anyone still use their vcr?

Old October 9th 05, 09:32 AM
Roberta Zollner

We dumped ours 3 years ago when we moved. Only have a DVD now.
Roberta in D

"quilter" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
I'm cleaning today - well, not really, but wandering aimlessly from
room to room thinking about cleaning...I just had a thought: anyone
want to trade VCR tapes for fat quarters or scraps? I have donated a
lot of videos over the past few years, but still have quite a few left
that I'd like to part with. Email me if you'd like a list.
(In case this seems too off-topic, one is "how to make an american
quilt").

Lynn

Old October 9th 05, 11:57 AM
Patti

We have and use our VCR daily!
Our first DVD player was only bought this past March.
I expect we will buy a DVD recorder when this (quite recent) VCR finally
expires; ie, if I outlive it g

Gosh, is it three years since you left Denmark, Roberta? Wow!
..
In message , Roberta Zollner
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 9th 05, 01:22 PM
Denise in NH

If you have TIVO, do you like it? Is it
worth it? How hard is it to hook it up?
---Witchy STitcher

When one of my VCRs died, I looked into buying a TIVO. It would have
cost $200 to $300 for the appliance and a monthly fee for the service.
Instead, I called my cable company and they offered a similar product
for just the $11 a month service fee, the machine was free and they
replace it when it dies, for free. I wasn't aware that they even had
this DVR service until I called.

I absolutely love it, I can record two things at the same time, while
watching a third show. There's no re-winding or searching for a
specific show. When you want to watch something you just press one
button and there's the list of all the shows you've recorded. I can
also pause and rewind live shows and there are dozens of free movies and
DIY shows that can be watched at any time.

I know that most folks are more techno than me, but for those of you who
are still struggling with recording with a vcr and are ready for
something new that costs very little, look into the dvr service through
your cable company. This thing is so easy to use and self explanatory
that it didn't even come with an instruction manual. And very best of
all, the nice cable man hooked it up and didn't leave till I knew how to
use it.

Denise

Old October 9th 05, 02:24 PM
Nann Hilyard

Polly,
The American Library Association is working with the Louisiana, Mississippi,
Alabama, and Texas Library Associations to coordinate relief efforts. The
director of our regional library system (www.nsls.info) suggested that we
pool our resources and participate in the "adopt-a-library" program set up
by ALA (www.ala.org). We have been assigned the Jefferson Parish Library
that serves suburban New Orleans.

The point is that libraries need your money rather than your used books.
Sell the books where you are and contribute the proceeds!

Nann
official librarian of RCTQ

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
nk.net...
Wait, wait, Nann. Mississippi was hit by the northeast quadrant of

Katrina
for nearly 12 hours and most libraries suffered badly. Please remember

them
when you have your sale. Lots of them went under at least 3 to 30 feet of
water. They need your help too. Polly

"Nann Hilyard" wrote in message
news
Lynn (and everyone),

Your local library will welcome videotapes for the next booksale. Our
in-the-lobby ongoing sale brings in upwards of $500 per month.

(Proceeds
from October will be sent to help restock/rebuild libraries in

Louisiana.)

Old October 9th 05, 02:34 PM
Phyllis Nilsson

We have two VCRs hooked up to one tv and record two different channels
while watching a third. I still don't know how my stepdaughter set it
up, but she did and it works great.

Old October 9th 05, 03:24 PM
Susan Torrens

We use our VCR on a regular basis, but just to tape programs to watch at a
later date. (We like to set our own schedule and scan through the
commercials)
DVD player is for movie watching.

--
Susan in Kingston ON
quilting - what else?

Old October 9th 05, 03:43 PM
Taria

Once you get the PVR or DVR you wonder how you lived without it. DS
gave us his. Has 100 hours to record and is easy to use.
We have a machine that will tape video and burn dvd's in addition to
playing both. It is pretty neat too. I don't see a time soon where we
won't have a vcr but I still have an 8mm projector with movies from
dh's family years ago. Nostalgic stuff at this point.
TAria

Old October 9th 05, 04:24 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Pauline" wrote:

We have Dishnet - same idea as Tivo, I guess. Do you need a dish installed
for Tivo? We have 2 dishes - 2 boxes & 2 TV's. I can't remember what life
was like without prerecording my TV shows! Shameful, huh? The drawback is
that so often, we'll be out & for some reason, someone will bring up a great
commercial & ask if we've seen it - NOPE! We fast forward thru the ads!
Sounds like some of the ads might be better than the shows!!

We have Dish satellite and their version of Tivo, and I love it! There
was a charge for the receiver/DVR, but there's no extra monthly charge.
The only downside is that this version can only record one show at a
time, though you can watch a previously-recorded show while recording
another. Oh -- one other downside to any version of DVR/Tivo is that,
since everything is recorded on a hard drive, rather than on a DVD or
tape, you can't decide to watch what you've recorded in another room
unless you first transfer the recording to either tape or DVD. But
that's really not a problem for me very often, since I do most of my
recording and watching in my sewing room. G
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old October 9th 05, 04:33 PM
Cindy Schmidt

We have TIVO and LOVE IT. Instead of paying the $15.00-ish a month we just
went ahead and paid the full $300 for the membership and we're done with it.
Very easy to hook up. Had it almost 1 year now and wouldn't trade it for
the world.

--
Cindy from MO

"WitchyStitcher" wrote in message
If you have TIVO, do you like it? Is it worth it? How hard is it to
hook it up?

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 21:14:28 GMT, "Calico"
wrote:

You don't by any chance have the Centennial series (12 tapes) do you?

Linda, in PA

groups.com...

Old October 9th 05, 11:19 PM
Bonnie Patterson

We have one that records to disc, DVD, and you can start watching at
the beginning and keep on recording. The only problem is that if you
are still recording you cannot fast forward through the commercials.
This machine is SOs for use as he sends so little time watching TV, he
is a Redskin fan, and does more reading than anything else.

I have two VCRs that I use frequently, especially when I think that I
might fall asleep before the end of a show.

Bonnie, in Middletown, VA

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 15:24:10 GMT, Sandy Foster