Drive band problems

Old April 25th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

Default Drive band problems

My Kromski has given me no end of driveband problems: the thing has
been eating drive bands at the rate of one per hour of spinning. The
importer/distributor was no help; they suggested that I sand the rim
and all the bobbins to ensure no rough spots were eating my (wet-spun
long-line linen) drivebands or my hemp drivebands. In making that
suggestion the importer overlooked that I had already done the sanding
and was still having problems :P

Today I got out a spindle and my bag of tussah silk sliver and spun
myself a driveband. The Z-spun single was almost too fine to be seen.
I made four Z-plied 2-ply strands, which I plied back together S. The
resulting cabled strand is certainly not "soft and silky" as most of
us probably think of silk! It is probably plied tightly enough to
repel water and is correspondingly hard. I'd compare it to #20 perle
cotton in terms of finished size but it is much smoother and harder.

I have high hopes that *this* drive band will make it to the 20-hour
mark. We'll see!
Old April 25th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"WoolyGooly" wrote in message

Today I got out a spindle and my bag of tussah silk sliver and spun
myself a driveband. The Z-spun single was almost too fine to be seen.
I made four Z-plied 2-ply strands, which I plied back together S. The
resulting cabled strand is certainly not "soft and silky" as most of
us probably think of silk! It is probably plied tightly enough to
repel water and is correspondingly hard. I'd compare it to #20 perle
cotton in terms of finished size but it is much smoother and harder.

I have high hopes that *this* drive band will make it to the 20-hour
mark. We'll see!

You continue to amaze me with your resourcefulness!!

Shelagh

Old April 26th 07, 09:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Apr 26, 6:22 am, WoolyGooly wrote:
My Kromski has given me no end of driveband problems: the thing has
been eating drive bands at the rate of one per hour of spinning.

Does it literally fray till it snaps? I don't get it - what could it
be wearing on?
Let us know how the new one goes.

VP

Old April 26th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On 26 Apr 2007 01:58:08 -0700, Vintage Purls
wrote:

Does it literally fray till it snaps? I don't get it - what could it
be wearing on?
Let us know how the new one goes.

The OEM drive cord was some horrid jute crap about the diameter of
Cat5 cable and it shed like nuts just being handled so I didn't even
bother with it. The knot would have been horrendous anyhow and a
lap-splice not much better.

The cotton drivebands I tried literally disintegrated: I'd be spinning
merrily along and suddenly my drive band would fly off in pieces.

Hemp cord (bought at the craft store) fared not much better: It
shredded and shed, and would eventually experience differential slip
along it's length in that where it was shredding the worst different
overlapping fibers within the cord would slip over each other in
opposite directions. Quite frustrating the first couple of times it
happened, as I didn't know it was happening and I kept cranking out
the mother, which made the problem worse, ad naus.

Long-line wet-spun linen fared better than either hemp or cotton, but
only barely. The linen wore away pretty evenly along it's entire
length and deposited a nice runnel of powdered flax fiber on the
bench. I could get 8-10 hours of spin time off one driveband though,
versus a couple of hours from hemp or about 30 minutes from cotton.

So far I have about 3 hours on the silk driveband with no apparent
wear. There's a bit of fuzzing on the knot -- I didn't do a
lap-splice this time as I wanted to see how the silk holds up before I
do any join more time-consuming than a square knot). Silk does appear
to be promising, however.

The distributor's solution was for me to 1. sand the wheel rim to
remove rough spots and 2. try different materials. I had done both of
these prior to asking for guidance from the distributor so they've
basically blown me off.

At any rate, the girl is spinning again, and I'm about to pull another
shot of espresso and lug her out to the patio for some quality outdoor
time.

OT-A game to drive you batty Lucille Needlework 5 October 15th 06 04:34 PM
OT - It was a long drive and other such stuff Sharon Harper Quilting 5 January 26th 06 11:50 PM
Hard Drive Failure ALZ Quilting 9 December 3rd 04 01:56 AM
OT Story - I'm not blonde, I only drive that way Candace Beads 7 May 6th 04 01:15 PM