Question about baking 2 different clays

Old February 15th 07, 11:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Martha

Default Question about baking 2 different clays

Hi, I've got a bunch of Sculpey III blocks and scrap, but I don't use it.
I'm using Premo and Kato Clay. Sculpey bakes for 15 minutes and the others
for 1/2 hour per 1/4"

My question is, can I use the Sculpey III for the innards if I'm covering
beads and other stuff with cane slices of Premo or Kato? Or does the time
difference for baking make it inadvisable to bake an object with a core of
Sculpey III for 30 minutes or more? I'm afraid it might either a) crack, or
b) release toxic fumes.

Thanks for your responses,

Martha

Old February 16th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

It's fine to bake it longer than 15 minutes..and yes, you can use it for
bead guts, however if you cover with Kato, you need to bake at the
Sculpey temp. If the S3 temp is lower than 275, there is a chance that
the Katoclay will not cure properly. Kato will cure from 275 up to 300
(Farenheit)

Barbara

Bead & Polymer Clay Votary

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

http://www.penguintrax.com and http://www.backseatgrammarian.com
NEW! http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com

Old February 16th 07, 06:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Martha

Both clays say 275 F. I will go ahead and try it. I sure hope there are no
fumes because right now opening windows here in New England could be
hazardous to one's checkbook :-)

I'm so glad somebody is out there besides spammers! Thanks for the reply.

Martha