OT Pagan Spam Ritual

Old May 16th 04, 08:34 PM
Candace

Debbie wrote:
You are so lucky. People around me don't like me talking about anything to
do with Wicca. I went to the flea market with my family (parents & sisters)
found a fantastic golden bowl. When I mentioned it would be perfect for my
altar, my family was horrified. LOL

Man..I couldn't imagine my family having that reaction! Most likely..my
father, or brothers would find the bowl first and come running to me with it!
(My mother would wait for me to "find" it) Paganism, in one form or many, has
always been rampant in my family....and just after the turn of the last
century, my line incorporated much of the Wiccan beliefs into our own.

~Candace~ your local hemp goddess

Old May 16th 04, 09:28 PM
Dr. Sooz

Debbie wrote:
You are so lucky. People around me don't like me talking about anything to
do with Wicca. I went to the flea market with my family (parents & sisters)
found a fantastic golden bowl. When I mentioned it would be perfect for my
altar, my family was horrified. LOL

You might suggest to them this:
It's just an old (gentle) religion. Substitute "Jewish" for "Pagan", and
they'd be horrified with *themselves* for being bigoted! Haw!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old May 16th 04, 09:48 PM
Debbie B

What's really funny is that a relative that lived in Scotland back in the
old old days had the second sight. I found that out and told my Mom so now
she understands a bit more of what I'm about. That a relative in the past
had it makes it okay. LOL

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short
"Candace" wrote in message
Debbie wrote:
You are so lucky. People around me don't like me talking about anything

do with Wicca. I went to the flea market with my family (parents &

sisters)
found a fantastic golden bowl. When I mentioned it would be perfect for

my
altar, my family was horrified. LOL

Man..I couldn't imagine my family having that reaction! Most likely..my
father, or brothers would find the bowl first and come running to me with

it!
(My mother would wait for me to "find" it) Paganism, in one form or many,

has
always been rampant in my family....and just after the turn of the last
century, my line incorporated much of the Wiccan beliefs into our own.

~Candace~ your local hemp goddess

---

Old May 16th 04, 09:48 PM
Debbie B

That's similar to what I told them.

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short
"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
Debbie wrote:
You are so lucky. People around me don't like me talking about anything

do with Wicca. I went to the flea market with my family (parents &

sisters)
found a fantastic golden bowl. When I mentioned it would be perfect for

my
altar, my family was horrified. LOL

You might suggest to them this:
It's just an old (gentle) religion. Substitute "Jewish" for "Pagan", and
they'd be horrified with *themselves* for being bigoted! Haw!
~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

---

Old May 16th 04, 10:20 PM
Candace

Debbie wrote:
What's really funny is that a relative that lived in Scotland back in the
old old days had the second sight. I found that out and told my Mom so now
she understands a bit more of what I'm about. That a relative in the past
had it makes it okay. LOL

That is too funny!

~Candace~ your local hemp goddess

Old May 17th 04, 01:44 PM
Karen_AZ

Things start to go wrong when Man, management, and money stomp their big
clumsy feet into what should be a giving expression of gratitude to God and
reverence for all His creations.

I hope that your family comes to understand that worship, like love, comes
in countless forms and expressions.

I love you Kathy!!!!!!

KarenK

Old May 17th 04, 11:34 PM
Kalera Stratton

Yeah, my ex hated me having anything to do with my religion out where
people could see them, and made fun of me endlessly for it. I'm SO happy
to be with somebody who isn't like that!

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old May 17th 04, 11:36 PM
Kalera Stratton

Paganism isn't a specific religion, it's a category of religions...
Wicca is a pagan religion, and so is Druidism, and so are native
American and Africa religions, etc.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

JL Paules wrote:
I've learned that being Wiccan is not the same thing as being a Pagan.
Wiccan is a relatively new religion whereas Paganism has been around since
rocks were invented. (Sarah corrected me when I called her a Wiccan.) I find
it fascinating so you may talk to me about it any time you'd like. :-)

Old May 17th 04, 11:42 PM
Kalera Stratton

Thanks for a really beautiful post, Kathy.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Kathy N-V wrote:
On Sun, 16 May 2004 16:48:56 -0400, Debbie B wrote
(in message . net):

That's similar to what I told them.

They could have it worse - they could have me. I'm one of those people that
TPTB of organized religion fears - a *thinking* Catholic woman with a sense
of humor. I've read all the doctrine, and the initial Catholic Church
appeals to me - not today's nearly unrecognizable version. (So much of
today's church is so far removed from the original form of worship, it's
amazing) I also think that God has a great sense of humor, and appreciates it
when His creations laugh.

I especially love the untarnished expressions of faith done in generations
long ago. Mexican retablos (painted metal expressions of thanks for a
miracle - said miracle could be anything from a life saving cure to finding a
lost earring) appeal to me. I say the Rosary and mean it, and am horrified
when people use prayer as a weapon - a prayer that someone be harmed is
offensive beyond words.

The sameness of the form of worship, the symbolicism of the incense, candles
and most aspects of the Mass are comforting to me. Something that has gone
essentially unchanged for millenia is amazing, all by itself. Things start
to go wrong when Man, management, and money stomp their big clumsy feet into
what should be a giving expression of gratitude to God and reverence for all
His creations. (BTW, I use the capitalized "God" and "He" as a measure of
respect. I believe that the being I call God is so far beyond feeble human
understanding that gender and names are meaningless. It's my imperfect way
of communicating how I feel)

I love the silly part of religion as well. I have Saint Claire statues on
all the televisions (she's the patron saint of TV because she had a vision of
Mass from miles away, long before anyone dreamt of television), Saint Isadore
lives on the modems, and "Our Lady of Extreme Acceleration and Green Traffic
Lights" is often mentioned when in a rush. I have milgros in my nicho
(little metal body parts dedicated to God in exchange for healing in an altar
dedicated to Our Lady of Guadalupe), and my Tantes send me souvenirs from
Lourdes to "cure" me. Sure, they're plastic, but they're more expressions of
love from the Tantes, and I'd think God understands the sentiment if not the
plastic.

The one thing I am not is exclusive. As I've studied ancient civilizations,
I have found striking similarities in the folktales in widely divergent
cultures describe the creation of Earth, the "Noah and the Flood" tale, and
many archetypes that some Christians think are the Biblical truth. This
leads me to believe that there is some common factor behind all the stories,
and I happen to call it God. When we contact beings from other planets, I
would be fascinated to know if they also have variations of the same stories
-if I were a betting woman, I'd say they do.

The more I learn about science, the universe and the complexity and beauty of
everything around us, the more I am reassured that there is a Higher Power
far beyond anything I could comprehend. All this simply cannot be a chain of
lucky coincidences - there's too much evidence to the contrary.

My arrogance does not reach the point where I say "my way to God is the only
way." It cannot be. Billions of humans on this planet, and likely untold
trillions on the inhabited planets in our universe, and being a Catholic is
the only correct way to worship? Uh, I can't believe that for a moment. My
path is only one of many, and my mission is to make the path as smooth as I
can for my fellow travelers. It's that simple and that difficult.

Enjoy your golden bowl, and the peace that your altar brings. I hope that
your family comes to understand that worship, like love, comes in countless
forms and expressions.

Peace,

Kathy N-V

Old May 17th 04, 11:46 PM
Debbie B

My now husband and I just stay away from any discussions. He will listen
tolerantly while I talk a little about it. I try not to overwhelm him or he
might get scared. LOL

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short

Debbie B wrote:
You are so lucky. People around me don't like me talking about anything

do with Wicca. I went to the flea market with my family (parents &

sisters)
found a fantastic golden bowl. When I mentioned it would be perfect for

my
altar, my family was horrified. LOL

---

Calling all Hippie Crafters and Artists! (Not spam) KyndCulture Beads 23 May 14th 04 01:22 AM
Scary-looking but harmless spam Lee S. Billings Beads 0 January 30th 04 07:41 AM
Spam Cheri2Star Beads 0 January 30th 04 03:25 AM
The Links List -- NOT spam. Trust me. Dr. Sooz Beads 36 January 13th 04 04:29 PM
OT Brand new spam subject line-- EVIL! Dr. Sooz Beads 20 November 8th 03 12:23 AM