Quilt as a door?

Old July 11th 03, 06:53 AM
IMacNat

Default Quilt as a door?

Hi -

I've finally gotten moved & unpacked! Now if we could just get use to the
heat!

Here's my big question... In the new house the master bath doesn't have a door
on it. There is a frame and all, but no door. The little room with the potty
& shower is really too small to have a door open inward & I guess the vanity
area is too small to have one open outward so they skipped it. On to my
question...I gotta have some privacy! For now I've put up a spring rod and
tossed a piece of fabric over it - what do you think abut a quilt made to fit
that area? I'm thinking make it just the size of the door opening so it will
hide the entire area -

Love to hear your thoughts and ideas

Natalie in Mesquite, NV
Old July 11th 03, 07:13 AM
Sharon Harper

I'm thinking this sounds great - with lots of duckies and things all over
it. Have you purchased the house? If so, what about installing a cavity
sliding door, where the door slides back "into" the wall?

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

Old July 11th 03, 10:21 AM
Kate Dicey

IMacNat wrote:

Hi -

I've finally gotten moved & unpacked! Now if we could just get use to the
heat!

Here's my big question... In the new house the master bath doesn't have a door
on it. There is a frame and all, but no door. The little room with the potty
& shower is really too small to have a door open inward & I guess the vanity
area is too small to have one open outward so they skipped it. On to my
question...I gotta have some privacy! For now I've put up a spring rod and
tossed a piece of fabric over it - what do you think abut a quilt made to fit
that area? I'm thinking make it just the size of the door opening so it will
hide the entire area -

Love to hear your thoughts and ideas

Natalie in Mesquite, NV

Sounds like an excellent idea. I made a curtain to fit a bathroom door
once... There was nowhere sensible to hang a door, though there was
archaeological evidence of there having been one at one time. The
bathroom was an en-suite, so didn't need the hard privacy of a solid
door with lock! You can see it on my web site - the four poster bed
project.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old July 11th 03, 11:47 AM
Miriam \Mim\ Spencer

I think that's an ideal solution!! You got me to think about the cottage --
the bedrooms have no doors and I have curtain/drape material for privacy --
Quilts would be so clever!! Thanks --

Mim

Old July 11th 03, 11:49 AM
Diana Curtis

I love the idea of a quilt for a door, but not for the bathroom. The quilt
might hold moisture to long, not dry out quickly enough to prevent it from
molding in the long haul. Consider using a piece of nice looking mostly
poly/cotton blend instead. It dries fast. Thats what I use as a shower
curtain. It keeps water in the tub and dries surprisingly fast.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old July 11th 03, 11:50 AM
Polly Esther

When you recover from "move and unpack", I'm sure you will find a privacy
solution that will be great.We have friends with open door bathrooms in
their master bathrooms. When there's a party at one of these, the ladies
simply take turns blocking the potty from view for each other by standing in
the door. Some of the ladies were really good at door blocking. (Now that's
a dirt road we won't go down.)
Meanwhile, perhaps a sheet towel or beach towel?
There are curtain / drapery rods that swing out.
What about a skinny pair of swinging doors? We had some between our
dining room and butler's pantry (a term that will always tickle us, "butler"
indeed). We had to take those down because of near collisions in a
high-traffic area.
Oh yes. Just one more. What about strings of beads? Back in our hippie
days, we used to use those in doorways. I see them here and there in the
bed/bath decorator catalogs now. They're not expensive, don't block light
and would allow the steam from the shower to escape.
All of this - from Polly - who thinks that "decorate" means clean it off
and paint it off-white.

Old July 11th 03, 12:26 PM
CNYstitcher

There is also the option of a single, skinny bi-fold door, if you want
something a little more permanent than a quilt (although I do love that
idea).

They are made in a variety of sizes, so you might be able to find just
the right size. Also, there is a folding door....the kind that are
sometimes used as room dividers (to make one large room into several
smaller ones)...can't remember exactly what they are called, but when
closed, they only take up about 3-4 inches of door space.

Old July 11th 03, 09:24 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

The same "designer" who put my kitchen light switch in the living room. And
the hallway light switch at the far end of the hall (by the time I'm there,
I no longer need a light).
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

"teleflora" wrote in message

"IMacNat" wrote in message
[...]

My thoughts and ideas don't have much to do with a quilt so much as What

the
heck is going on with designers who don't think you need a door into the
master bath???? In searching for house plans, I keep running across this.
Guys do this I'm sure. No woman in her right mind says, "I'm going to
design this suite without a bathroom door. Who needs it anyway?"

Sheesh.
Cindy

Old July 11th 03, 09:33 PM
IMacNat

The sliding door is a great idea...but... no can do - one side is very short
only about 1 foot - the other side has the plumbing guts of the shower!