house-bound in the
sticks lol but any excuse to browse around on the
internet is welcome - though often expensive 'cos of all
the other stuff I see and unexpectedly decide I "need"!)

--

:
: And I don't say that lightly. I may be a computer
teacher, and very
: computer and software literate, but things like cell
phones and iPods throw
: me for a loop. You'll manage just fine.
:
: Steven
: Alaska
:
:
: "CATS" wrote in message
: ...
: I have so far steered clear of this technology but I am
: thinking of getting something to allow me to carry music
: with me on train trips.
: http://tinyurl.com/24k8vq
: Do these load from PCs? I do not have a Mac, so I was
: hoping someone here might have one or could point me in
the
: right direction for clear (as in "written for dummies")
: specifications. I do not want or need a full ipod (40,000
: tunes!!?) or any video capability (can't see a TV screen
so
: 3" screens are out!). I just need something to hold a
: couple of hundred favourite tunes to while away the time
on
: trips.
:
: --
:
: Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
: o o o o o o
: ( Y ) ( Y ) and ( Y )
: Boofhead Donut Rasputin
: http://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest

Old February 21st 08, 05:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

My DD has this exact one (got it for Christmas the year it came out) and
LOVES it!!

The pros:
- Small, compact and has the nifty clip so you can clip it to your shirt,
pocket, etc.
- Economical
- Carries enough music to keep you happy ...

The cons:
- Doesn't hold as much music as some people want -- DD is quickly
outgrowing hers (a larger iPod is in her future, but don't tell her!!)
- *** Battery has SHORT life ****

I did the asterisks on that one so you'd note it. The battery only lasts a
few hours and takes about 2-4 hours to charge. That's the biggest complaint
she (or I) have about it. So if you intend to use it for train trips, make
sure that you have some sort of outlet to charge it on long trips -- or buy
two and swap off.

Another note on charging, you need iTunes to charge it. On our PC at least,
it won't charge unless it can open iTunes and sync up. But that might be
isolated to Shuffles. I dunno.

--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

Old February 21st 08, 05:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Thanks Connie.

The blurb makes it sound like the battery lasts longer, and
2-3 hours isn't long enough for what I want. Although I
only need about 6 hours, so a spare will take care of that.
I also liked that they have a small speaker system that
doesn't cost the earth. I HATE ear plugs!

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) and ( Y )
Boofhead Donut Rasputin
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"SewVeryCreative" wrote in
message ...
[...]
: ...

Old February 21st 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I don't know much about this stuff but there was a blurb
on the news earlier today that one of the ipod machines
is going down from $79 to $49 pretty quick since they
are coming out wiht a newer one. There are several of
the things around here dh and dd use but I have a 40
yo transistor am radio I listen to. Arguing to talk
radio kind of a hobby of mine
Taria

Old February 21st 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anastasia Luettecke[_2_]

"CATS" wrote:

The blurb makes it sound like the battery lasts longer, and
2-3 hours isn't long enough for what I want. Although I
only need about 6 hours, so a spare will take care of that.
I also liked that they have a small speaker system that
doesn't cost the earth. I HATE ear plugs!

So I'ma sayin':

Can't carry an extra battery for an iPod. Apple has their batteries
factory-installed, and the only way to replace the battery is to send the
entire iPod back to Apple and have them send you a refurbished one. My BIL
despises his. Says he'll never get an iPod again, but he'd much rather
settle for an off-brand.

I use a Sandisk knockoff (no video, just music). I've been perfectly happy
with it and had very few problems. And if the battery goes, I have plenty of
regular rechargeables here that I can pop in.

If you're getting an mp3 player, get one that will allow you to use NORMAL
batteries, not a factory-installed one. And the speaker system things? You
can get those for any player, too. iPod stuff only works with other iPod
stuff, but nearly all other mp3 accessories are interchangeable with each
other. It appears that Apple doesn't "play nicely" with everyone else.

Anastasia
-whose last day of work will be next Friday. Woo hoo! Quilting time will
finally be crammed in among the study time!

Old February 21st 08, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Hhmmmm. Something to think about.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) and ( Y )
Boofhead Donut Rasputin
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Anastasia Luettecke" wrote in
message news :
:

Old February 21st 08, 06:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Well, our experience has been that the battery lasts about 4-6 hours, tops,
on a FULL charge. For us, that's more or less worked out since we don't need
our teen retreating behind a pair of ear plugs for an entire evening ... but
for an adult, especially on a trip, that's nothin'.

And don't get me wrong ... when I say you may want to have a spare, I meant
a spare iPod. The battery isn't the kind you buy an extra of ... it's, for
all intents and purposes, hard-wired into the system. Supposedly, though
I've known several people who have modded theirs to accept off the shelf
battery packs, the battery can only be changed out by a certified Apple
tech.

That being said, I really *do* know several people who have cracked theirs
open (obviously not giving a doodly-squat about warranties!!) and modded
them -- one even replicated a MacAddict (magazine for Mac-heads) stunt and
wired his to a moped battery. 'Course, if you're having to tote around a 10
pound battery on a dolly, it's not very portable, is it? But that wasn't his
point. *sigh*

Anyway, there's others out there ... only ish would that if you want to use
iTunes music, you'll more than likely have to burn the music to CD and then
import the music *back* into iTunes as non-copyright protected format and
then copy it to your other-brand MP3 player.

I use my cellphone (a Sony Walkman cell phone) for my music and that's what
I have to do (buy, burn, import and copy) ... cause I've done all the other
music sites and iTunes is the only one I like (and it's the cheapest!! NAYY,
though I do have Apple stock! LOL!). Don't even get me started on Rhapsody
.... I'd wring their necks if I could!!!

Anywho, I hope some of this helped in some way ...

Good luck!!

Warm quilty hugs!!
--

"CATS" wrote in message
[...]

: ...

ISO Ipod Pattern Sandy Quilting 8 September 1st 07 09:20 PM
ipod [email protected] Quilting 6 February 4th 05 02:22 AM
Free iPod [email protected] Needlework 0 December 19th 04 05:55 AM
Free ipod FL Beads 0 November 17th 04 07:39 PM
Question: COMPLETELY OT mkahogan Beads 16 April 17th 04 06:38 PM