stones set in silver

Old August 19th 03, 02:51 PM
m4816k

Default stones set in silver

Many friends told me that they've bought some silver pendants and rings with
stones, but that stones fell out of the settings not long after the pieces
have been bought. Is that result of bad workmanship or is just silver too
light and/or fragile to hold stones securly in place for a long time? Thank
you!

Old August 20th 03, 02:24 AM
Dave Arens

Hi,

Many friends told me that they've bought some silver pendants and rings with stones, but that stones fell out of the settings not long after the pieces have been bought. Is that result of bad workmanship or is just silver too light and/or fragile to hold stones securly in place for a long time?

You didn't say how the stones were set, bezel, prong, gypsy or wire wrap.

However, it really doesn't matter cause I'd attribute the failure to poor
workmanship. It doesn't sound like the setter knew what he was doing. I've seen
stones set in silver by all the methods listed that have been worn for years &
are
still in the original settings.

Dave
Old August 20th 03, 02:24 AM
KG

"m4816k" wrote in message
Many friends told me that they've bought some silver pendants and rings

with
stones, but that stones fell out of the settings not long after the pieces
have been bought. Is that result of bad workmanship or is just silver too
light and/or fragile to hold stones securly in place for a long time?

Thank
you!

The answer could be.... BOTH!

Silver is a soft metal and isn't ideal for things like prong settings where
the setting will take much wear and tear -- might be ok for a pendant, for
example, but not for a ring or bracelet. It also depends on the design of
the pendant and weight of the stone -- when I do use silver for prong
settings, I try whenever possible to use 6 prongs rather than 4, so that
there is that margin for safety if a prong gets bent during wear.

But for bezel-set stones, silver is just fine -- durable and lovely.

Having said that, there is also a lot of bad workmanship out there in
"cheap" silver jewelry -- stones glued into place rather than having a
properly fitted bezel, shoddy materials, etc.

KG

Old August 20th 03, 06:19 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:51:15 GMT, "m4816k"
wrote:

Many friends told me that they've bought some silver pendants and rings with
stones, but that stones fell out of the settings not long after the pieces
have been bought. Is that result of bad workmanship or is just silver too
light and/or fragile to hold stones securly in place for a long time? Thank
you!

That frequently means the stones were just glued in, not secured with
prongs or bezels.

--
Marilee J. Layman
Handmade Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale
Old August 20th 03, 06:19 AM
Dale Porter

"KG" wrote
Having said that, there is also a lot of bad workmanship out there in
"cheap" silver jewelry -- stones glued into place rather than having a
properly fitted bezel, shoddy materials, etc.

And then there's jewellery set with marcasites. Usually set in a pave style,
but due to the fact they're extremely brittle little things, any metal
they're set into is nudged up to themand therefore is just barely holding
them. As a result they tend to fall out. Especially the ones that are not
perfectly round when they rotate to a smaller diameter where the claws are.

Dale Porter

AD: Silver Plum -yum! Susan B. Beads 3 November 8th 04 05:46 PM
AD ~ Thai Silver on sale! 25% off!! Mj Beads 4 March 31st 04 08:48 PM
Bali Silver -- What's the Deal? saucy Beads 16 August 21st 03 03:21 PM
Orange and silver lampwork??? Kalera Stratton Beads 17 August 1st 03 08:10 AM
silver color combination m4816k Jewelry 3 July 27th 03 05:57 PM