black fabric?

Old October 4th 11, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janner

Default black fabric?

Any recommendations for black fabric to use as background for a change?
I usually piece with calico in ecru but thought that I might
experiment with black, so any do's or don'ts?

Janner
France
Old October 4th 11, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Just be aware that it is going to pick up the slightest fibre in the air
- it doesn't even have to touch the fabric, but it will stick. If you
do use batting that beards, it will show that, too. I have tended
towards tone on tone 'blacks' for a while now, because I can never seem
to get it 'clean'.
It looks wonderful, though g especially with bright colours.
..
In message , Janner
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old October 4th 11, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I like RJR Confetti - a black with lots of tiny dots of many colors. It
keeps a quilt from saying "this is a very serious occasion". Of course, you
might not want that - I just use it for black sheep, dump truck tires and
such. Another black I keep on hand is from Moda. It ravels really well if
you have a need to do a hairy raw-edge appliqué; especially good on bumble
bees. Polly

"Pat S" wrote in message
Just be aware that it is going to pick up the slightest fibre in the air -
it doesn't even have to touch the fabric, but it will stick. If you do
use batting that beards, it will show that, too. I have tended towards
tone on tone 'blacks' for a while now, because I can never seem to get it
'clean'.
It looks wonderful, though g especially with bright colours.
.
In message , Janner
writes

Old October 5th 11, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

"Janner" wrote in message
Any recommendations for black fabric to use as background for a change? I
usually piece with calico in ecru but thought that I might experiment with
black, so any do's or don'ts?

Janner
France

I love black - I buy Kona black by the bolt and I'm on my second 20 yard
bolt in the last few years. I agree that it does pick up lint and threads.
Also it can be a beast to see what you are doing, if you are old like me.
Also it can be false economy to buy cheap black. Before I bought the Kona,
I bought a bolt of black was a buck a yard or so cheaper. Black dye in
general is apparently very harsh. To my dismay, that fabric was dyed with
something that deteriorated the fabric badly. I washed a quilt made with
some of it, and it the black fabric fell apart in multiple places. I
checked the fabric I had left and found I could rip it to shreds with very
little effort. So out it went. Sadly; one of my favorite wall quilts, done
in a lot of African fabrics, also used a lot of that black, and I dust it
very gingerly. I suppose when I finally have to wash it, I will do so very,
very carefully by hand and hope for the best.

Some people recommend Amish black fabric, which is for sale here and there
on line. I've never used it myself. I do like tone on tone and patterned
blacks too. Someday I have to get me some of that confetti black Polly
loves. I am sure I would love that too!

Iris (however, due to overindulgence, I am still on "no-buy" for a while -
using up all the great fabric I forgot I have!)

Old October 5th 11, 01:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Oh Iris. Oh my! OHHHhhhh. Your story scares me. If I ever get serious and
need black, I'll go stalk Kona and pay whatever they ask. Polly

"IEZ" wrote in message
news

Old October 5th 11, 10:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

I agree with Iris -love Kona! And another warning about cheap black.
Lots of cheap ones (and maybe even a few not-so-cheap) are overdyed
and only look black for a while. A few weeks of exposure to light and
they turn brown.
Roberta in D, sadly experienced (I used somebody else's scraps)

Black fabric Steph Quilting 14 October 22nd 10 03:16 AM
Black fabric Donna in Idaho[_2_] Quilting 8 October 7th 07 01:13 AM
Looking for Red & Black Wool Check Fabric Mtsny0 Sewing 5 November 9th 04 11:16 PM
looking for checkered fabric (black and white) Becky Quilting 8 April 25th 04 05:41 PM
Blackest solid Black Fabric Review Kathy Quilting 3 November 3rd 03 05:44 PM