Need a rotary cutter!

Old July 9th 13, 08:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

Default Need a rotary cutter!

I don't mean the implement but the person who wields it. I started to trim up some fabrics to make fat quarters, 5-1/4"squares, 6-1/8" squares and 4-14" squares --not pretty at all unless I cut single layer --- I found that my arm strength is more diminished than I had thought last week (don't even ask about my legs). I am now thinking that I will have to incorporate more paper piecing into all or any project that I take on - I could scissor cut smaller scraps and save on snacks and chocolate for the rotary cutter slave, not to mention the sleeping arrangements! I have a large Judy Niemeyer sunflower patern waiting for attention which might even tempt my sister into ' liking' a finished quilt for herself?
It is probably a good time to start pulling out the pre-cuts too? I managed alright to work on the appliqué pieces for the McKenna Ryan wallhanging with fusibles and there are still a couple of bird houses that need to be finished. The big test with that one will be to take my sewing machine up off the floor (25lbs) and then relearn as much as I can about the Designer Diamond as I once knew before attempting to even thread it up and clean it (not necessarily in that order...
All in all, I am back to basics and baby steps to start over from the beginning. Jennifer in Otawa.
Old July 9th 13, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

That's great that you are feeling so energetic! Just don't wear yourself
out :-)

marcella

Old July 9th 13, 06:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole Doyle

Too bad Waleska, GA isn't closer to Ottawa! I could be a helper once in a
while.

You'll need to be sure that if you are trying to rotary cut, you have a
fresh, sharp blade. That would make it easier for you.

^.....^
(=' * '=) Carole D
-(,,)---(,,)-

Old July 10th 13, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

So far today, I have had another 6hrs of sleep in two naps (afternoon and evening) which is becoming my routine - I don't sleep through the night anymore and the waking hours are usually when I want to do something other than tv or read, but only when my legs feel strong.
I will know in the am whether my hgb has dropped significantly this month to warrant another blood transfusion in the near future - so fingers crossed that chemo can happen on Thurs as scheduled.....Jennifer in Ottawa
Old July 10th 13, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

Thank you, Carol! Ottawa is a good place to spend time whenever you want to travel plus the exchange rate works in your favour at the moment. Jennifer in Ottawa
Old July 10th 13, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

Old July 10th 13, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Just little suggestions that may help a bit. An aged rotary MAT makes it
harder to cut and scissors that are in need of sharpening do too. It causes
my thrifty brain some pain but I just must replace my mats and get my
scissors sharpened or maybe buy a new pair. Polly

Old July 10th 13, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

I have stockpiled varied cutting mats for years - all sizes and colours so I have lots of choice - same is true of my replacement blades - I have lost count of their number but all are oiled and safely stored. Some would wonder why I have so much invested in notion supplies but my answer has always reverted to the days when my allergies were more of a problem than now - I used to sew at odd hours without the benefit of fabric store shopping - I wanted enough supplies on hand to solve the problem of transport and avoidance of allergens. Jennifer in Ottawa

New rotary cutter? Polly Esther[_5_] Quilting 33 September 29th 09 07:14 PM
Rotary cutter help please Ruth[_2_] Quilting 2 August 3rd 07 02:05 PM
rotary cutter Sara Lorimer Quilting 2 January 28th 06 01:35 AM
rotary cutter help Derek Hartmann Quilting 5 January 6th 04 06:28 PM
rotary cutter help Charlotte Hippen Quilting 9 January 5th 04 08:00 PM