Beginner knitter ?

Old January 12th 04, 12:45 AM
Ann

Tara D had some very interesting things to say about
Beginner knitter ?:

No it's not. Your Yarn Over is created using the thread between the
stitches. Same deal if simply pick up that thread as a stitch. Same
thread, same placement, same result. One is a conscious choice while
stitching the row, the other is normally an unconscious mistake.

YO (yarn over) is refered to as "yarn forward" in some (mostly European)
texts.

There's another "open" increase that involves that bar between stitches. If
you just pick it up (without twisting as I described in another post), you
get an eyelet.

Ann

Old January 12th 04, 01:56 AM
Caryn

This is the first time I've heard of "Make 1", and I'm intrigued! Can
you explain in written word, or is this something you must "see". I
think I understand (picking up that loop between 2 stitches as you
spread apart the needles), but further info would be welcomed by me.

I'll try my best to explain.

You have the basic idea. After finishing a knit stitch you dip the left needle
under the thread that tops the space between the stitches on the needles, then
you knit that thread off the left needle to create a new stitch.

I just made a daughter a hat which used Make 1, so it is fresh in my mind.

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old January 12th 04, 01:59 AM
Caryn

Ok. Let me see if I got this straight:
Make 1 = Yarn Over.

No, they are two separate things.

Yes, both will increase the number of stitches, but YO gives a hole, and is
most often used in lace, Make 1 (M1) gives a new stitch, without a hole.

HTH,

Old January 12th 04, 02:51 AM
emerald

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
Another method , calls for knit 1 into stich as usual, NOT pulling it
off the left needle, taking your thread to the front and making a purl
stich into same stich , now pull `old` stich off the needle , the
little - line of the purl would almost be invisible. but you also
won`t see the hole you will see in the former method

I was taught to call this "knitting into the front and the back of the
stitch" and it's how I used to do most of my increasing unless I
specifically wanted the lace effect.

Also, if you pick up the thread between the stitches and knit into the back
of it, it twists a bit, so the holes are less noticeable. I'm the one who
doesn't like lace or crochet so this works for me!

emerald

Old January 12th 04, 06:18 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you Emerald for this new to me terminology , i was taught to
knit in several languages , but here i did my best to explain the
various methods .and hope it was clear enough. When making the Bar
increase i don`t like to `twist` it as it stresses the thread.
mirjam

I was taught to call this "knitting into the front and the back of the
stitch" and it's how I used to do most of my increasing unless I
specifically wanted the lace effect.

Also, if you pick up the thread between the stitches and knit into the back
of it, it twists a bit, so the holes are less noticeable. I'm the one who
doesn't like lace or crochet so this works for me!

emerald

very small gloat - from a beginner Des Bromilow Jewelry 1 March 20th 04 05:53 AM
looking for beginner patterns bill harrison Carving 0 January 24th 04 06:32 AM
allset - beginner stone setting ph Jewelry 1 January 19th 04 07:22 PM
Beginner Tool List Skip Summer Glass 3 October 29th 03 11:32 PM
AD- Kiln-formed Jewelry - Beginner - Craft Students League NYC Craft Students League Glass 0 September 24th 03 03:31 PM