Beginner knitter ?

Old January 11th 04, 03:49 AM
Annika J

Default Beginner knitter ?

Hi i'm trying to make a scarf i'm doing purl and stitch. Can someone please
tell me why i keep getting extra stitches? Thanks a bunch Annika

Old January 11th 04, 04:06 AM
Karen C - California

In article , "Annika J"
writes:

Can someone please
tell me why i keep getting extra stitches?

You may be twisting the yarn around the needle an extra time.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old January 11th 04, 12:07 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hallo Annika ,
Do you mean you purl 1 stich , than knit 1 stich ???? On Sun, 11 Jan
2004 03:49:10 GMT, "Annika J" wrote:

Hi i'm trying to make a scarf i'm doing purl and stitch. Can someone please
tell me why i keep getting extra stitches? Thanks a bunch Annika

You might have forgotten to move thr thread forward and backwards .
purl at st, move thread backwards , knit 1 st , move thread forward
,,mirjam

Old January 11th 04, 02:28 PM
Caryn

Can someone please
tell me why i keep getting extra stitches?

You may be twisting the yarn around the needle an extra time.

You also might be transferring the previous row's stitch across the needle when
you knit. You'd end up with two loops around the needle, when you really only
wanted one.

Wrapping the needle twice would more likely give you large holes in your work
than extra stitches. At least that's what I've found.

Try slowing down just a little, seeing exactly where the tip of your needle is
going with each stitch, make sure you aren't picking up stitches from between
stitches (this is actually called Make 1, and is a method for doing increases),
make sure you are only transfering one loop across the needles with each
stitch.

This is all part of learning to knit, it takes a little patience (something
adults forget sometimes).

Good luck!

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old January 11th 04, 02:35 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Caryn wrote:
make sure you aren't picking up stitches from between
stitches (this is actually called Make 1, and is a method for doing increases),
make sure you are only transfering one loop across the needles with each
stitch.

What a lovely response to the original post.

This is the first time I've heard of "Make 1", and I'm intrigued! Can
you explain in written word, or is this something you must "see". I
think I understand (picking up that loop between 2 stitches as you
spread apart the needles), but further info would be welcomed by me.
I'd like to see how this works and in what instances you would use it.

Dianne

Old January 11th 04, 04:34 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Dianne there are many ways to Make , and they can be used to achieve
not only a to add a stich , but also to have a Decorative addition.
The method Caryn mentioned , is indeed done as you understood,you push
your right hand needle into the `bridge` between the 2 stiches , the
1you already knitted and the next one to be stiched
V--V the v =a knit st the -- is the line between , this
make 1 will produde a little [decorative] hole.
Another method , calls for knit 1 into stich as usual, NOT pulling it
off the left needle, taking your thread to the front and making a purl
stich into same stich , now pull `old` stich off the needle , the
little - line of the purl would almost be invisible. but you also
won`t see the hole you will see in the former method
Another method is look closely at your next stich under the V stich
`hangs` the former row stich [ never mind if a knit or a purl stich.
take the push your right needle into the / =right side of the stich of
previous row, knit or purl as needed in this place , , Do Not pull
ofleft needle , now knit the stich in the row and pull off the left
needle. this method also provides a very hidden addition , [no hole]
You can also , jusy loop your thread between 2 knitted [purled]
stiches and knit this loop the next row, this will leave a small hole
as well ,
You could also turn your work so that your thread is on your left
needle , knit a stich , don`t pull former st off needle , parallel
your needles put new stich on left needle , turn work and knit on as
usual , next row this aded stch will be knitted as all .
I hope Dianne this will cover some methods for you .
mirjam
, On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 08:35:11 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski

Old January 11th 04, 07:20 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Ok. Let me see if I got this straight:
Make 1 = Yarn Over.

That's different than picking up stitches between stitches. I read your
sentence/thought as: picking up a stitch from the *previous* row that
is between the needles.

Yarn Overs make holes. Knitting 2 stitches in one doesn't leave a hole.

I get that it is better to increase/decrease *within* the ends, rather
than *at* the ends. Never tried that. Will next time. But for a solid
sweater, why would I want a YO to increase, rather than increase by
knitting 2 stitches in one.

I'm trying to get this. g

By the way: I wanted to do lace knitting. In Dillmont's "Encylopedia
of Needlework" there is a gorgeous tablecloth. Ok, I said. I can do
this. After 30 failures or so, I finally found out there is an error in
the pattern (I worked it out in Pattern Maker). So, with correct
pattern in hand, I tried again. It is such a complicated lace pattern,
and I can't "memorize" it . . . so I've never gotten more than a couple
inches. Gosh, it is beautiful. I now fully appreciate the memory
process of lace knitters.
Dianne

wrote:

Caryn wrote:

make sure you aren't picking up stitches from between
stitches (this is actually called Make 1, and is a method for doing increases),
make sure you are only transfering one loop across the needles with each
stitch.

What a lovely response to the original post.

This is the first time I've heard of "Make 1", and I'm intrigued! Can
you explain in written word, or is this something you must "see". I
think I understand (picking up that loop between 2 stitches as you
spread apart the needles), but further info would be welcomed by me.
I'd like to see how this works and in what instances you would use it.

Pretty much the same process as "yard over needle" to make 1. You'd
use it for any increase inside a piece of work, as opposed to the
ends.

I never increase at the ends, but prefer to increase 3-5 stitches in
from the end. This gives you a neat row on each side of the seam that
makes it easier to join. Take a look at some sweater sleeves. I'm
sure some of your own have used this. Look for a line on the seam
(roughly and inch wide) with the increases coming out from it.

You'd also use it a variety of "lace" patterns. Any pattern with
eyelet looking insets has been created using a form of increase and
decrease (K2tog, YON).

Tara

Old January 11th 04, 10:21 PM
Ann

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
Caryn wrote:
make sure you aren't picking up stitches from between
stitches (this is actually called Make 1, and is a method for doing

increases),
make sure you are only transfering one loop across the needles with each
stitch.

What a lovely response to the original post.

This is the first time I've heard of "Make 1", and I'm intrigued! Can
you explain in written word, or is this something you must "see". I
think I understand (picking up that loop between 2 stitches as you
spread apart the needles), but further info would be welcomed by me.
I'd like to see how this works and in what instances you would use it.

You use it where you want a relatively invisible increase.

Knit a stitch (it can be the 1st stitch on the row, or one near the middle,
depending on where you want the shaping to occur).

Now, with the left and right needles separated, identify the bar between the
stitch just knit (now on the right needle) and the next one to be knit
(still on the left needle). Inset the right needle tip UNDER that bar from
the front, and twist it into a cursive "e" shape, placing it on the left
needle. Ta dah!

Elizabeth Zimmermann used it a lot in her garter stitch creations, notably
the baby surprise jacket.

Ann

Old January 11th 04, 11:17 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!! Now I get it. So it IS picking up the yarn from a
previous row, not just making a yarn over. I printed your directions
out and will stick it in my knitting drawer. Thank you sooo much. I
will try that. In fact, idle as my hands will be this evening, I may
just make a swatch to see this in action. Always exciting to learn
something new. Tara was trying, but I just didn't understand. Isn't it
interesting how two people can say the same thing and it comes out
differently. Husband and I are practising better communications. It's
amazing how I will say something (or he will say something) and the
other of us just is dumbfounded.

Dianne

Old January 11th 04, 11:22 PM
Seanette Blaylock

Dianne Lewandowski had some very
interesting things to say about Beginner knitter ?:

Ok. Let me see if I got this straight:
Make 1 = Yarn Over.

Uh, not quite. :-) They're two different methods of doing increases.

very small gloat - from a beginner Des Bromilow Jewelry 1 March 20th 04 04:53 AM
looking for beginner patterns bill harrison Carving 0 January 24th 04 05:32 AM
allset - beginner stone setting ph Jewelry 1 January 19th 04 06:22 PM
Beginner Tool List Skip Summer Glass 3 October 29th 03 10:32 PM
AD- Kiln-formed Jewelry - Beginner - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Glass 0 September 24th 03 03:31 PM