ANYONE can enter Mich. Fair

Old May 16th 04, 12:30 PM
Joy Hardie

Default ANYONE can enter Mich. Fair

I guess some other State Fairs are run differently, but here in
Michigan you don't need to win at a local or county level to earn your
way to the State Fair.....you just enter the State Fair. And, if you
don't live near the Detroit area......you simply box and mail your
entry in!
It really is that simple. And there are so many categories that there
is something for everyones interest and lot's of opportunity to not
only show off your talents but possibly win ribbons and money!

Now you all know I only speak from experience and I know I sound like
I am on a soapbox......but even when I don't win.....the fair is just
plain good old fashioned fun!

Now, if you DO happen to win a "Best of Show" ribbon at the County
level then you CAN enter that item at the Michigan State Fair for FREE
under the "Gold Ribbon Program". I just wanted to clarify that the
"average" entry does NOT come to the fair under this way,

It might be nice if some people from some other states post
information about their fairs....ie. entry deadlines and how to get
the premium books etc. Before 4 years ago I never even knew that a
sewing competition at the fair existed much less any of the other
community arts. I guess I thought it was all canned goods and
animals.
Joy
Old May 17th 04, 03:31 AM
Darla

On Sun, 16 May 2004 11:30:56 GMT, Joy Hardie
wrote:

I guess some other State Fairs are run differently, but here in
Michigan you don't need to win at a local or county level to earn your
way to the State Fair.....you just enter the State Fair. And, if you
don't live near the Detroit area......you simply box and mail your
entry in!

Last summer I won the top XS prize in the Orange County (California)
Fair. However, the awards system at the OC Fair is such that the
piece was not eligible for the State Fair. The same piece went on to
take the top XS prize at the Los Angeles (California) County Fair,
which win *did* render it eligible for entry at the State Fair this
year. Unfortunately, I have heard--from reliable sources--ugly things
about stuff disappearing from the State Fair. "Spirit Woman" is
staying safely on my wall. Best wishes to all who enter their fairs
this year.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old May 17th 04, 07:15 AM
Suzanne

wrote:

[...]

Congratulations, Darla. Was Spirit Woman your own design or from som
needlework company? I'm asking because I've been wondering how
different places do contests, whether designs have to be your own or
can be someone else's. I just got information on the National Counted
Cross Stitch Show at Rockome Gardens. I don't have anything to enter
this year but I wanted to know what they were looking for. I'm still
not sure if designs have to be your own or can be someone else's,
though I tend to think it's the latter. Since I know different events
have different rules, I'm curious in all of them.
--
Suze
Cat hair? That's just an embellishment.

Old May 17th 04, 01:03 PM
Joy Hardie

Congratulations, Darla. Was Spirit Woman your own design or from som
needlework company? I'm asking because I've been wondering how
different places do contests, whether designs have to be your own or
can be someone else's. cut

Yes, Congratulations Darla. And, to put any fears to rest I want to
add that here at the Michigan State Fair, Alice and her staff take
excellent care of the needlework projects and hire top notch
Nationally acclaimed Needlwork Judges to be sure that each well placed
stitch gets its fair notice! My daughter and I had the pleasure 2
years ago of assisting the judges by bringing the entries to them (and
keeping our ears perked). Boy did we learn alot! The judges really
DO have a written criteria and can justify each end every point and
winning they issue. It was amazing!

The answer to your main question - does it need to be original? NO.
Although there is a class for original design, most projects can be
printed or graphed.

To access the 2004 Michigan State Fair Premium Book go to

and either go to the link or phone. Once you access the Michigan
State Website, you will want to click on Community Arts on the
Sidebar, then the second Premium Book is broken into 4 sections and
your needlework stuff starts on Pg. 13,

Section 10 EMBROIDERY ON FABRIC
Class 260 Clothing stitched with any fiber
261 Personal accessories stitched with any fiber
262 Household accessories stitched with any fiber
263 Mounted picture stitched with any fiber (max size after
framing 18 x24")
264 Mounted picture stitched with any fiber (larger than
18" x 24")
265 Cross stitch, pre-stamped
266 Candlewicking
267 Ribbon Embroidery
268 Pillow
269 Any Other not listed above

Section 11 COUNTED CROSS STITCH
(over 80sq. in) before framing
280 Design area, max 80 sq in ( 8" x 10")
281 Design area, max 120 sq. in (10 x 12")
282 Design area, max 154 sq. in (11 x 14")
283 Design area, more than 154 sq. in (11 x 14")
284 Original Design (submit with pattern on day of delivery)
285 Afghan
286 Any other not listed above

(under 80 sq. in) before framing
290 Sampler, including three of the following: alphabet or
numerals etc.
291 Wall hanging, not framed
292 Linens
293 Pillow
294 Clothing
295 Afghan
296 Any other not listed above

Section 12 NEEDLEPOINT
300 Furniture
301 Mounted Picture
302 Original design
303 Petit Point'
304 Plastic Canvas
305 Quick Stitch or long stitch
306 Home Accessories
307 Any other not listed above

I hope this give you an idea of all the areas there are to enter. The
thing I find most amazing is that because of dwindlilng
participation.......some categories had only one or two entries and a
few had NO ENTRIES AT ALL!
That means if you made a nifty thing and didn't bother to enter
it.......you let the chance of winning back some of your project costs
slip away!

I hope you have taken a moment to loook over the list and think over
some of the projects you have made this past year.
Joy

Old May 18th 04, 01:58 AM
Darla

On Mon, 17 May 2004 01:15:05 -0500, Suzanne
wrote:

Was Spirit Woman your own design or from som
needlework company?

She was a Bucilla/Zweigart collaboration--a chart, thankfully, not a
kit. You can see her at www.picturetrail.com. The user name is
Condorita, and she's in the first of my XS albums. All the flesh was
over one.
Old May 19th 04, 01:46 AM
Suzanne

wrote:

Was Spirit Woman your own design or from som needlework company?

She was a Bucilla/Zweigart collaboration--a chart, thankfully, not a
kit. You can see her at www.picturetrail.com. The user name is
Condorita, and she's in the first of my XS albums. All the flesh was
over one.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.

Spirit Woman looks beautiful and deserving of rewards. I love all your
xstitch. Is Spirit Woman still available anywhere? I tried Googling
it but can't find anything.

Old May 19th 04, 03:52 AM
Darla

On Tue, 18 May 2004 19:46:36 -0500, Suzanne
wrote:

Is Spirit Woman still available anywhere? I tried Googling
it but can't find anything.

To the best of my knowledge, Suze, it's been OP for quite some time.
I'd pass it along, but I'm not willing to give it up just yet. Not
sure why, since I've no intention of stitching her again. Just not
ready to let her go. shrug