Little Quilt Pix

Old September 22nd 11, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

Default Little Quilt Pix

Here's a pix of a little quilt I have made today - a little gift to
take along on our US trip shortly.

I took the quilt out on to our deck to show my quilting buddy/
neighbour, and who should fly in for a close inspection but a
kookaburra! Couldn't have orchestrated it better. At least I think
the quilt is a fair rendition of the subject and he seemed to agree.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Hugs
Bronnie
Old September 22nd 11, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 22-09-2011 14:40, Bronnie skrev:
Here's a pix of a little quilt I have made today - a little gift to
take along on our US trip shortly.

I took the quilt out on to our deck to show my quilting buddy/
neighbour, and who should fly in for a close inspection but a
kookaburra! Couldn't have orchestrated it better. At least I think
the quilt is a fair rendition of the subject and he seemed to agree.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Hugs
Bronnie

That is just wonderful and perfect timing. He looks to be thinking "what
are you doing, buddy???".

Hanne in DK
Old September 22nd 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Sep 22, 8:40*am, Bronnie wrote:
Here's a pix of a little quilt I have made today - a little gift to
take along on our US trip shortly.

I took the quilt out on to our deck to show my quilting buddy/
neighbour, and who should fly in for a close inspection but a
kookaburra! *Couldn't have orchestrated it better. *At least I think
the quilt is a fair rendition of the subject and he seemed to agree.https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...FJQMQ?feat=dir...

Hugs
Bronnie

Perfect timing and lovely quilt!

Kim in NJ
Old September 22nd 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Unbelievable photo - with the real and the fabric!
They are both lovely, but the quilt is unique - great fabric choices:
we can actually compare what you used with the real bird. Amazing.
Another great piece of work.
..
In message
,
Bronnie writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old September 22nd 11, 06:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

How sweet! And you may come visit me any time :-)
Roberta in D

Old September 22nd 11, 06:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Bronnie, how do you get a wild bird to come so close to you? Do you feed it or is it accustomed to you?

Sunny
Old September 22nd 11, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bronnie[_2_]

On Sep 23, 3:40*am, Sunny wrote:
Bronnie, how do you get a wild bird to come so close to you? Do you feed it or is it accustomed to you?

Sunny

Thank you, all of you, for your kind comments! It was such a great
day - making a little quilt, beautiful sunshine, and asking the
neighbours in for a glass of champagne (just because we can ) and
a cheese plate at 5pm.
The scene therefore, was a large table, and five of us sitting around,
glass in hand, enjoying cheese, stuffed eggs and spicy whipped feta.
In flew Mr Kookaburra. We had just been admiring the quilt. I dashed
upstairs to get my camera telling everyone to keep Mr K on the rail.
I sidled close to him and there's the pix! Mr K then called in
reinforcements, and we had another two on the railings and a couple
more in the trees.
In answer to questions on how tame they are -- well, some folk feed
them (raw chopped ground meat), but really I don't approve, they have
a natural food source all year (insects, small snakes, skinks, little
wild rodents). These ones are definitely used to us, and they were
looking at the table and hoping to cadge something but there was no
meat around. One of them hopped onto the back of the chair and
Margaret got quite startled. They have a very strong beak but I've
not known them to attack a person. Once, DH and I were enjoying a
bbq roast pork dish out on the deck, and suddenly there were feathers
and bird going everywhere, the kooka had hopped from the rail to
*under* DH's arm as he was eating and grabbed a bit of meat off his
plate! Goodness, that did give us a fright.
The pieced block pattern is from a book titlted "Quilt a Koala" -
Australian Animals and Birds in Patchwork by Margaret Rolfe, published
2000. Rolfe is a well known Australian quilter/author. It has about
20 designs, all charming.
I used the block pattern and designed the setting and wording.
How I came to do this, is, I was just thinking last week I should make
a couple of little gifts to take to the US next week. DH goes out to
the doctor, calls into our library's second hand bookshop and comes
home with this! Exactly a pattern I was thinking of - how amazing is
that, that man is so intuitive. Me, I'm not so keen on applique, so
foundation piecing was perfect.
I'll make one more, either the koala or the bird called a 'galah'
which is pink and grey.

Oh, one more thing -- that fabric for the kooka's wings - I was
rootling around in my black and brown fabric drawer and out jumped a
8x10in scrap of that fabric with feathers. I tell you, that fabric
has been there for 15 years! I remember making something with it
years ago. Meant to be, as they say.

Sorry this reply is a bit long winded.

Hugs
Bronnie
Old September 23rd 11, 03:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

Thank you Bronnie for the tale! Wow, the only time I've encountered such bold birds was once in San Diego when the gulls stole my sons' hot dogs while Russ and I were paying the vendor. But a great story, and a great quilt and I can't wait to see what else you do with wildlife.

Sunny

Old September 23rd 11, 04:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Now that was an education. I only knew Kookaburra as a silly song the
little folks sang. Laugh, Kookaburra, laugh. Didn't know it was a bird.
How just simply gloriously wonderful that one stooped to pose with your
grand quilt. WoooooHooo. Polly

wrote:

Here's a pix of a little quilt I have made today - a little gift to
take along on our US trip shortly.

I took the quilt out on to our deck to show my quilting buddy/
neighbour, and who should fly in for a close inspection but a
kookaburra! Couldn't have orchestrated it better. At least I think
the quilt is a fair rendition of the subject and he seemed to agree.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Hugs
Bronnie

New quilt finished - pix Bronnie[_2_] Quilting 12 September 7th 10 09:30 PM
Quilt Pix - Friend's Wedding Quilt Bronnie Quilting 9 April 5th 06 10:35 AM
Quilt Pix SunnyQuilt Quilting 0 December 13th 04 11:04 PM
New quilt pix Listpig Quilting 10 October 31st 04 07:26 PM
Quilt Pix posted Celia Modell Quilting 4 April 18th 04 01:29 AM