Life's story

Old August 28th 03, 08:24 AM
buddy

Default Life's story

Do we all have to tell our life's story on this group?
A little bit about sewing and quilting is enough.
DM

Old August 28th 03, 09:30 AM
Sharon Harper

But we are friends, if not family. And family and friends share most
things, especially stories. Sure 'nuff there's plenty about sewing and
quilting. But I'm always interested in the gossip. And if I'm not, well, I
jest don't read it. 'Nuff said. Now where was that gosh darn needle?
Oww...

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
m...

Old August 28th 03, 09:40 AM
ruffian

Do we all have to tell our life's story on this group?
A little bit about sewing and quilting is enough.
DM

I don't think you are forced to tell anything ( or read anything) that you
don't want to......

Flossy
Malvern England
***** Queen of Plaids ******
http://photos.yahoo.com/flossy3353

I agree w/Buddy and disagree w/Flossy. This NGrp is like looking in a
"junk drawer": You want to find something you hope is in there
somewhere, but you have to wade through a lot of stuff to find it. It
does no good to say "ignore everything there but what you're looking
for" We are human, yet almost as curious as our cats.

I'm new at quilting, get help here, and appreciate it. Some of the
"old hands" who know their craft well and willingly share their
experience also like to talk about a lot of other stuff with their friends.

Some might respond that I'm paying the price of admission by being an
"outsider". Like a child: be seen if necessary, but not heard. Your
opinions don't count here. Power sometimes corrupts. I don't like it,
but it's "their" NGrp by sheer number of posts.

On balance, it's worth my time, since it's the only game in town. And
thanks for sharing information on quilting.

Old August 28th 03, 09:53 AM
Charlie

You vould always just filter out messages that have OT in the subject or
something. That's what I did when I didn't have time.

Charlie.

Old August 28th 03, 11:47 AM
Patti

This kind of message always upsets me.
It sounds so accusatory. There are no compulsory revelations here.
We have here the age-old subject of group dynamics.
It is wrong to expect that this group should be any different from
physical groups of people, gathering because of a common interest.
Please read the following three paragraphs as applicable to cyber and
physical groups.:

There are those who were founder members of the group; there are those

who have been around in the group for many years; there are those who
have come along each month, and their membership is, by definition, for
a longer or shorter time. Their knowledge of one another is usually
proportional to that time. There are those who belong, but who are
either too shy to take part in a conversation; or who simply do not wish
to do so - or even may not attend meetings. If other members are not
aware of this they cannot, of course, be included; if they are aware,
then these folk are usually encouraged to participate fully. If they do
not wish to, it is their choice, and that is respected.

Any person entering a group, for the first time, cannot know the
history of each and every member - instantly. Over time, some knowledge
may be acquired (or not). Gradually it becomes apparent that there are
those with whom a friendship could never be formed - not that there is
anything wrong with either person, simply that the 'chemistry' is not
there. On the other hand, there are those who immediately 'click' with
another member and a friendship begins. This may be superficial or deep
and close, just depending on how things pan out. There are as many
different personalities as there are members.

It certainly takes time to find one's feet in any group. At first, it
might only feel 'safe' to discuss topics germane to the purpose of the
group. Gradually one might feel freer to introduce other topics which
one might feel would be of interest to others. Later on, one might ask
for help on personal matters; or one might turn to them in time of
distress. And so it grows.

On this newsgroup there are people who are geographically close, and
others who even belong to the same Guild. This does give them more
familiarity and they can post pithy messages, to one another, within
the group which could, if one was not aware of the existing friendship,
appear excluding of others. This will always happen in any group. It
is inevitable. I have to be one of the most thin-skinned people on
earth! yet I came to understand this quite quickly. There is no
malicious or cliquey intention at all.

As to your - or any other newbie - being an 'outsider', it takes a
considerable time for everyone to become aware of a new member. If you
have been reading for any length of time, you must have seen how new
members are joyfully greeted. You will not get known if we do not see
you, or know your name - even an alias to sign your posts (many are used
within the group). This is not a criticism, just an explanation of why
you might be feeling so. Your opinions do count, of course.

I dislike your use of the word 'junk'. But, using your analogy in spite
of that, many people have found great treasure in a junk drawer; others
derive pleasure from riffling through, especially if there are
circumstances whereby their acquisition of knowledge and opportunities
for chatting with others are limited.

If you would like to try a really strict On Topic quilting group, you
might like the British Quilt List (BQL) a Yahoo group. You simply sign
up to subscribe. It is not restricted to British nationals - there are
several people from the States who are members. There is a membership
of about 700. I am not advertising for them, as I am no longer a
member.

I hope to goodness that this post is read in the spirit in which it was
written. I would be mortified in the extreme, if anyone thought I was
starting a flame war here. Those who know me - anywhere - would know I
could not do that.
..
In article , ruffian
writes

[...]

Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 28th 03, 11:58 AM
frood

Yes, not only do you have to tell your entire life story, including intimate
details such as are found on the talk shows, making up good stuff if you are
boring, but you also have to send a FQ to everyone before we let you post.
:-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

m...

Old August 28th 03, 12:47 PM
CHARLES MURPHY

IMHOI think you are missing THE point of quilting, it is a metaphor for
life....It is a way of linking people who would otherwise not
associate....it has historically been like this and I think those who
embrace the spirit of sharing that quilting embodies also reach out
naturally to others. In this world of alienation from our fellowman/woman,
I personally am drawn to the people as much as the quilting.

--
Mauvice in Central WI USA
m...

Old August 28th 03, 12:53 PM
Sharon Harper

Take this wonderful example. I was doing as my Boss Lady, aka Butterfly,
said and devoting my 20 daily minutes to the nightmare quilt, and while up
checking on one of the DDs I came to see what y'all might be talking about.

BTW in case Ma'am Butterfly is listening I've managed to do 7
whirlimacallits in 2 days. Now back to scheduled regular whinin' :P

--
"CHARLES MURPHY" wrote in message
IMHOI think you are missing THE point of quilting, it is a metaphor

for
life....It is a way of linking people who would otherwise not
associate....it has historically been like this and I think those who
embrace the spirit of sharing that quilting embodies also reach out
naturally to others. In this world of alienation from our

fellowman/woman,
I personally am drawn to the people as much as the quilting.

--
Mauvice in Central WI USA
m...

Old August 28th 03, 01:15 PM
Karlee in Kansas

I'm going to crawl out of the woodwork to comment on this one. YES its
long, but that is my normal MO. Either read or delete, its your choice,
but remember, you asked.

First off, a LOT of us have been reading this group for YEARS. You develop
friendships, some of which may last a lifetime. You get so close to some
people that you start to think of them as family. Most of us would start
to go through withdrawals (and do if we are away from the computer for more
than a week) without each other. Most of us worry when people don't post
as often as they used to (I'm guilty of not posting as frequently, but I'm
pregnant, due any day, and heaven forbid I should bore you with the details
of my baby's upcoming birth, although I know a ton of people here that
would love to read an update). We are friends and yes, like Momma Sharon
said, family. We are joined by a common interest, quilting, but after a
while, you find yourself discussing more of your life with people. It's
how this ng has been since I started reading/posting over 5 years ago.

Second, instead of sitting around trying to change something that has been
done this way for nearly 10 years, either ask for help on filtering OT
posts (more than a few will offer help, no matter what your reader is),
skip the OT posts, or realize that this is more like a real life quilting
bee than anyone could ever imagine. At real life quilting bee's and
guilds, people keep up with each other. They offer support, happy dances,
share grief, and offer prayers (or warm thoughts depending on religious
preference). Here you will get cyber hugs, cyber tissues, prayers of
support, cyber shoulders to cry on when you feel that no one else
understands, and people will grieve with you in personal loss, jump for joy
at the birth of a new baby, and you really don't want to hear what happens
with this group when they find out you are getting married (its a long,
personal story, brings tears to my eyes no matter how many times I tell the
story, and to people not on the NG that aren't familiar with what a HUG is,
totally baffling that people that have never met one another will come
together for the most treasured of all gifts.)

Third, if you have a question and don't want to search for the answer on
google, ask. I don't know of any quilter on this group that would rather
send you on a hunt than answer it for you. We all started off somewhere,
and we all remember where we started. I'm not the best quilter in the
world, but I will offer what I can.

Fourth, if you are going to post a snarky question like you did, you have
the scent of a troll. Trolls are the ONE living thing on this planet I
rarely feed. I hope they starve themselves and shrivel up into little
raisins so I can cook them with a magnifying glass. BUT you hit a nerve
with me. A BIG nerve. Maybe its hormones, maybe its me getting impatient
with labor (according to my doctor last night, I've been in the early
stages of labor for about 2 days and it feels like I'm not ever going to
give birth), but either way, you opened your mouth, and I know I'm not the
only one that is going to come running to the defense of the group, for the
groups sake. There are other quilting forums out there (they have already
been suggested), or you can go to MSN or Yahoo and start your own. Be
forewarned though, quilters love to chat, and you will probably find
yourself amassed in an ocean of OT posts wherever you go.

Karlee in Kansas

u...

Old August 28th 03, 01:15 PM
Joan8904

Do we all have to tell our life's story on this group?
A little bit about sewing and quilting is enough.
DM

Amen. I cannot begin to tell you how little I care about reading about other
people's trials and tribuations. OT usually takes care of that problem. But
often the quilting answers are buried by responses that have no relevance
whatsover. Like everything else, gotta take the bad with the good.

However, if you upset the board 'divas,' prepare to be scorched. : They are
very tolerant of most everything except criticism.

joan

joan o'reilly
New 311 Album--EVOLVER--July 22nd
www.311.com

STORY - I think we need a story right now Kathy N-V Beads 4 February 4th 05 05:55 PM
funny joke about beads [email protected] Beads 0 December 19th 04 02:05 PM
Story - A MIL Story Jalynne Beads 2 March 8th 04 01:30 PM
Story - The Party Kandice Seeber Beads 0 November 9th 03 01:37 PM