OT The date is set

Old September 28th 11, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT The date is set

I had my first appointment up at Roswell today.
I find I have scored one of the top doctors in the gynecology department
there. Of course that means I am a study for residents and interns, I
count myself lucky that he only brought in two to poke at me today.

Surgery is a week from tomorrow. It is a relief to me that they are
being quick about it because not only do I really want this bowling ball
out of my belly, but also I am quite certain that If I get another period
my primary care physician will stick me in the hospital to make sure I
don't bleed to death.

The mass is too big for laparoscopy, so I am looking at 3-5 days in the
hospital. They will start with a total hysterectomy, and then if they
don't like the initial pathology report finish as a radical. Then they
are going to stick me in ICU for at least 24 hours. Apparently they
expect some of my insides to be bruised, and they want to make sure there
are no problems when everything settles back to where it is supposed to
be.

I am not thrilled with some of my pre-surgery stuff, but you have to do
what you have to do.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 28th 11, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I've been waiting and hoping for news from you, NM. So happy that they're
going to get going and get you repaired and better than new. The residents
and interns are really no problem. I honestly wouldn't have been surprised
if the air conditioner repairman had barged in my room and said, "Let's take
a look at your incision".
Long ago, our DD made florist deliveries. She asked if there had ever
been any modesty on the ob/gyn floor. Nope. None of that. In the grand
scheme of things, I guess it really doesn't matter.
Being in icu would probably cause me to panic - but - they have really
lovely drugs in there. You won't care. Really.
The absolute worst of the plans is 3 - 5 days in the hospital. I hope
you have at least one good accomplice who will bring you a chocolate
milkshake and a double order of fries.
What's the difference in total and radical? Polly

Old September 28th 11, 04:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I'm so glad they're getting to it quickly. Waiting is the worst. I'm sorry for the pre-op stuff. I know it's stinky, but ... once this is all over, you'll never had to worry about a period again. As one who passed that milestone some years back, it's a blessing that can't be underestimated. I was 49 when everything stopped. Yay!

About your hospital stay ... ask for drugs. Tell them you feel anxious, they will bring you good things and you really won't care that platoons of med students, interns and residents will be trooping in and out of your room, going 'ooooh' and 'ahhhhhh' and such like. I spent a month in a hospital bed, lying on my left side, before my first son was born. I'd been basically in ICU for the first couple days because of what happened that landed me there (in a helicopter no less). Ask for anything you want or need. No embarrassment. No hesitation for fear of inconveniencing somebody. You are the patient, you need care, you are the one who is there to be cared for by everybody else. Yell your head off if you like. If you do, they will bring the good drugs without you having to ask. I know this for a fact.

Sweetie, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, will ask my spirit guide to come see you and give you a big ol' spirit hug. Seriously, just keep us posted. Ask your DH to give us a heads up when they know how you are. And come back soon.

Hugs,
Sunny
Old September 28th 11, 07:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Steven Cook

Of course I'll never know what you're going through, but wouldn't wish it on
anyone. But, Mom said just this summer that after her fibroid of 34 years
ago was gone, the world was so much better, and my teacher friend of three
years ago, of many small ones said she immediately felt better that very
first week. We can wish you all the same too.

So . . .
Drugs are good, just as Sunny and Polly said, and me too, when needed. Ask
and ye shall receive. Better SOONER than later.
Take a good book, just in case you feel like reading.
Take an iPod or other such device, just in case you feel like listening and
staring out the window.
Don't worry about going to sleep on anybody visiting. They shouldn't stay
that long anyways.

Look forward to the date as a new day where you'll feel so much better.
Sending hugs.

Steven
Alaska

Old September 28th 11, 10:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Di Maloney[_2_]

I too have spent days in ICU - as Sunny and Stephen said, ask for anything
you want to make it easier for you.

Good luck with the surgery - my prayers on the way.

Di

Old September 28th 11, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Good luck in all this. Getting a hysterectomy was the best thing I ever
did!
Barbara in FL, was in SC

Old September 28th 11, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I echo the others, to ask for drugs if you want them. I had a pain med
drip, powered through with only two hits from it. But the thing it it
was there when needed. Antoher thing that seemed to really help, was
to get up as soon as I could manage it. I was up and walking in less
than 24 hrs, and made laps in the hallway at all hours. "You should be
resting" "No, I am not tired, need to walk so I will get tired enough
to rest!" Surgery was on a Fri morning, released on Mon morning
because the insurance wouldn't pay for any more.

Ginger in CA

Old September 28th 11, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

In this case, total means they take all the lady parts, radical means
they take the associated lymph nodes and some other tissues as well.

I gather that in some hospitals hysterectomy refers to just the uterus,
and they use that longish oo word along with it if they are also going to
take the ovaries and tubes. Here hysterectomy is also counting the
ovaries and tubes.

I am kind of glad you asked because with terms defined I won't have to
try and spell that other term.

I am hopeful on the good drugs.
Since narcotics and acetaminophen make me throw up, pain is usually
something I just have to tell myself will be better tomorrow. DH is
telling me that they will probably just give me something to keep me from
throwing up. Hey I will take that!

NightMist

Old September 28th 11, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AllisonH

On 27/09/2011 8:11 PM, NightMist wrote:

[...]

Best wishes for successful surgery and a speedy recovery!!
Allison
Old September 29th 11, 12:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna[_7_]

Best wishes and warm thoughts headed your way! I'm glad they're
getting the surgery done soon, so you're not worrying for weeks before
it happens.

Donna in Idaho

need a date look here NightMist Quilting 0 May 28th 06 05:44 AM
Hello everyone - up date C&S Quilting 3 February 15th 06 05:02 AM
New set up= Sea Scapes 11 bead lentil set okieglasss Beads 0 January 18th 06 01:32 PM
B.O.M's up to date. Sally Swindells Quilting 2 October 8th 05 07:56 PM
u e date Christina in Ok Quilting 10 November 16th 03 01:15 PM