PIQF report

Old October 18th 05, 12:13 AM
lisae

Default PIQF report

I went to the show on Sunday. Overall, the show was a bit overwhelming.
The larger size mades it hard to view in a day. A lot of the quilts
are blurred together in my head. And as always, I walked away unsure
of what is a traditional quilt versus what is a innovative quilt. I
saw a lot of innovative quilt that looked pretty traditional to me and
a lot of traditional quilts that looked innovative to me. I guess I'll
have to read their critera for entering quilts next year.

My favorite quilt was the one where the maker had set together several
old (turn of the century) blocks/portion of quilt with a cross and
machined quilted it. Wonderful! A lot of the other quilts I liked
were ones that I looked and thought, oh I'd make one like that... the
strippy quilt made from vintage material, another subtly strippy quilt
made with mostly materials with white grounds...very springy in feel, a
double four patch in autumn colors...

I didn't buy a lot of fabric, but did get some African fat quarters.

lisae

Old October 18th 05, 12:49 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"lisae" wrote in message
oups.com...

And as always, I walked away unsure
of what is a traditional quilt versus what is a innovative quilt. I
saw a lot of innovative quilt that looked pretty traditional to me and
a lot of traditional quilts that looked innovative to me. I guess I'll
have to read their critera for entering quilts next year.

If you figure it out, let me know! I'm never sure what category to enter.
The only guideline on the entry form is " Traditional and Innovative refer
to design, not to construction techniques. Innovative entries should
emphasize innovation in design. "

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 18th 05, 01:44 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"lisae" wrote in message
oups.com...
Maybe the problem is that innovative in design is a a moving target.
Someone starts playing with an idea; a quilt gets made and is shown,
then the original quilt gets copied, and new quilts are made, copies
are made of the copies. The idea is not so innovative any more.

My thoughts exactly.

What do you consider innovative in design?

So far, my standard has been "what would the ladies who sit in the front row
at guild think?" If I imagine them applauding and saying "how lovely!", it's
traditional. If I imagine them shaking their heads or saying "um....", it's
innovative. *grin*

Old October 18th 05, 08:37 AM
Patti

This question made me smile, as I'm probably so far behind the times
that my innovative is now perfectly main stream (if not strictly
traditional!).
For me: anything which is embellished or painted; un-joined pieces; raw
edges; burned; non-fabric; odd overall shapes; uses photos transferred
onto fabric. (That's all I can think of for the moment). Some of these
I like, most I don't. Funnily enough, my quilts are not all
traditional, but they do have a grounding in tradition.
For me a very difficult concept to get hold of is the difference between
'innovative' and 'contemporary'?
..
In message .com,
lisae writes
Oh well, if you don't get it, I certainly have no chance...

Maybe the problem is that innovative in design is a a moving target.
Someone starts playing with an idea; a quilt gets made and is shown,
then the original quilt gets copied, and new quilts are made, copies
are made of the copies. The idea is not so innovative any more.

What do you consider innovative in design?

lisae

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 18th 05, 08:38 AM
Patti

Terrific answer g

In message , Kathy
Applebaum writes
My thoughts exactly.

PIQF quilts Kathy Applebaum Quilting 3 September 21st 05 09:42 PM
OT sad... got the coroner's report for my brother Marijke Quilting 24 August 25th 05 10:01 AM
who do I report abuse to SNIGDIBBLY Quilting 20 April 25th 05 02:33 PM
PIQF report Irrational Number Quilting 3 October 18th 04 06:23 PM
Quilt Shop Hop Report Jacquard_The_Ripper Quilting 7 July 30th 03 05:09 PM