OT - Recipes which use olive oil or balsamic vinegar?

Old December 26th 04, 09:35 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Yum. I copied that into my recipe folder.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Lisa Caryl" wrote in message
Hi Johanna,
Here is a link to my favorite chicken recipe that uses both ingredients. I
double the sauce though.
http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/Chc...icVngrGrlc.asp
--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

"Johanna Gibson" wrote in message
Hello folks,
I received olive oil for Christmas - went to the cupboard and I
already have 3 bottles of it! Plus 2 bottles of balsamic vinegar.
Clearly I'm not using it as fast as I am receiving it.
Do any of you have great recipes for using these ingredients? I
would like to try them out.
Thanks,

-- Jo in Scotland

Old December 26th 04, 09:51 PM
NBennett

My daughter loves this one-
Put whole portobello mushrooms in a baking dish, smooth side down. Sprinkle
liberally with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, with some on the bottom of
the dish. Bake in oven around 350F for 20 - 30 minutes, till they are soft.
She eats them as a whole meal. I've heard other people say they use it in
place of meat in a meal. You can also use
the same ingredients and grill on a BBQ, basting with the oil and vinegar. A
friend of mine swears this has the texture and flavour of steak. We're
vegetarian, so don't know, don't care. I think the whole thing cries out for
a blast of garlic, but they tell me it doesn't need it.
PLUS I hate mushrooms, so this is not something I've ever eaten.
Nancy - Toronto

Old December 27th 04, 12:13 AM
Frosty772

If you like pork chops....

Pour some olive oil in a frying pan. sprinkle the pork chops with lemon pepper
on both sides. Fry them about 4 mintues per side. Remove the chops from the
pan. Pour 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar and 1/2 cup chicken broth in the pan.
Let it reduce just a bit and pour on top of the chops. This is a very good
dish and my DH perfers his chops made this way.

Tammy
Old December 27th 04, 02:13 AM
Carolyn McCarty

I use olive oil a lot, anywhere you would use butter or some other fat for
frying. Balsamic vinegar is wonderful for salad dressings. And if you are
into grilling food outdoors, one of the best marinades in the world is
simply balsamic vinegar and olive oil, add other herbs and spices if you
want but they are not needed.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo
take out nospam to reply

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old December 27th 04, 02:16 AM
Carolyn McCarty

Yes. My dad used to slice onions and marinate the slices in cider vinegar,
then when he got home from work he would make a simple sandwich with bread
and butter and those vinegar-soaked onions. Quite yummy, really! And very
good with a relaxing after-work beer.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo
take out nospam to reply

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

"MB" wrote in message
I remember a German friend of mine letting chopped onion set a spell
in vinegar to 'soften' the sharp taste before adding them to
any potato salads....Mary

"Johanna Gibson" wrote in message
My favorite is to cut fresh tomatoes. Marinade in olive oil and
basalmic
vinegar. Top with fresh mozzarella and chopped fresh basil and serve

with
toasted, sliced baguette.

Another way I use them is to dice up cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, and red

onions
in a sealable bowl or bag. Whisk together olive oil and balsamic

vinegar, and
pour it onto the cukes and red onions. Put in the refrigerator for
about

an
hour or two, shaking periodically to make sure the marinade in reaching

all the
veggies. Pour into a bowl, and toss with greek olives and feta cheese.

Yummy!

Sheila

Okay, I have most of this on hand so I made it about an hour ago -
chopped up cucumber, tomatoes, onion and mixed in olive oil, balsamic
vinegar and crushed garlic. It is fantastic!
My throat is beginning to hurt so I tried the remedy I learnt in
Russia: slice half an onion, and pour freshly squeezed lemon over it.
When it has sat for about 5 minutes, the onion will be sweet and
lovely to eat.
This is the first winter I have not had a single cold. I have eaten
an orange every day, and have eaten the lemon-marinated onion each
time my throat began to feel that I may get a sore throat. I highly
recommend it!

-- Jo in Scotland

Old December 27th 04, 02:21 AM
Carolyn McCarty

This sounds very tasty! Think I will try it tomorrow night. Sounds like a
nice change from an ordinary fried chop.

Old December 27th 04, 03:12 AM
Kathy

Try really ripe, sliced red tomatoes, alternated with slices of FRESH
mozzarella cheese (overlap them). Sprinkle with FRESH basil leaves. Drizzle
with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. To DIE for....

Kathy

http://community.webshots.com/user/katquilts53

Repeat after me......."Spray Starch is my Friend!"
Old December 27th 04, 03:51 AM

use it to fry,saute everything.
use it on all salad greens.
use it w/balsamic to marinade all meat-chicken/beef/etc.

Old December 27th 04, 08:14 AM
Mel Rimmer

"Johanna Gibson" wrote in message
Hello folks,
I received olive oil for Christmas - went to the cupboard and I
already have 3 bottles of it! Plus 2 bottles of balsamic vinegar.
Clearly I'm not using it as fast as I am receiving it.
Do any of you have great recipes for using these ingredients? I
would like to try them out.

You can make soap out of olive oil, but soapers tend to use the lowest grade
(pomace) not only because it's cheaper, but also because it actually makes
better soap than extra virgin. Olive oil soap is called Castile Soap. If you
would actually like to make Castile Soap email me fora recipe.

You can also make a fabulous body scrub very easily . Add a few drops of
your favourite essential oil into a cup of olive oil. Then stir in a cup of
salt or sugar - when I make it asa gift I use rock salt granules because it
seems posher but when I make it for myself I use table salt or regular
sugar, it doesn't actually make any difference. Pop it into a nice container
(I often use Kilner jars for gifts) and label it. You rub handfuls of it
into your body whilst standing in the bath or shower and scrub yourself all
over, then rinse it off. The scrubbiness leaves your skin very smooth, the
oil leaves a fine moisturising layer all over you, and the essential oils
give you a lovely scent.

Old December 27th 04, 08:49 AM
Pauline O'Connell

My husband is a wood turner & he works a lot with olive wood. When he is
turning the wood - because it is "green wood", the garage smells like olive
oil. He said his hands have never been softer, because the oil from the
wood is moisturizing his hands. His hands are smoother than mine are!!

Pauline

Best Cone 10 Glaze Recipes sam Pottery 4 December 22nd 04 10:58 PM
true confessions about recipes Karen C - California Needlework 1 December 12th 03 04:14 AM
Cone 10 Glaze Recipes for Reduction Celeste Pottery 3 July 14th 03 08:18 PM