Binding query...

Old July 13th 13, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

Default Binding query...

Hello!

I recently decided to finish an ancient Asian Style lap quilt. I do mean ancient! The lap quilt was started in 2002. All the blocks were made but I just never cut the strips for the skinny and wide borders. Nor did I cut and make the bias binding.

Fast forward to present day...

Whilst caffeine deprived, I attempted to cut the wide border strips. I needed to cut seven 6.5 inch strips. In my haste (and fatigue), two of my strips were cut wrong. They are 5.25 and 5.5 inches respectively. Yikes! I do have enough of this fabric remaining to correctly cut two more border strips. But, in doing so, I won't have enough yardage remaining to make my bias binding. Do I have to even have to make bias binding? Or can I cut these two wonky border strips and piece them on an angle and then cut and piece the remaining fabric in the same manner to make my binding?

If this query doesn't make any sense, well we should just chalk it up to severe caffeine withdrawal.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

- dlm.
Old July 13th 13, 08:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"- dlm." wrote in message
Hello! (snip)
Fast forward to present day...

Whilst caffeine deprived, I attempted to cut the wide border strips. I
needed to cut seven 6.5 inch strips. In my haste (and fatigue), two of my
strips were cut wrong. They are 5.25 and 5.5 inches respectively. Yikes! I
do have enough of this fabric remaining to correctly cut two more border
strips. But, in doing so, I won't have enough yardage remaining to make my
bias binding. Do I have to even have to make bias binding? Or can I cut
these two wonky border strips and piece them on an angle and then cut and
piece the remaining fabric in the same manner to make my binding?

If this query doesn't make any sense, well we should just chalk it up to
severe caffeine withdrawal.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

- dlm.

HTH A bunch of years ago I read that you can cut your binding strips from
selvage to selvage and it will have a lot of stretch. So I have been doing
this since and not fooling with a bias strip. After all, I am not turning a
curve when I bind a quilt!
Barbara in wet SC

Old July 13th 13, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

With malice and aforethought, I cut my binding straight along the selvedge
edge. Quite on purpose. The way it handles and wears makes me happy. You
Know you want me to be happy. Polly

Old July 13th 13, 09:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 3:30:18 PM UTC-4, Polly Esther wrote:

Hey Polly! So nice to "see" you again. When I cut the strips for the large border, I cut them parallel to the selvedge edge. Are we speaking about the same thing? Why-oh-why did I give up caffeine?

- dlm. 'who is about to do a face-plant onto my cutting station'

Old July 13th 13, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

Thanks for the reply, Bobby! I really do need a caffeine infusion because I need clarification. Does this mean that you are cutting the strips for the binding perpendicular to the selvedge edge? In doing so, the length of each strip would be the length of remaining yardage?

- dlm.

Snipped blathering that I posted and retained your reply

Old July 13th 13, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"- dlm." wrote in message
Thanks for the reply, Bobby! I really do need a caffeine infusion because I
need clarification. Does this mean that you are cutting the strips for the
binding perpendicular to the selvedge edge? In doing so, the length of each
strip would be the length of remaining yardage?

- dlm.

If your yardage is 45 inches wide, then your strips would be 45 inches long
X 4" of selvage on each end------or ever how wide you wanted the piece to be
to be made into a binding. Hope this is clear.
Barbara in WET SC

Old July 13th 13, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

Whoo Hoo! I understand what you were saying...

Thanks so much Barbara.

- dlm.

snip

Old July 14th 13, 12:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Nope. That's not what I do. I cut *straight along the selvedge*.
Actually, I cut the selvedge off and save it for tying up tomato plants or
bundling fallen tree limbs. Cutting across, that is - from selvedge to
selvedge - will have a little more stretch or 'give'. I like for mine to be
firm, no give, take no hostages. For sure, it is your choice. I hope we are
talking about a square or rectangle. Please tell me we're not doing curves.
Polly

Old July 14th 13, 12:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
CaroleD-Retired and Loving It

Unless the edges of your quilt are curved, you don't have to use bias
binding at all. I do almost all of mine with straight edge binding.

^.....^
(=' * '=) Carole D