I wonder?

Old October 11th 11, 01:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default I wonder?

Well, now. That paints quite a different picture. Cats do love fake fur
quilts to pieces and it sounds like the binding must be replaced. Think
about using flannel or corduroy for the backing. Either won't slip/slide so
much. Polly

"Jo Gibson"

My mum made all of us scrap quilts from... .fake fur scraps! Mine is the
most colouful but also the smallest because I didn't have my own bed at
that point. It has been very well loved, and all the cats love it too!
But the binding is in a state. It was teh 70s. My mum used some horrid
doubleknit fabric for the binding and it's in shreds. The same nylon,
slippery stuff was used on the back so it shimmies off the bed unless
weighted down with a cat or two. I am going to replace the backing and
binding with something cotton. So you see, bindings do need to be
replaced now and then!

-- Jo in Scotland

Old October 11th 11, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

My long departed cat once "sorted" the fake fur hood trim on my cousin's
brand new winter coat. Well, she should have hung it, not just tossed it
on the floor like visiting kids always did :-)

Thanks for reminding me!

Hanne in DK

Old October 11th 11, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AllisonH

Very good point Pat! I too have heard that double fold wears better but
I prefer to do single (I find it easier to do but that may be partly
because I learned single fold first). And I use bias only on bed quilts
not on wall hangings. Since edges won't wear out there is no need to use
extra fabric to make bias for the latter.

Also, for wall hangings I use the trick of adding a narrow (1/8") strip
of grosgrain ribbon along the seam line of the binding before sewing the
binding on. I can ease in any fullness so that the quilt will lie flat
against the wall.

Allison

On 10/10/2011 10:03 AM, Pat S wrote:
I have never before questioned those respected quilters who say that
they always do a double fold binding, because the edge always gets more
wear.
Well, I am giving a workshop next Saturday, on Borders and Bindings, and
I was just typing out my notes for it. I was giving detailed
instructions for one single-fold and one double fold binding. I never do
double fold bindings.
I was typing 'double-fold bindings are often used because the edge
receives most wear, but there are two layers' when I thought: if a
double-fold binding receives wear for the second layer to become
necessary, then it will definitely look scruffy and worn. In which case
I would want to take off the binding and replace it - as one would do
with a single-fold binding.
So, what is the point (for me, as I find them bulky and awkward) in
using double fold?

Discuss gg I would seriously like to hear views on this.

Old October 12th 11, 03:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Roberta, that is what I do, also. And, I do not do that trim until
after the binding is first sewn down by machine. That way, there is
that extra to help me hang on to it! [If the backing/batting is a lot
bigger that the top, I will do a semi-trim before the binding has its
first stitching]

Ginger in CA

On Oct 11, 5:34*am, Roberta Roberta@Home wrote:
Without reading the other replies, I like it because there's no
fiddling with a loose edge when it comes to sewing the 2nd bit down.
The binding remains perfectly even with both raw edges secured in the
1st seam. I also think the extra layer of fabric provides a smoother
finish, especially on quilts where there are lots of seams going all
the way out to the edge. I like to trim the backing/batting an extra
quarter inch beyond the edge of the top to make a nice plump bound
edge, and the double layer just makes it all smoother.
Roberta in D

Old October 12th 11, 07:03 AM
munni083 munni083 is offline
Junior Member

I have to take the side of natural causes for global warming in a debate at school. Finding things is rather difficult.