How long did that take?

Old August 17th 10, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default How long did that take?

Tonight's profoundidity. I was wandering through an old QNM and sort of
read an article entitled 'How long did that take?', a question that pops up
often along our quilting journey. The writer decided that every quilt we
create has the benefit of every quilt beforehand.
"Yes," I thought, "that is so true."
There might be one or two along the way where we learn nothing, but
usually we improve a skill or make a mistake and bring that along with us to
the next endeavor.
Might even carry it with us over to dressmaking or arranging a bouquet.
So. I was just looking at the latest crib quilt here. The points are
every one absolutely perfect. The colors: pure white, dark blue and tomato
red - dazzling. I used gray thread when I joined the white pieces. It
shows. Everytime I made that mistake, it shows. Baby won't care but I
won't ever do that again.
The next quilt won't take as long as this one did. Polly

Old August 17th 10, 10:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

That is so profound I can't hardly stand it!
Lots of times when a quilt is finished, I heave a sigh of relief and
think I won't ever have to make another one like that. Then find
myself years later, going through the binder of saved designs,
thinking I vaguely remember doing that one and wouldn't it be
interesting to try it ......in batiks! in monochrome! with applique
vines! in mini blocks alternating with pinwheels!
We are truly insane. But you're right, the next one takes a bit less
time.
Roberta in D

Old August 17th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

Polly,

Just curious - do you ever choose color schemes based on the
psychology of color vs. the age of the infant, and if so, do you do
something different on the back for a younger/older age to make the
quilt sort of reversible depending on the baby's age?

Doc

Old August 17th 10, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Yes. Age or mood. The last time I was walking a squalling baby, (the
youngest great-grandbaby) he hushed when he spied a bowl of red berries. He
studied it for a very long time. Sometimes I feel the need to quilt pastels
but if so, the backing is always something interesting for a little fellow
learning to focus those beautiful eyes. Polly

Old August 17th 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

You know, I mostly make baby quilts for the parents. Few of mine are
for newborns. Most are for slightly older tots. But regardless, I make
the quilt to give Mom and Dad a smile and a gorgeous background for
baby photos. Yeah, I know, it's silly. But that's just how I do it. At
least for the people I know, and thus know for sure that baby will
have plenty of stimulation and lots of cheap blankets to leak on and
that the quilt I make will become a cherished piece that will start
sleeping with baby when s/he is old enough not to be in danger from
bed clothing. When I make quilts to donate, different story. Lots of
bright red, like Polly said. But not all over. Just in places where
little eyes can see it, follow a little red line, or focus here and
here and here again. Bright colors against other bright solids. Lots
of contrasts. Basic shapes. And soft/warm. I want those to be used to
comfort little ones and give them everything I can give.

Polly, I think nobody on earth but you will see that gray thread. And
yes, every quilt takes years to get where it is. I like that way of
thinking. Of course, when I'm learning a new technique or pushing out
into new territory, some part of the clock gets set back to Zero
O'clock. That's the wonderful part about quilts. Always something new
to learn.

Sunny
Old August 20th 10, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Idahoqltr

On Aug 16, 9:19*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
[...]

I once read a good response for the "how long" question is "no one
asks how long did it take to catch that fish".