SO STUPID!!

Old May 14th 04, 05:36 PM
marisa2

Shirley,

Wow.

I don't understand how people used to do these things (and still do in
some parts of the world). Or why on earth they developed styles with
extra steps like ironing while everything was so hard to begin with!

marisa2

On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:17:18 +0100, Shirley Shone
wrote:

When I first got married and joined DH in Malta I had to iron his Navy
uniform shirts.
When I was about to start the ironing he came in and said I will show
you how to iron my shirts. He said remember this.

First the sleeves,
Then the chest,
Leave the front,
And bugger the rest.

Washing and ironing in Malta was a real chore. First of all no washing
machines, no running hot water apart from the gas geyser over the bath.
That had to be operated with the window wide open because of fumes.

I used to wash bent over the bath mostly with cold water. Everything had
to be rung by hand. Washing sheets was a nightmare. drying was not so
bad if the weather was fine , when it used to be hung on the line on the
flat roof. Apart from when we got sandstorms from the Sahara desert.
Then the babies nappies got filled with sand and it took ages to shake
it all out.

I used to have to boil the nappies in a small bath on top of the
paraffin primus stove

In wet times it was hung about the flat dripping. There was no heating
or fires in the flat apart from the paraffin heater that we had to buy.

I was really happy when I found a laundry to do his uniforms and the
bedding. managing the rest was not so bad.

Cooking was not any easier. I have the primus stove and a double gas
ring run on bottled gas. My oven was like a tin box with a door that I
had to lift and put on top of the gas rings.

Married life got easier when we got back to England. LOL
Shirley

In message . net,
Linda2 writes
If it needs to be ironed or dry cleaned, it stays in the store.

I have found that removing things from the washer and hanging them on a
hanger to dry with a good shake usually cuts down on the need for ironing.

Linda2

Teva Yafae Original Designs
inspired by nature

For unique jewelry or apparel, or to learn about having your
own Jewelry home-party or children's party, please visit:

http://www.tevayafae.com

Old May 14th 04, 06:29 PM
Christina Peterson

If it needs to be dry cleaned I usually find out when I take it out of the
washing machine and dryer. lol.

Tina

ink.net...

Old May 14th 04, 06:33 PM
Christina Peterson

Sounds a lot like current laundry conditions in Ukraine. When Roger and
Nelya left, they gave her mother a washing machine. I never met anyone else
there who owned one, even a wringer, except a woman who had a laundry
service.

Tina

--
Shirley Shone

Old May 14th 04, 06:39 PM
Shirley Shone

Makes you wonder how my marriage as lasted nearly 50 years, doesn't it.

Marriage could only get better after that start.

I might tell you after all that bending over the bath I had a 24 inch
waist and being a breast feeding mamma a 42 inch bust. Talk about top
heavy. LOL
Shirley

In message , Dr. Sooz
writes
Good god almighty, Shirley!!!

[...]

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Shirley Shone
Old May 14th 04, 06:48 PM
Shirley Shone

I was tough in those days.
I had one hundred steps to go up to get to the outer doors of my flat.
Then another 3 flights of stairs to the flat. I either had to walk
backwards pulling the pram up step by step, or bodily pick it up
complete with baby and carry it up.

One day I was carrying it up with an audience of two English sailors.
One of them said," Cor look at the muscles". I put the pram down and
turned to them and said," If you can call yourselves English and
gentlemen, you would have carried this up for me". They had the grace to
blush and if they were around after that the pram got carried up by
them.
Shirley

In message , Kathy
N-V writes
On Fri, 14 May 2004 12:24:56 -0400, Kalera Stratton wrote
(in message ):

Oh MAN, Shirley! What an adventure! (Code word for "my worst nightmare!)

What she said. My family members would have been wearing clothes until they
rotted off before I'd voluntarily do all that. Holy guacamole!

Kathy N-V

--
Shirley Shone
Old May 14th 04, 06:50 PM
Shirley Shone

It lasted for two and half years.
Shirley

In message , Kalera Stratton
writes
Oh MAN, Shirley! What an adventure! (Code word for "my worst nightmare!)

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Shirley Shone wrote:
[...]
k.net, Linda2

Old May 14th 04, 07:31 PM
Kalera Stratton

VA-VOOM! Maybe I should start washing clothes in the bathtub?

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Shirley Shone wrote:
[...]

"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your
jewelry." John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old May 14th 04, 07:32 PM
Kalera Stratton

Every time I learn more about you I become more amazed and impressed by
your strength and talent. WOW.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old May 18th 04, 06:42 PM
Diana Curtis

LOL
I look at the labels.. if it says dry clean only I toss it in the wash. If
it survives that I put it in the dryer. Im not wearing anything that needs
to be thrown into pools of wierd chemicals to clean it.
Diana

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
If it needs to be dry cleaned I usually find out when I take it out of the
washing machine and dryer. lol.

Tina

"Linda2" wrote in message
ink.net...
If it needs to be ironed or dry cleaned, it stays in the store.

I have found that removing things from the washer and hanging them on a
hanger to dry with a good shake usually cuts down on the need for

ironing.

Linda2

Stupid noobie question JL Amerson Beads 9 December 28th 03 02:10 AM
GRR! Stupid broken Bali! Kyla Beads 5 December 12th 03 04:44 AM
OT rant -- Stupid Ex hurt Mercury! Dr. Sooz Beads 95 August 24th 03 06:31 AM
Surgery scheduled. was-- OT rant -- Stupid Ex hurt Mercury! Dr. Sooz Beads 2 August 22nd 03 06:22 PM