Quilt as a door?

Old July 12th 03, 05:34 AM
IMacNat

I love that outhouse pattern - it looks like it has a lot of small pieces...not
sure if I'm up to a project like that, yet... on the other hand it would be a
nice test of my skills...

Thanks for the link!

Natalie in Mesquite, NV
Old July 12th 03, 09:37 AM
Kate Dicey

IMacNat wrote:

I totally agree with you! This entire development is like that - no doors -
and what's crazy is... when using the potty - I can see out the doorway into
the larg vanity mirror - and then out to the main bedroom door - so if someone
walks in or by the room - HELLO - Am I a privacy freak or what?

Natalie

Not at all! There are some things better NO shared! We are not, after
all, looking here for the House of Easement at Hampton Court Palace -
where they had rows of holes all in big rooms, and pooing was a social
occasion!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old July 12th 03, 12:22 PM
Nbhilyard

I've just read through all the posts on this....my .02 is that you should
*always* use the exhaust fans when you use the shower/tub. I don't know why a
quilt-as-a-door would get mildewed or unduly damp; you're not using it *in* the
shower. The exhaust fan advice is from the home inspector when I bought this
house. (The master bath here is an add-on, has no windows.)

Do consider that a quilt-as-a-door can be heavy, even a summer (no-batting)
quilt.

But while we're talking about bathroom design -- I fail to understand the
appeal of the huge bathrooms in these big new houses. Any bathroom use for me
is private. Why do I need two sinks if I'm going to be the only person in
there? Anyway, there are other parts of my house where I prefer to hang out.
(Like my sewing room.)

Nann in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that
one is always making exciting discoveries."
A. A. Milne
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Old July 12th 03, 04:52 PM
Judy Grevenites

Oh Nann! How gauche!! You mean that you will not be throwing any
cocktail privvy parties?? RedQueen

Old July 12th 03, 10:48 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Another thing that amazes me is windows/skylights in closets!
I would not want that much sunlight on my clothing storage area.
(Nor my quilting stash!!)

One model home we toured had a big picture window in the walk-in closet,
which also had a straight view into the master bath, and no closeable
door in between. That, of course, means you need to constantly have the
window covered, which defeats the whole point of a window AFAIK!

And why are they locating the walk-in closets so you have to go through
the master bath to get your clothes? DH and I can't figure this one out,
but it's in more than half the models we've seen, especially the more
expensive ones. Maybe we're just hicks, but that would drive me crazy!
(I know, I know, very short trip!!! LOL)
--
Kathy Applebaum (Woodland, CA)
Longarm Machine Quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

(remove the obvious to reply)
Old July 12th 03, 11:20 PM
teleflora

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
news:1fxznjy.neg8et10hr10iN%Kathy_A@KayneyNOSPAMqu ilting.com...
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Another thing that amazes me is windows/skylights in closets!
I would not want that much sunlight on my clothing storage area.
(Nor my quilting stash!!)

One model home we toured had a big picture window in the walk-in closet,
which also had a straight view into the master bath, and no closeable
door in between. That, of course, means you need to constantly have the
window covered, which defeats the whole point of a window AFAIK!

And why are they locating the walk-in closets so you have to go through
the master bath to get your clothes? DH and I can't figure this one out,
but it's in more than half the models we've seen, especially the more
expensive ones. Maybe we're just hicks, but that would drive me crazy!
(I know, I know, very short trip!!! LOL)
--

You have to go thru my bath to get to the closet. It drives me crazy. One
of us is always waiting to get to the closet because here's a built in

Cindy

Old July 12th 03, 11:30 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article 1fxznjy.neg8et10hr10iN%Kathy_A@KayneyNOSPAMquilti ng.com,
(Kathy Applebaum) wrote:

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Another thing that amazes me is windows/skylights in closets!
I would not want that much sunlight on my clothing storage area.
(Nor my quilting stash!!)

One model home we toured had a big picture window in the walk-in closet,
which also had a straight view into the master bath, and no closeable
door in between. That, of course, means you need to constantly have the
window covered, which defeats the whole point of a window AFAIK!

And why are they locating the walk-in closets so you have to go through
the master bath to get your clothes?

Usually the idea is that you are in the bathroom already having just
showered and then into the closet to get dressed. I know it's not
always what happens...like I don't shower in the morning before I get
dressed and then shower again before I put on my jammies at bedtime, but
this is the "thing" right now. Does seem like all the houses are being
built this way.

A friend of mine has the huge bathroom two steps up from the bedroom.
No door. Just a lovely shower, sink area and toilet. Guess it's for
people who like to be onstage while they...erm...well, not my idea of a
good time. I just hope there's good venting or the whole bedroom will
be uh fragrant at time, or steamy at times.

Gotta wonder at architects sometimes.

DH and I can't figure this one out,
but it's in more than half the models we've seen, especially the more
expensive ones. Maybe we're just hicks, but that would drive me crazy!
(I know, I know, very short trip!!! LOL)

It would make it just a tad difficult to get dressed if someone is busy
in the bathroom. I dunno, maybe I'm just out of step and most couples
walk in on eachother at any time and it's no big deal. There are things
I'd rather not be on display for though.

marcella
Old July 13th 03, 01:35 AM
Kathy Applebaum

Diana Curtis wrote:

I have a crazy floor plant too.

Sheesh! I can't get away with ANYTHING around here!!!

Old July 13th 03, 02:43 AM
taria

If you are a hick consider yourself in good company!
Short trip for me too Kathy ( that crazy one) Is that
because we are Californians? VBG
Taria

One model home we toured had a big picture window in the walk-in closet,
which also had a straight view into the master bath, and no closeable
door in between. That, of course, means you need to constantly have the
window covered, which defeats the whole point of a window AFAIK!

And why are they locating the walk-in closets so you have to go through
the master bath to get your clothes? DH and I can't figure this one out,
but it's in more than half the models we've seen, especially the more
expensive ones. Maybe we're just hicks, but that would drive me crazy!
(I know, I know, very short trip!!! LOL)
--
Kathy Applebaum (Woodland, CA)
Longarm Machine Quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

(remove the obvious to reply)

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm
Old July 13th 03, 02:48 AM
John A.

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:30:24 GMT, Marcella Tracy Peek
wrote:

A friend of mine has the huge bathroom two steps up from the bedroom.
No door. Just a lovely shower, sink area and toilet. Guess it's for
people who like to be onstage while they...erm...well, not my idea of a
good time. I just hope there's good venting or the whole bedroom will
be uh fragrant at time, or steamy at times.

Gotta wonder at architects sometimes.

Yeah, I hate it DW sprays on her perfume when I'm in the room.

This all reminds me of a bathroom I saw in a magazine a few years
back. The shower was just an open area with a drain in the floor, no
door or curtain, or even a lip on the floor. Presumably the floor
sloped a little bit toward the drain. It was a wood floor, by the way,
as were the walls. I think it was clear-coated somehow to protect it
from the water.

JA