My First RCTQ Meet UP!

Old October 16th 05, 01:01 AM
Bonnie

Default My First RCTQ Meet UP!

Hi Jan!

It was so great to meet you and your family!!! I must say you do have a
beautiful family too! Jessica is just adorable! I'm sorry I was not at
the Expo area sooner to see you but I was at the Marianne Fons "A Funny
Thing Happened on the Way to the Sewing Machine" talk and slide show and
that was held at the connecting hotel. I'm really glad that we caught each
other for a few minutes anyway. I was hoping to see you.

This was my first RCTQ meet up as well! Lately I've been reading and
lurking more than posting but I try to keep up as much as I can. Between
working all the time and trying to make a little progress on my projects it
seems like I don't have any time for the computer.

I played with the angora bunnies too - they sure were cuddly. I can see why
Jessica loved them so much. When I got home I mentioned playing with the
rabbits and totally confused Tom. He still can't figure out why there would
be rabbits at a quilting and sewing expo but he's learned to give up
questioning anything I say!

It was wonderful to meet you Jan - this group is lucky to have such a
special person! Maybe we will run into each other again sometime.

Bonnie (who still has a little angora fur on her clothes!)

"Jan" wrote in message
nk.net...
Yippeeee!! :-) After being on the list for 10+ years, I had my first meet
up!! Bonnie found me at the Sew Expo. And can I say she is just as nice
and lovely in person!!!! :-) Unfortunately Jess's meter was almost out so
we were on our way out, but I got to meet her!! Yippeee!!! :-)

Jan... who also played with the angora bunnies, which were not as fun as
Bonnie ;-)

Old October 16th 05, 04:02 AM
Bonnie

The Marianne Fons talk and slide show was wonderful and hilarious! She has
quite a collection of slides of *very* funny quilts. Later at the expo I
bought her book and she autographed it. I spoke with her for a long time
about all she is doing with the magazine, TV show, etc. There are only
about 12 of them that put together that magazine and they are all over
worked it sounds like. I would have thought there would be a much larger
staff for a magazine of that quality. Actually she did mention that they
are looking for someone that does editorial work and is also a quilter to
join their staff - sure would be a nice job for someone with the right
qualifications! She even said at the slide show if anyone knew of someone
that would qualify that they should contact the magazine.

Have fun when you go to Springfield - there are a lot of quilt shops there
aren't there? Are you going into Branson also? It sounds like a fun long
weekend that you all will enjoy.

Vendors at the Pleasant Hill show also????? Oh my, that does tempt me but
I am so broke now - I spent way too much money yesterday and today. Thanks
for telling me though. I'm not sure what's on our schedule for next weekend
but I will definitely keep it in mind.

Have a great time next weekend and give Jessica a hug for me. (tell her she
can call me bunny if she wants!)

Bonnie

"Jan"
Ah geeze... now I'm blushing.... Jessica is my favorite work in
progress. :-) I was so happy to see you that I forgot to ask how the
lecture was?????

And Jessica still wants to know how come those bunnies didn't come home
to join her collection lol..... Art has learned to come with or just not
ask.... it's like trying to tell someone about a movie and leaving out
half of it because you just can't tell it word for word...

Art has Thurs & Friday off... we were suppose to go camping, but our
friend is having surgery so it's postponed.... so instead I have
convinced him we must go to springfield one of those days (evil grin)

It was great to meet you!! And uhm... did I mention the flyer for
Pleasant Hill show mentions vendors??!!! :-)))

Jan

Old October 18th 05, 12:26 AM
Bonnie

If your friend is a quilter and has editorial experience then she/he just
might qualify but.... Marianne Fons said it would require moving to
Winterset, Iowa where their office is located. Marianne said that right now
she and Liz are doing a large part of the work on the magazine themselves
and that their staff is just a fraction of the size of most magazine staffs.
They really are muti-talented ladies because I think they do an excellent
job on the magazine not to mention the TV show and everything else they do.
She said they want to release some new books but have not had the time to
because of the demands of the magazine. She also said they would like to do
more public appearances but their time is limited for that as well. It sure
would be a nice job to be on their magazine staff!

I'm still looking for recovery time! I had fun at the expo but it sure wore
me out being there open to close each day and taking classes back to back
like I did. This is one of those crazy weeks at the medical office where I
work - we are busy as heck and they are making changes within the office at
the same time. Plus today I had to get some blood work done and then rush
it to the post office to get it mailed to Mayo in Rochester. I am being
tested to see if I can be a stem cell and/or bone marrow donor for my
brother who has cancer. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

A quilt show in Overland Park too? Sounds exciting! I hope I can make at
least one of the shows this weekend. Enjoy your weekend trip - it sounds
like a lot of fun! Did you know they are building a Bass Pro Shop in
Independence? It will be very close to Independence Center.

Bonnie

"Jan" wrote in message
ink.net...
Springfield has 3 fairly large quilt stores... one that is a sattelite
gammill dealer and one is an HQ dealer... so I'm going to go play,
weather permitting. There is also a drive thru safari that I think
someone little in my house would like as well as that fantastic caverns
maybe.... and of course that huge bass pro shop... not a fisher, but man
the camping gear in there is marvelous!

I do have friend from this group that just may contact you and ask you
more questions about that job.... what a great opportunity that would
be! I wonder if it needs to be local or if someone could do it long
distance......

I hope your week allows recovery time! :-) And Jess loved your bunny
imitation :-) But bunnies are big in our house. ;-) When you have an
egg allergy, you can hunt bunny rabbits instead on Easter.... so you can
imagine how big the bunny rabbit collection is... and how bad the Elmer
Fudd imitations are on that morning ;-)

And uhm... did I mention there's a quilt show in Overland Park next
weekend as well?? :-) Small guild one at Blackthorne Estates 157th &
Mission .... just in case you are in that neck of the woods.....

Jan

Old October 19th 05, 12:12 AM
Bonnie

Yes, my 9 year old granddaughter was being tested at Children's Mercy for
Marfan's Syndrome. They were not able to conclusively prove that she did
not or did have it as there are no specific tests for it. They know she has
scolosis which is one of many signs of it but that alone is not an
indication of it. They are watching her as she grows and will periodically
test her for possible problems. The biggest concern is that it can cause
serious heart problems but since they are keeping a watch on her we feel
like they would catch it before it got out of hand. Thanks for asking about
her. Overall she is doing great. She is active in Girl Scouts and recently
started taking riding lessons plus she is learning to sew and loves it!

I received notice that Mayo Hospital in Rochester did receive my blood
samples so now we are just waiting to hear results to see if I can be a stem
cell or bone marrow donor for him. I'll let you know when I find out
anything.

Enjoy that trip and give that little angel a hug for me!

Bonnie

"Jan" wrote in message
nk.net...
Thanks for the info! It is hard to believe that they do all that with
that small of staff!

I know what you mean about the recovery time. These days my time is so
fractured I find I have to choose between learning about quilting,
talking about quilting or actually quilting.... and this week no actual
quilting took place..... oh well... fabric doesn't go stale :-)

Will keep my fingers crossed for you and your brother!! I hope it works
out. How is your grand daughter doing? Wasn't she having some health
issues as well? Or am I once again confused.......

I jokingly refer to this season as guild show season.... stop by a
larger quilt store and pick up all the flyers and there seems to be a
small guild show somewhere every weekend. It's always nice to know if
there is one for a creative jump start. :-)

And yes we have been watching the Bass Pro Shop Construction... that is
going to be quite the complex by the time they are done. :-)

Jan

My First RCTQ Meet UP! nzlstar* Quilting 2 October 16th 05 01:10 AM
RCTQ meet up this Saturday Bronnie Quilting 35 June 25th 05 04:30 AM
RCTQ Meet Up 2005 Pat in Virginia Quilting 0 January 3rd 05 10:58 PM
rctq meet ups on vacation Ann Quilting 2 December 22nd 04 03:24 AM
Aussie RCTQ Meet Up - pix Bronwyn Ferrier Ms Quilting 17 August 31st 04 02:16 AM