Question for those in Germany/Europe

Old August 20th 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G. in CA[_3_]

Default Question for those in Germany/Europe

My niece is stationed in Germany and just bought a sewing machine so she
could learn to sew/quilt. She was asking me about online sources for fabric
(cheap, of course!). I know plenty of them in the states but not sure who
ships overseas or if there are any European fabric sources.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Laurie G. in CA

Old August 20th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson[_2_]

On 20/08/2010 21:11, Laurie G. in CA wrote:
any and just bought a sewing machine so she
could learn to sew/quilt. She was asking me about online sources for fabric
(cheap, of course!). I know plenty of them in the states but not sure who
ships overseas or if there are any European fabric sources.

All of the shops which you can locate using www.quiltshops.com will ship
overseas. Most can fit anywhere between 6 and 8 or 9 yards of fabric
into one global priority mailer which costs about $13.50 just now (ask
the shop how much they can fit into a mailer - some are better at
cramming it in than others!)

Just now my favourite shop is Fabric Shack: www.fabricshack.com They
are having a special sale, good until the end of September for 1/2 price
shipping, and that includes international shipping. So they will only
charge $6 for a global priority mailer. Their selection is good, and
ranges from $4 a yard fabric up to about $8 or so for the most
expensive. They have loads of good quality stuff in the $4 or $5 a yard
range - I suggest she make a big cup of tea and have a browse!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old August 21st 10, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

I've shopped The Fabric Shop in person! Huge store - lots and lots of
fabric. Ladies there have always been very friendly. It is located between
Columbus and Dayton, Ohio (generally speaking).

If you are in that neck of the woods -- definitely worth a shop. And if you
enjoy antiques -- lots of little shops in their very little town.

--
Kate in MI

Old August 21st 10, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

Since she's in the military, she gets her mail through the APO system, and
it's the same as mailing the package to New York, NY! I think most all
fabric stores would ship to her.

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old August 21st 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G. in CA[_3_]

Thanks ladies! I will pass the info on to her. It is most appreciated by me
and by my niece!

Laurie G. in CA

Old August 21st 10, 08:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Living in Spain, I order all my fabric online from various stores in
the US. All fabric available locally is imported from the US, the
selection is extremely limited and the prices are astronomical
compared to prices in the US. And I'm not military so I pay regular
mailing charges and still it's cheaper to have fabric shipped from the
US than buying it locally.

Hope she enjoys sewing!

Claudia
Old August 21st 10, 12:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Plenty of european sources, but with an APO address, why would she
need them?
Tell her to have a look at this: www.patchwork-europe.com
The big quilt show starting mid-September in Alsace! Maybe she can
take a few days off and drive over for some inspiration.
Roberta in D (Munich)

Old August 21st 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne[_2_]

On Aug 20, 9:11*pm, "Laurie G. in CA" wrote:
My niece is stationed in Germany and just bought a sewing machine so she
could learn to sew/quilt. She was asking me about online sources for fabric
(cheap, of course!). I know plenty of them in the states but not sure who
ships overseas or if there are any European fabric sources.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Laurie G. in CA

Laurie,

I was going to say: be aware of import duties and fees. It is a pain
to have to add another 15-25% + a $10-20 fee to get your package :-
( However, if stationed means she has an APO (or similar) address,
this is no issue. Nor is postage.

Hanne in DK
Old August 22nd 10, 02:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G. in CA[_3_]

I will let her know of these additional options. I told her about
www.fabric.com and I think she already has warmed up her credit card! She
wanted to know how I didn't want to just buy everything. LOL! She's
learning..... :-)

Laurie G. in CA

Old August 22nd 10, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I've told this story before but I do enjoy the tellin' of it. Let me do it
one more time. Back when I was first learning to buy fabric online,
www.fabric.com was just beginning too. They shipped in 'overrun' boxes or
whatever they could get their hands on.
One day I mentioned to DH that my fabric.com package was way overdue.
DH said, 'Did I tell you that a box of sausage came in and it said freeze
immediately? I put it in the freezer.'
There it was. My lovely quilting fabric from fabric.com was boxed in a
Jimmy Dean Sausage box and very carefully placed in the deep freezer.
We have come a long way.
I know where to look for missing mail. Polly

Pics of Germany KimW Quilting 7 October 2nd 09 02:53 PM
Oktoberfest in Germany - NOT OT KimW Quilting 20 August 22nd 09 02:04 PM
lnsses in Germany Amber Needlework 6 July 3rd 06 05:06 AM
Fabric in Europe Question [email protected] Needlework 7 March 6th 05 03:58 PM
OT - Anyone in Germany? TerriLee in WA Quilting 12 August 22nd 03 12:20 AM